View Full Version : Segovia Prison Unit Texas info... That's now where my baby is.

honey2_28_05
05-16-2005, 11:12 PM
My poor guy's been moved so much, this is his latest location. Just our luck he has to end up as far away from home as possible! :rolleyes:

As far as what my honey says about this unit - he loves it there. He hates how far he is, but the facility isn't bad. It's very laid back. His only complaints are how hot is gets and how they do not get any sport or movie channels. It was VERY humid when I visited this weekend! Their dorms don't have a/c, so he said for the most part the guys walk around in their boxers or shorts with no shirts all day.

As far as visitation, the room is rather small, but clean and the staff is very nice. I flew in from the DFW area, so we got 2 4hr visits. You do have to put in for a "special visit" in advance. I'd love for my baby to be 2.5hrs away again, but at least he's not in a violent unit and he's not worried about being at risk of catching any cases.

a_coleman
05-17-2005, 03:39 PM
Im glad that you got a chance to visit. I told you that he would like that unit. My husband said the same thing when he was there. He wished that unit could be closer to home. Thats probablly one of the best units in TDCJ.

honey2_28_05
05-18-2005, 10:13 PM
Im glad that you got a chance to visit. I told you that he would like that unit. My husband said the same thing when he was there. He wished that unit could be closer to home. Thats probablly one of the best units in TDCJ.
Thank you SO much for all of your help! Hotwire.com was awesome and we had a great and much needed visits.

How long did your man stay there?

TxGyrl713
05-14-2006, 07:15 PM
I have a loved one in Segovia. I want to go visit him there. Is there a contact visit there and can you bring children there. He has a 7yr old daughter.

stillnlove
07-05-2006, 08:36 PM
Does anyone know anything about the Segovia Unit waaayyy down south in Edinburg Tx? My honey is 7 mo. away from comin home and they moved him down there. Now it will be about a 10-12 hr drive for me.

stillnlove
08-08-2006, 07:47 PM
Does ANYONE have someone in the Segovia Unit in Edinburg Tx? I don't ever see anyone post about this and I'm beginning to wonder??? Also, I haven't received a letter in over a week and I am concerned!! Please share with me if you know ANYTHING about this unit.
Thanks,
JB:confused:

txsfmhstn
08-09-2006, 12:24 AM
My son was there for about a year and a half. It is a laid back unit not much goes on there. The mail room is slow sometimes. I wouldn't worry to much.

jmm
12-30-2006, 05:32 PM
Pre-release prison , also heard a Trustee Camp. Very safe comfortable.

jmm
12-30-2006, 05:32 PM
At least he is on his way home ............ Thank God.

jmm
12-30-2006, 05:35 PM
If you are his wife - yes contact or mother of child . For prisons - It is the Best

kristah350
01-19-2007, 05:57 AM
My husband is in the Lopez unit right next door. The staff is nice and his mother and I go and visit 1x month as it's so far away from us. He got approved for parole with an FI-3R started his classes in January but unfortunately due to the infinite wisdom of the Parole Board still won't be released until June/July due to the fact they stated he couldn't start the class until April. Go Figure, that was one way to ensure he spent a whole year on a very trivial non-ag case.
At least he is coming home within 163 days.:D

RMD4EVER
04-15-2007, 05:24 PM
My husband just got transferred to segovia,yeah its way down there especially from Chicago lol,I plan on a visit in the summer a special contact visit and I need to know about hotels or whatever near the unit.Any help is appreciated.

kristah350
04-16-2007, 05:08 AM
Hi RMD4EVER,
Well my husband is in the Lopez unit, right next door to Segovia. I go down there 1x month for a special visit. I stay at a nice old hotel in Edinburg, It's very nice though. They give you a ticket for the breakfast in the morning (you get one for every night you stay) and a drink ticket for the bar that is located in the hotel. It is inexpensive. It's called the Echo Hotel and it is located 10 miles from the prison. If you need further information PM me, and I'll help you out.

RMD4EVER
04-17-2007, 03:03 PM
Hey Kristah,Thanks for the info I plan on flying down during the summer.The hotel sounds good enough for me,how's the town there?

kristah350
04-20-2007, 04:29 AM
Hey RMD4EVER,
The town is small, not much to do there. But if you want good margaritas and awesome mexican food, I suggest a restaurant by the name of Trevino's. It's not too far from the hotel and you pass it going to and from the prison. There is one sports bar, haven't been in there yet. But after I drive the 6 hours down there, not too interested in hanging out somewhere, besides there is a small bar in the hotel I told you about, and on the weekends, they have a live band. I haven't heard it but my mother-in-law went down there one night and had a blast. She is such a nut and I love her to death.

Hey Kristah,Thanks for the info I plan on flying down during the summer.The hotel sounds good enough for me,how's the town there?

RMD4EVER
06-30-2007, 07:38 AM
Well,not too many of us have loved ones way down there I see,lol.It is a pre release unit so maybe thats why.My husband put in for a call and got it the same week, wow,was I surprised to hear from him,his call beat the letter he wrote telling me he put in for one.Was great hearing his voice.We decided to wait this last 8 months out,to save $$'s ect on me traveling down but I sure am missing him.One thing I see is the slowness of him getting my letters,it doesn't take too long for me to get his though (about 4 days).They went on lockdown on Father's day (just for the day) someone lost something!Guess they found it,wonder if they they allowed visit's that day.Like everyone else on here he doesn't have any complaints about the unit just the distance of being way down there.Kristah,5 days only CONGRATS!!!

new2this
07-02-2007, 02:43 PM
my husband is not at segovia, but I am from Mcallen which is only a city away. If anyone needs info on the location, feel free to ask.
God Bless