View Full Version : Any info of DVI

kathycoble
05-17-2005, 07:44 PM
New to the site, and its been a blessing for me. My husband was just transfered to DVI and I've called thier for that past 10 days and no one will answer the phone. I just got 3 ltrs returned to me because I put return labels on them. I have so much to learn and now I'm not sure if I can put a sticker stamp on the enevelop. How do I know if he is at reception or not? He put G318 on this letter, what is that? I feel helpless for him and kinda loosen it, any suggestions would be appreciated.

Pinky99
05-17-2005, 08:05 PM
My honey has never been at DVI so I have no idea on some of the things you asked. However you are not allowed to put any type of stickers and lipstick kisses on the envelope or the paper. Oh yeah and some don't even allow perfume to be sprayed on the paper. Their reasoning behind the whole no stickers thing is because drugs could like "acid" can easily be placed under the sticker. :rolleyes:

MissyDuran
05-17-2005, 08:53 PM
My friend was at DVI when he was in reception. Where did your husband get transferred from? Did he get sent there from County?

As far as letters, I would either write the addresses out with black or blue ink, or you can type the addresses on. Stickers are not allowed, but stamps that stick on are ok. They definately do not like perfume on the letters, they will return them. You can send in two note pads with 50 sheets of paper each, no spirals, two pens (blue or black ink) and they must be the BIC see through kind. 20 envelopes and a book of 20 stamps, or you can get the postage paid envelopes at the post office, they're like .49 cents each and you don't have to worry about sending in stamps that way. PM me if you have any other questions, I'll try to help out as best I can. My friend is no longer there, but spent almost 3 months there.

California Sunshine
05-18-2005, 09:46 PM
Don't have much to add to what the other ladies said,They are right on but I did want to say Welcome and believe me we were all lost at one point! Hang in there

Valerie
05-18-2005, 11:01 PM
Welcome to PTO and don't worry,you'll catch on. I'm glad you found us and I'm sure you will get lots of support.

PackagesRUsJZ
05-20-2005, 04:10 PM
Stickers are not allowed in any form. Also, G318 is his Unit/Cell# Where he is located in the prison. Any questions just ask.

New to the site, and its been a blessing for me. My husband was just transfered to DVI and I've called thier for that past 10 days and no one will answer the phone. I just got 3 ltrs returned to me because I put return labels on them. I have so much to learn and now I'm not sure if I can put a sticker stamp on the enevelop. How do I know if he is at reception or not? He put G318 on this letter, what is that? I feel helpless for him and kinda loosen it, any suggestions would be appreciated.

crstdrvn
05-21-2005, 12:39 PM
Kathy,
Welcome to PTO!
The other folks pretty much clarified your question about no stickers of any kind. Must print or handwrite your return address. I really wanted to say welcome.
My son has been to DVI for Reception twice (sigh) so if you have questions, just ask. I feel like a darn veteran of the place.

DVI is strict about what they allow to be sent in. Also very strict about the mail. And know that the mail moves slow there, especially when they first get there, so he may not get any for a while and think he has been abandoned. Happens to everyone when they first get there. Sending a simple greeting card or post card to get it in to him quickly can be a smart thing.
No phone calls and no canteen while in reception. He can be there for up to 60 days (supposedly) before he sent wherever they are going to house him to do his time (being sent to where he does his time called "mainlining.")
While in Reception, he is housed in a 2 man cell and only gets out for meals and showers. Pretty isolated and lots of down time, and nothing to read but Title 15, so mail is important.
Have him send you a signed visitor's form if you can, just as soon as you can. It takes a long time to get approved for visiting, but once approved, the approval goes with him wherever they send him and you will be good to go by the time they mainline him.

Most important things right now:
1.) writing materials--follow their recommendations as stated above or they mail the whole darn package back to you. You can always call the mail room and ask if you are not sure about something.
2. Stamps--send only one book at a time but he can use them for more than just letters. They are also used for bartering for things he needs.
2.) mail of any kind---simple plain greeting cards and postcards get in fast.
3.) visiting application---send it back ASAP.

That's a good start for you!
Hang in there, you'll have it down in no time :)

MamaSheila
05-24-2005, 02:03 PM
Hi and welcome to PTO.

Love, Sheila:thumbsup: :D :) ;) :p :o :yes: :hee: :wave: :yay: :dance: :clap: :hifive: :beer: :rock: