View Full Version : phone cards for Louisiana inmates

charlies angel
05-22-2005, 11:17 AM
HI! my man is locked up in tangipahoa parish, can anyone provide me with any information on if inmates can use a phone card, all i have is my cell phone and im trying to find a way for him to contact me other than by mail.:idea:

sociologist
05-22-2005, 02:16 PM
Some parts of the state use Evercom and others use MCI. If he's in a place that uses Evercom, they will let you do a prepay for cell phones. You have to buy a minimum of $25.00 and there's an $8.00 fee for set up. They're on the internet at Correctional Billing Services. MCI doesn't allow inmate calls to go to a cell phone. As far as I know, no LA facility lets inmates use phone cards (wish they would though-it'd be a lot cheaper!).

mamicita
05-22-2005, 06:41 PM
i agree!
phone calls could be the best thing..."get to hear his voice"
but the worst thing as well..." the bill"
if it is worth it..u can find a way and it will be okay..on first i freaked out but then i came to my senses....it was worth it to do so.
there are different ways of going about things..itz all up to the rules there.. if u are not sure of ther rules..call the place where he at..and ask questions!..it might help...good luck!

charlies angel
05-23-2005, 10:10 AM
thanks for the help. i will check into the mci and evercom deal. :thumbsup:

Some parts of the state use Evercom and others use MCI. If he's in a place that uses Evercom, they will let you do a prepay for cell phones. You have to buy a minimum of $25.00 and there's an $8.00 fee for set up. They're on the internet at Correctional Billing Services. MCI doesn't allow inmate calls to go to a cell phone. As far as I know, no LA facility lets inmates use phone cards (wish they would though-it'd be a lot cheaper!).

babyc4life
08-07-2005, 08:23 AM
amite uses infinety network i really need the number bad anyone got it?

DoingTimeinLove
08-07-2005, 09:42 PM
Infinity is 1-866-681-2948

youngnlov
08-11-2005, 11:55 PM
infinity has prepaid phone cards but their customer service isnt all that great.

DoingTimeinLove
08-12-2005, 11:06 AM
There customer service SUCKS! The guy Caton or something like that now knows my voice and my name lol. The last time i called he transferred me to someone else.

Depending on what facility your man is in.. he can purchase phone cards off the store sheet. I know my bf can.. he's in West Carroll Detention Center. Depending on how far you are tho.. the phone cards dont last very long. Goes the same for Infinity.. when i figured out how much the calls would be prepaid.. it was like 6.25 per call. With $25 that's only about 3 calls.

youngnlov
08-12-2005, 07:59 PM
lol i feel ya doingtimeinlove i try to plan when to call the company just so i dont get caton. I wish he would transfer me because he acts like he doesn't like to do his job or something. I had a block on my line and we were on 3 way with my phone company. After he said everything was clear 2 days later the block was still there. The phone conversations are supposedly recorded whenever you call BellSouth so we called infinity back and got caton and he even pissed off the rep from BellSouth because he swore up and down that he didn't remember talking to them or me about taking a block off.

DoingTimeinLove
08-12-2005, 08:57 PM
GIRL. listen to this crap i went thru with caton..

I had a block last week.. so i called to find out how much i had to pay.. they told he told me an amount.. so i called bellsouth.. we called on three way cuz i had already paid it.. but then canton says i have to pay 320.. so i hang up ... call back bellsouth.. make the payment .. call back infinity on threeway and ended up talking to canton again. He then says i have to make a payment of 102 for credit.. so i got upset and told him he coulda told me this the previous two times i called and bellsouth and i hung up.. i had to call back bellsouth.. make the credit payment.. then call infinity back with bellsouth on threeway... Canton answered the phone again.. when he heard my voice he said hold on and transferred me to someone else that actually got the block off. I was sooo aggravated with him. I called back later that day to find out about prepaid and he answered the phone again and again transferred me. They need some new customer service reps.

adbrick
08-12-2005, 10:48 PM
DoingintimeLove, when your man uses the phone card is it still collect? I went through PCO and my calls are 7.28 for 15 minutes, but only beacuse of the collect part. It is $4.50 to connect then .16 minute. And I'm in Texas.

DoingTimeinLove
08-13-2005, 09:19 AM
Adbrick... no i dont think they are still collect because it does not show up on your phone bill. It just knocks time off of the phone card.

youngnlov
08-14-2005, 01:34 AM
yea doingtimeinlove that sounds like him. i hate hearing him pick up the phone. i always have to call back with bellsouth at least 3 times if ive talked to him about taking a block off. and then they finally give me someone new and it seems like it only takes them a few minutes to get the block off but when dealing with him he takes 3 or 4 days and still doesn't do anything.

i really dont like their prepaid phone card minutes either because it seems like they are used up so fast. and there is like a 10 dollar fee where i am to send the money through western union. they say if you send the money before 3:30 then it will be credited the same day but i still have to wait until after 5 for the minutes to be added on.

AWOL3
08-13-2006, 07:56 PM
I called my cell phone company and I can't accept collect calls- but they said I can buy a land line number (which I thought would be expensive, like $30 bucks a month just to get a call) and have it forward to my cell phone. I found a company online that is called Kall8 and I haven't signed up yet (he's still getting settled) but it was only like $2 or $4 a month and that might be cheaper. They can forward to my cell phone and I can get collect calls that way. Only one hitch so far, the land line numbers they have are in WA and I'm in TX and my boyfriend is in LA. **email address removed per PTO Policy - Please PM Member**

adbrick
08-13-2006, 08:54 PM
AWOL3, you might want to check out PrisonCallsOnline. I have them and it really is alot cheaper. And the service can be set up so you can recieve calls to your cell phone. I'm in Sugar Land, by they way.

HTH

Angela

MJG'S_B
08-13-2006, 10:06 PM
I just checked out that Kall8 site..and that would be a great deal..would turn my $8.75 for 15 mins into $1.05 and only $2.00 a month for the number...way cheaper...however..can the inmates call toll-free numbers?...Mine is in West Baton Rouge parish..(detention center)in Port Allen...

adbrick
08-14-2006, 08:49 AM
I don't think they can call a toll free number. Check into PCO Prison Calls Online. They set up a local number to the prison so you only pay the collect charges not the long distance charges, which is enormus. I live in Texas my husband is Louisiana. When he called in the beginning I was paying 17.59 for a 15 minute call. Now with PCO I pay 7.50 for the same 15 minute call. I do pay $26.00 a month just to have the local number, but it is well worth it. My phone bills went from $300 plus a month to between $100 - $150 depending on how much he calls.

And with PCO it can be set up to go to your cell phone, home phone, or any number you choose. I even have it going to my home phone, and when I travel I forward my home phone to my cell, and never had a problem.

Here's the link. http://www.prisoncallsonline.com/index.htm

AWOL3
08-14-2006, 09:36 PM
Sugarland- that's close! I'm in N. Houston, near Humble. I haven't decided about the phone thing. I wrote and said I'd set it up once he gets settled. It's only been a week and I'm loosing it.

AWOL3
08-14-2006, 09:37 PM
They can't call toll free, which is why you have to buy some lame Washington number, but I don't care if it means I can talk to him.

adbrick
08-14-2006, 10:33 PM
AWOL3, hey neighbor. It's best to wait to their settled to set up anything on the phone calls. I'm confused how they can give you a number in Washington and you not have to pay long distance charges on it. That seems to be the beauty of PCO, they set up a local number to the facility, so there are no long distance charges.

Hang in there, I can't say it gets better, but it does get easier, once you have all the information. The not knowing is always the hardest.

Any questions feel free to ask. I'm not on here like I use to be but I do check in almost daily.

Angela

AWOL3
08-15-2006, 09:12 AM
Just as an FYI- I called Madison Parish DOC this morning and they have a company that you have to go through to get the calls so I called them and got the account set up. But from what the woman at Madison said, he can call as often as he wants and I don't have to set up a land line- the calls can go to my cell phone. It's more expensive this way though, but for now it will have to do.

AWOL3
08-15-2006, 09:16 AM
Yes, the not knowing this past week has been the hardest part. He can get mail now and I have sent letters (first one was Saturday) so he may get them this week which means I may hear from him next week. He hates writing, so hopefully, he'll grow out of that because as much as I'm trying to be there for him, it's hard on me too not hearing from him or knowing what's going on. And the people at Madison seem to be friendly- they explained some of the rules and regulations regarding mail- he can't have packages or even books/mag subscriptions, but he can get he paper and money for the store. They also told me about visitation, but I explained that I live in Houston and visitation isn't possible right now (I have kids too) and they said I could probably call and talk to the Major there and get special visitation. Which would be really great because it is going to be hard to drive all that way, spend two hours with him, and then drive all the way back. I don't know how I'm going to afford all this, but I'll figure it out.

adbrick
08-15-2006, 11:16 AM
I know exactly what you mean. We are not letter writers either, at first we did write more, but since we get phone calls, our letters are very few. I was never able to get the special visit. Even though I come from Houston (Sugar Land) too. And my husband is at West Carroll which is only about 45 miles from the Mississippi border in the Northeast corner of LA. I managed to go every month for my visit. I did it more for the kids than me, but it really did help the time go by quicker cause we were always counting the days til the next visit. I would drive the day before visit, get a room, then drive back after the visit, 2 very long days. Two kids, 6 & almost 3 when we started, driving 6 plus hours one way, then visiting for 2 1/2 hrs then driving the 6 plus hours home, thank heavens for portable DVD players, they saved my sanity.

Oh and the mail from here to where my husband is takes 2 days. If I mail out a letter on Monday, he gets it on Wednesday. Don't know how it is at Madison. But I would think it wouldn't take any long than 3-4 days.

Hang in There

Angela

sarahlovesbuck
09-25-2006, 10:37 AM
my man is in amite and i was told to leave him money for him to buy a calling card to call me.. how does that work?? if anyone knows let me know...

petitblonde6969
07-21-2007, 11:12 PM
charlies angel.....my finance is at amite jail also and they can purchase calling cards once a week when they have store. they can only purchase
them on the friday store.

sammy whiteside
08-11-2008, 10:46 AM
HI! my man is locked up in tangipahoa parish, can anyone provide me with any information on if inmates can use a phone card, all i have is my cell phone and im trying to find a way for him to contact me other than by mail.:idea:

I just di 9 in the system. Once he leaves the parish he will be collect only. We tried do get the cards in the system and it was considered yet DOC is making to much off the phones. IN AVC it was like 1.5 mill in profit for the camp.