View Full Version : Feeling over weight? Going overboard on being slim

David
04-07-2003, 02:48 PM
Are you feeling over weight? If I had a friend like this, I would too.. Not sure what is up with this girl but I would say she is a model gone nuts on being slim. This isn't pretty.
I'm friends with a number of models, both runway and print, and they all geek on staying slim but this is scary. It definitely is not healthy

David
04-07-2003, 02:49 PM

David
04-07-2003, 02:49 PM

David
04-07-2003, 02:50 PM

David
04-07-2003, 02:50 PM

Chevygal55
04-07-2003, 02:58 PM
Oh My God!!!! David these are not for real right???

SCLady
04-07-2003, 03:02 PM
This can't be real, can it?

jdswifey02
04-07-2003, 03:05 PM
please tell me there are NOT men out there who think that is ATTRACTIVE!!! Ugh!! It makes me sick.... (and I am not just saying that 'cause I am a chubby girl!!) I would FAR rather be as chubby as I am than to ever look like that!!

MyLife1020592
04-07-2003, 03:17 PM
These girls should never be models and they would literally blow away with the wind...What is that movie "Gone with the Wind" That is what there tombstones will be saying if they don't pass away from malnutrietion (sp). That is the sickest thing that I have ever seen...

flygirlaa2
04-07-2003, 03:55 PM
jdswifey, these women are not trying to be attractive to men. If you ever compare the difference between models used in mens magazines and models used in womens magazines, it is at least 20 lbs. They are feeding into our insecurities. Just the fact that these designers do this and we still buy from them says the problem lies with us and not with them. Am I right? No?

Chevygal55
04-07-2003, 04:01 PM
My son said these must be fixed pics of models heads put on anorexic (how ever you spell it) bodies... Makes me cringe to even look at them~

AprilsBunch
04-07-2003, 04:01 PM
OMG! Who would want to look like that!

danielle
04-07-2003, 04:15 PM
It makes me sick to look at them! :(

David
04-07-2003, 04:19 PM
This is indeed a real model's body, but I think the 2nd and 3rd one is questionable. I've seen these before.
I think being this skinny is disgusting and shouldn't be modeled at all, either for men or women. There isn't anything attractive about this.

lulu
04-07-2003, 04:20 PM
omg, That made my belly hurt. Are these real?
I have friends that use to have that problem with wanting to stay thin. ( cant spell the right word) That is one seroius illness, and these girls where not modles.

Sunnie
04-07-2003, 04:49 PM
There are kids all over "dying" to be thin like this, not like this initially per se, but it becomes an obsession and any amount of body fat becomes discusting from what I have read aout anorexia. These pictures are sick!! and there is not one thing attractive about it far beyond the image it represents, and it seems to promote since these gals make money modeling that other's could too. Weight is such an issue for alot of women even myself, there's been times i have been preoccupied with my weight and want to lose some and then some...it's a self image problem, not being ok with who and what we are.. It's sad., and sick

sunnie

LilPinkWitch
04-07-2003, 04:59 PM
These women are modles from Friends of Anna.. I have seen them on a web page my daughter was looking at with some friends... It's a eating disorder support groop... But not to recover from the disorder but how to enhance it rather... Yes there are web sites out there that can and do tell our young women how to purge and how to go days weeks even without food and how to (help) keep there loved ones from finding out.... Scary huh...

KRIS_NC
04-07-2003, 06:06 PM
THAT IS RIDICULOUS THEY ARE LITERALLY WALKING SKELETONS....THEY NEED SOME SOUL FOOD

Chevygal55
04-07-2003, 06:10 PM
Or some good home cooked mexican food! Lol.... Between the two of us Kris we'll fatten them up! LOL....

Beck

sodaigakko
04-07-2003, 06:14 PM
"Mirror, mirror, on the wall ..."
Having now looked into this mirror, what shall we do?
Oh, ok.
sodaigakko stifles h'self

lulu
04-07-2003, 06:38 PM
I dont think it is funny. that just breaks my heart, these girls has a real illness and if they dont get help, they will die

lulu
04-07-2003, 06:39 PM
you cant just fatten them up, i wish it was that simple. They need help

Chevygal55
04-07-2003, 07:10 PM
Lulu I know this is an illness and I don't think any illness is funny....but what Kris and I were joking about is anytime you see someone thin you want to feed them and fatten them up.... and we both know soul food and mexican food is fattening~

Ivory
04-07-2003, 07:16 PM
This is no joke. I work with some girls who look like this....and still think they are too fat! These young girls are so underweight, they don't even menstruate!

Chevygal55
04-07-2003, 07:27 PM
Ya know Jeffsgirl I saw a movie on tv about that site. Or at least one of those sites. It is sick! And it is horrible that they have sites like that to encourage these girls!

And again let me say I was not laughing at these girls cuz this is no laughing matter. I was laughing with Kris about soul food and mexican food being fattening.... Just to make that clear....

sodaigakko
04-07-2003, 07:31 PM
Now we be thinking.
Does this problem exist in prisons too?
Just wondering.
so dai gakko

Chevygal55
04-07-2003, 07:36 PM
Well I know some loose alot of weight in prison but not by choice...but becuz they don't have alot to eat in there.... I know my man has lost alot of weight since he no longer works in the ODR....

flygirlaa2
04-07-2003, 07:56 PM
Another sad thing is once they do this to themselves and then (thru the grace of god) recover, there is still lasting damage done to your bodies from the ongoing starvation. Your kidneys fail and all sorts of bad thing. I had a crew chief in Tulsa who fought this with his daughter several years ago. He also had a terriable time fighting the insurace company to pay for he treatment. It is just so sad. She eventuall got to a healthy, low weight but it was too late. She died in her early twenties. :(

LilPinkWitch
04-07-2003, 08:23 PM
The only thing I could think of to discurage this in my daughter was to let her talk to a friend of mine who is a doctor and let het get the real hard facts... The truth is that the media puts such a unrealistic view on what a woman should look like that these young girls are getting afraid to eat anything... They all want to be rail thin... And the fact that there are sites out there that can and do teach them how to do it scares the crap out of me... I have to say that I keep a closer eye on my daughter now that I know she's looked at the friends of anna site... I'm a southern cook, so I know that the food I'm putting out is fattening... But we are talking about a 14 year old child... As far as I'm concerened she should'nt even know what dieting is yet... And let us not forget this is'nt something that strikes only our daughters but our sons as well... Thanks Fed-X for bringing this topic up...

KRIS_NC
04-07-2003, 08:43 PM
I KNOW ITS NOT A JOKE...BUT LIKE BECK SAID IT MAKES YOU WANT TO JUST FEED THEM

KConnor56
04-07-2003, 08:46 PM
David I know what you mean. I have known a few models over the years, & lived with one for a minute, & they all tripped on their weight. I don't like extreamly skinny women. I like a woman who has a little weight on her. Bobbie was 5'7" & her weight went from 125-135 which was fine for her build. When she dropped below 125 she looked skinny, & unatractive. When I would hold her I could feel her bones. It was a turn off. My daughter is very skinny due to a high metabolisim. Many people think she is anorexic, but she's not. She can eat anything she want's & she eats like a horse, but just doesn't gain weight. She is 5'6" & weights about 110, & looks it. It also looks very unhealthy. She is a very beautiful woman, but would be even more attractive if she had a little more weight on her.

JER
04-07-2003, 08:48 PM
Oh my yes I want to lose weight but not like that oh my god, that is sick, yuck...oooohhhhh scary.....JER

Barbara
04-07-2003, 09:53 PM
I am going right into the kitchen and eat everything I can find. Barbara

Lucrisid
04-08-2003, 01:09 AM
That was really scary... The other day my sis told me that her 11 year old is starting to starve herself and had admitted to also forcing herself to vomit after eating. This girl has no weight problem- she already was skinny. I had problems like that way back as a teen- I guess I was just hitting the borderline to being anorexic. I could go for days without solid food , my stomach had shrunk and it only took me half a banana to be full. Now I'm like Ken's daughter- it takes a lot for me to gain.

I will print this out and send it to my niece- maybe it will help her see what direction she is heading...

Tanya

Lysbeth
04-08-2003, 01:41 AM
My co-worker's kid (now almost 16) was worrying about dieting and being overweight (she wasn't, at all) when she was eight years old. Eight years old!!! It's really sick what kind of pressures society has placed on young women... it was bad enough when I was a young teenager, but nowadays it's drifted down into the much younger crowd... :(

lulu
04-08-2003, 07:33 AM
I have alwasy been small and I been accused of having this illness. I have always tried to gain weight with out any success. ( i am gaining alot of weight now) It always hurt me cause I was so small. I did not look like that though. That is just awful. I hear people say I wish I was as small as you, no you dont. I dont make my self sick such as these ladies, never have, and believe me, i eat like a horse,( softie, watch it lol ) but never gained. I even had a doctore ask me, do you make your self throw up. No way. It will kill a person eventually. You think agoraphobia is hard to live with and beat, you seen nothing till you have what these girls do.

Becky, Kris, I know, I am sorry for jumping. Just that I know what it is like to live with something that is hard to beat and I that these girl will die unless they get help. It hurts to seee them like this.

babygirl_aa2004
04-08-2003, 07:46 AM
that is really, really sick. I thought the girl from that show Will & Grace was discustingly skinny, I guess theres worse...

sherri13
04-08-2003, 07:46 AM
Eating disorders are very, very serious and can be fatal. I don't know whose original idea it was to make women think that "the thinner, the more attractive you are"-- but I think by now the industry (modeling) should recognize the need to use ALL sized women- I know they have to some degree with plus size models, etc--but the "ideal woman" is still portaryed as frightfully thin. This can and does devastate teen girls who may have a few extra pounds and may lead them to develop eating disorders that will plague them for the rest of their lives possibly.

yanigirl
04-08-2003, 07:53 AM
Those pictures were just scary. How can these women look in the mirror and think they look attractive. How can they undress infront of a man. I have an aunt who has been bulemic for as long as I can remember and I think she looks awful but you can't tell her that she's is not the bomb. To her the rest of us are all overweight. To me she looks sick. Due to her illness she has suffered hair loss which has resulted in her wearing a wig. Lord only knows how else her body is suffering and the long terms effects it will have on her. I blame the fashion industry for making young girls feel this is a picture of beauty. I don't even know how these skeletons are allowed to model clothing for us avaerage women to wear. It's not a reflection of a real women. Real women come in all shapes and sizes. Women are made to have curves. Atleast in my culture they are. My friends would clown me if I looked like that not to mention it would be hard to get a man. Most of the men I know love a large behind and breast, hips and thighs. I'm not saying be obese but look heathy. I feel like a womens curves is what makes us look feminine.

lulu
04-08-2003, 09:03 AM
when they look in the mirrow, it is not that they seen themself attractive. They seen them as fat and they have themself convinced of this. There are many that are afraid of being Fat. The whole proccess is scarry. It just kills me.

Freya
08-10-2003, 12:55 AM
Lulu,

You are very sweet and compassionate.

Having an eating disorder is an illness. Often times it is a way for a young girl to have total power and control over one aspect of her life. When I was a teen and well into my twenties, I suffered from an eating disorder. It becomes an addiction.

It is painful to see these pictures and also know what some of these girls are feeling inside.

HONEY
08-10-2003, 07:02 PM
I do not have an eating disorder. I have bad eating habits. I do not have bulemia or anorexia. Several years back I went from 125 lbs to below 95 lbs in a very short period (3 or 4 mos.) of time because I was depressed and I lived on coffee and cigarettes, Well I am barely 5 feet tall and being 125 was too much. But I was eating too much. The bottom line was that when I got down to 100, I keep weighing myself daily. I liked being "skinny". It did not matter to me that people said I was too thin. After years of being on the chubby side (bad eating and lack of exercise) thin was good. Anyway so I learned that my body was eating off of itself just for nourishment. I am not medically oriented. But the not wanting to eat took over. Then I could not eat. It made me ill. Well I did start eating and I am Ok. But for some reason I still never thought that I had a problem at 91 or 92 lbs. But I knew that weighing every day was a little screwy.

HONEY