View Full Version : Questions about Wasco

calichic
05-11-2005, 01:22 AM
:help: OK, hopefully the answer to this isn't posted somewhere and hopefully this isn't supposed to be in another category :hmm: :crosses fingers: OK, so here's my questions: I don't fully get the whole reception center thing. So how long are inmates held at Wasco? Is it strictly a reception place, where they are just eventually sent to another prison? Or are inmates actually held there for however long they're sentenced for? Also, I've read about yards and whatnot but how do you know which one your loved one is in. On his letter to me it said something like H-2-A. What exactly does that mean? I've been reading all the threads since I found this site Friday, but I haven't really found my answer. Oy vey, this stuff is just SO confusing! Or maybe I'm just an airhead?:shrug:

sofiey
05-11-2005, 10:43 AM
not hear of that i know theres a-b-c-d-yard

dojhar
05-11-2005, 10:45 AM
I'm still learning this stuff myself. My father has been at Wasco for 3-4 weeks now. He's on the C yard I believe. Sounds like your guy is on the H yard. I don't know that the yards are different in anyway other than as a means of grouping prisoners into smaller populations. On the visitation voicemail, it describes B, C, D, & H as reception yards. there are some prisoners who end up serving their full sentence at Wasco, but I believe it's just enough minimum-security people to cover the support needs of the prison.

Everyone else is waiting to be assigned to another prison. they're assigned a counselor who gives them a score based on various factors (what the offense is, criminal record, health issues, etc.). That score is used to determine their security level and they are put in line to wait for an opening at that level. I understand this can take 2-3 months.

Check out the "CDC - What You Should Know" thread for more details.

aztkgirl
05-11-2005, 11:19 AM
Hi there, my man was in Wasco from January 04 till June 04. I dont know much but this is what I know. He was in reception waiting to get sent to the main line (prison). The length of time that they stay in reception is undetermined. Some stay for a few weeks and others months! As you may already know, Wasco reception has visiting 1 hour behind glass, no phone calls. Inmates in reception are just waiting to get transferred to whatever prison they will do their time. Wasco is also a prison and inmates at reception may get moved over to the main yards. You could call his counselor if you need more info or have your man do it so he could keep you posted. You can even talk to anyone directly at the prison, they are usually more than happy to help and give you info. Good luck!

dojhar
05-11-2005, 11:36 AM
Hi there, my man was in Wasco from January 04 till June 04. I dont know much but this is what I know. He was in reception waiting to get sent to the main line (prison). The length of time that they stay in reception is undetermined. Some stay for a few weeks and others months! As you may already know, Wasco reception has visiting 1 hour behind glass, no phone calls. Inmates in reception are just waiting to get transferred to whatever prison they will do their time. Wasco is also a prison and inmates at reception may get moved over to the main yards. You could call his counselor if you need more info or have your man do it so he could keep you posted. You can even talk to anyone directly at the prison, they are usually more than happy to help and give you info. Good luck!
I haven't had a lot of luck in getting help from anyone at the prison, at least by phone. The operator is invariably rude and refuses to answer any questions and, when I ask for a particular department, she always, always sends me to a recording that I've heard already. Any tips (direct lines, extension numbers, etc.)?

aztkgirl
05-11-2005, 11:52 AM
I haven't had a lot of luck in getting help from anyone at the prison, at least by phone. The operator is invariably rude and refuses to answer any questions and, when I ask for a particular department, she always, always sends me to a recording that I've heard already. Any tips (direct lines, extension numbers, etc.)?
Im sorry that you're getting treated that way and that no one is willing to help. That's aweful!! For your question on what he writes on the envelope (H-2-A) well that is his housing and cell #, make sure that you address your letters to him in the exact same way so there is no delay on him getting his letters, even though it takes like 10 days sometimes! Reception is SOOO frustrating! What I would do back then was call and ask for "inmate records" and ask for them to give me his housing # (i would act all friendly and super sweet) you know kiss butt! and then I would slip in my questions. But like I said reception is the worst for you and for him. Do you know if he has talked with his counselor? They will usually let him know (an estimated) time of his stay there, and they will give him at least 2 or 3 names of prisons he may be sent to. By the way, when the inmate asks to be sent to a certain location to be near his family, the counselor will say "OK we will definitely take that into consideration", but guess what... the place they request.. is usually the last place they arnt sent. From there my man was sent to Avenal, he stayed until Sep, and then was sent to California Men's Colony in San Luis Obispo. He got lucky to be sent there. That is considered the "Cadillac" of prisons. Its beautiful up there too. I hope that you get the info you need. Just keep trying and dont give up!! Once he's out of there, things will go faster for you.

GatorBite
05-13-2005, 10:37 PM
Wasco Return addresses should have something that looks like this:
FHD2 FAB1
FDB2 FCD4 ect..
F - Facility
H - Shows which yard inmate is on. (A,B,C,D and E) B,C and D are Reception yards
D or B - Dorm or Building
2 - which building or dorm on the yard he is in.

This should be followed by his bed number.. FDB1-123U
(Facility D Building 1 bed 123U) U/L for upper or lower bunk.

godd3ss
05-17-2005, 12:04 PM
FDB1-123U
(Facility D Building 1 bed 123U) U/L for upper or lower bunk
my brother in law's address is like this only a diff bunk num.. does this mean he is in a reception yard or is the dorm or building something different? sorry new at this dont quite understand it all, trying to find all the info out for his family, and also can we only send them stationary packages? (20 prepaid envelopes, paper and pens?)

grammyC
05-17-2005, 01:04 PM
The system is going through changes. Wasco is being designated for "reception only" now. All mainline prisoners will be moved elsewhere within a matter of months. This could delay any permanent assignment until the CDC figures out where to put the 1000+ permanent inmates at Wasco. Maybe we will be looking at four-tier bunks in other over-crowded prison day-rooms now. Business as usual........wait, wait, and then wait some more for answers. Tam