View Full Version : Getting medical help for inmates

TONYGIRL
03-30-2003, 04:34 PM
If anyone you know in prison here in the United States needs help getting medical care, please contact me or ask me questions here in this forum. I am a Chapter Leader for a group that writes letters on behalf of patients to get them medical care. The group is called the Jeff Dicks Medical Coalition you can look at our site at jeffdicks.org and see what we are all about. And also you are interested in writing letter also we could sure use your assistance. We have had great results. I will wait to hear from you. You can email me at **Email link removed. See PTO rules and policies. Please communicate via PM. Link also broken.**

Budwoman
04-02-2003, 08:57 AM
Cherokee

I have a problem with just that very situation... Butch has 3 deteriorated disks and 2 buldging disks in his back... They have put him on a Health Risk A which in NC is the highest risk... Due to this, he has not been able to hold down any type of job in the prison system.... They have moved him to several different prisons over the past 8 months so that he maybe could get a job, but at this point no prison will allow him to work because they are afraid of a law suit... They have told him that he cannot have back surgery due to the high cost of that surgery... Supposedly it costs $40,000.00 to do the surgery and they say the NC budget will not allow that kind of expense.... Butch has until 2013 at this poing to finish his time unless he gets Parole. He is up for Honor Grade in June again and Up for Parole in November.... Is there any way that this Health proplem can be dealt with? I am really worried about him because they are telling me that if he so much as moves in the wrong direction, he can be paralized. They refuse to let me have his Medical Records and He too has asked for them and they will not let him see them either.... What can I do to help him with this?

Donna

Ivory
04-02-2003, 11:20 AM
I wish I would have know about this a few months ago. My friend just died of cancer in a Michigan prison. He had irregular x-rays 2 years ago that were totally ignored by the DOC. He was never even told the results of these xrays until he was diagnosed with cancer in February! (After seeking medical attention since October '02).

lulu
04-02-2003, 11:44 AM
wow, thanks. I may be needing your service.

danielle
04-02-2003, 05:56 PM
Donna,

I FINALLY got Wayne's medical records and it took a lot of phone calls, some story-telling, and outright lies on my part (I just played the same game the DOC plays). It took over 3 months of persistance and the assistance of a doctor, here in my hometown.

Just keep trying to get those records. I had to get a certain form signed by Wayne and it had to go to central records and then it had to be approved by the DOC's attorney before the records were released. They would ONLY release the records to a physician, but since I have power of attorney, once they were released to the physician, he then released them to me.

ladyconvict
04-05-2003, 11:04 AM
If anyone here needs help with federal prison medical issues, I'm on a first name basis with the Healthcare Services Staff in Washington, DC. We've been able to successfully get treatment for many federal inmates. Let me know if I can help any of you whose loved one is a federal inmate. Karen

SissyMay
04-26-2003, 10:29 PM
TonyGirl,

My brother is on the Daniel unit here in Texas. I had asked help from you in the past and I haven't gotten a responce back. He use to be on the Gibb Lewis unit, until he made such a stirr because the tumor/ what ever it is growing on his leg is even bigger now, than before. If you are seriouse about helping me, please contact me back. You can even privately PM me. You help would be greatly appreciated.

drwilson007
04-27-2003, 12:16 AM
Budwoman,
In North Carolina if an inmate is declared medically unfit they NC Legislature enacted an amendment which allows the DOC to award earned time credits to inmates serving sentences under this act. Look on Butch's inmate profile and see if they have him as medically unfit, or do they have the Health Risk A on his profile? Read through the law and see if it may do you any good. If he isn't already classified as medically unfit, tell him to talk to the doctor that is seeing him and see if his classification could be changed. If he can't work, they don't want him. Go to www.ncpls.org/code/articles/medregs.htm This is from the NC Prisoner Legal Services, Inc. We are trying to use it for my friend that is in Central, that was diagnosed with a Cancerous Tumor on his Pancreas. They done surgery in March and STILL haven't done any Radiation treatments for him. They seem to have excuses after excuses. Good luck and hope everything goes good for you and Butch. Take care.

Budwoman
04-27-2003, 08:43 PM
Thank you so very much Dr. Wilson... I surely appreciate this info.. He is not able to get the extra mattress that he has had for 13 years, so his back is getting worse than ever. I have not been able to visit since March 26, because they moved his down to Goldsboro, in Wayne County.. He has previously been in Shelby.

Thank you, I am reading this web site now

Sincerely
Donna Day

sgp
04-28-2003, 03:08 PM
My fiancee' is incarcerated in Leavenworth USP for probation violation. He has complained of severe pains in his side and blood in his feces. He hasn't gotten any medical attention and asked me to speak with his counselor. After speaking with his case manager twice about this situation and leaving numerous calls for his counselor, he still hasn't been seen by medical. His case manager assured me that he was going to get him seen by medical and within that week. Well it's been probably over a month and he still has not been seen by medical, his case manager, nor his counselor. I am in the process of composing a letter to the case manager, the counselor, the warden and BOP. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I should compose this letter?

Judge Not
08-06-2003, 02:58 AM
tried to use the e-mail for tonygirl and it sent it back to me.

jjshorty
08-09-2003, 12:14 AM
i need help also my man has bad alergies and sinuses can any body help, he also has migrane headaches they have not seen him or given him any medication what do i do help!!!

TONYGIRL
08-09-2003, 04:24 PM
I am sorry if i have not been checking this but now everything is straight if you need me private email me and I will give you my other email address to get papers to your mate for medical attention or any other questions you may have. I have got a few letters written and had some sucess. just let me know.

drwilson007
08-14-2003, 12:10 AM
jjshorty, If I was you I would keep calling the prison he is in, talk to the Superintendant of the prison, the nurse. Don't stop until you get what you want. I also suffer from migraines. I have to see a neuroligist and have to take medication daily to keep mine under control, so I really do feel for him. Contact the Offender Services or possobly the Director of Prisons. I sure wouldn't stop until they saw him and started him on some medication for his migraines and his sinuses and allergies. Good luck.

Judge Not
08-14-2003, 12:41 AM
My friend has been sick since July 3rd to no avail... Had prior brain surgery due to a few clots on the brain as a child and now suffers the same symptoms....

I have called everyone and anyone.... Every day, non stop... I have his mother calling, I send 3 or 4 emails to EVERY PERSON WHO HAS ANYTHING TO DO WITH THE PRISON HE IS IN. The warden now knows my name and can even spell it without help!!! (hard complicated last name!)....

Every day my friend gets weaker, has lost 20 pds in a month, yet he gets denied proper treatment every day....

Today, they humored me and let him see a P/A and referred to him as a doctor!! I reminded the warden that I am not satisfied and I will call every day over and over to everyone until I see proper attention paid to this man...

I have now retained an attorney, which the prison is aware of, and I believe that by Friday, that he will have the CAT SCAN that he needs...

It's too bad that one has to go to these means to get the help that the one's we love need.

DON'T GIVE UP AND KEEP CALLING, CALL AND BUG EVERYONE EVERY SINGLE DAY THAT YOU HAVE BREATH.... LET THEM KNOW THAT YOU'RE NOT GOING AWAY AND THAT YOU WILL HOUND THEM UNTIL THEY DO THEIR JOB.... Have everyone you know put calls in... Even if they say that they can't give you information, keep calling.... They will eventually do something if not only to get you to leave them alone....:D

drwilson007
08-14-2003, 12:50 AM
Good for you Debi P, I am so glad to hear you got something going. Hopefully they will finally give him some treatment. My friend had to go through Chemo. and Radiation, still weak and they said the state don't approve Procrit. Because they say the inmates can rest all day. I'm really surprised they even gave him treatments. Trust me they didn't want to, because they said he has a life sentence haning over his head, but comes up for parole. During his surgery, he contracted Hep. C, they won't treat him for that. They try to say it was due to a tattoo. That a lie, they had done several test within the weeks of the test. All negative, after his surgery, it came back positive. The system don't want to take the blame. I wish you and your friend all the luck. :p

Judge Not
08-14-2003, 01:48 AM
That's totally inhumane!!! Every inmate has the RIGHT to the same medical treatment that one on the outside would recieve... You can look up the medical rights of an inmate. I made a copy and sent it to each person in his prison and in his region... Everyone who should know the rules got a refresher course from me...

I make notes of everything I say and who I talk to. I attained records from other doctors of proper protocal for my friends illness and then also sent a copy of the protocol which is in the Merck Manual for Physicians... I let them know what kind of treatment is expected of them.... They usually make you jump through several hoops but once they know that you keep proper notes and are recording everything they say, (I keep my notes in front of me at all times), and can quote what they said to you two weeks ago, they will realize that you are not going to quit...

It's too bad that we are forced to do this, but imagine how it is for the one's who don't have anyone out here to go to battle for them... It's sooo sad....

I found my attorney on the Google Search engine... I looked up Florida prison advocate attorney.... I read articles about attorneys and found the one that sounded most promising... I may have just gotten lucky, but this guy KNOWS the system better than the wardens do...

These people do have rights under our constitution and we can demand them...

It sounds to me as though your guy has a good lawsuit on the Hep C issue... I would certainly follow through with pushing that legally.... and the medicine, I would fight for it every day...
He shouldn't have to suffer endlessly just because he's serving a sentence...

Even at the Vet clinic, they don't treat their animals like that!!!

I send my prayers to you and yours and if you want to send all of the stats, I can do some heavy duty e-mailing for you... I'm getting pretty seasoned at this... I believe my e-mail is listed on my profile, I'll check as soon as I send this...

Keep your chin up and don't let em win!!

Judge Not
08-14-2003, 02:02 AM
I guess you can't use the e-mail function, don't know why, I don't have it disabled, but you can pm and I'll check it in the morning when I get down to the daily e-mail routine that I've come up with... It's now a part of my schedule before leaving for work...

JamieS
11-05-2004, 06:10 AM
My husband is being held in a Louisiana state facility as a pre-trial detainee for the Federal. He has his own personal hospitalization policy, so it wouldn't cost them a dime for him to go to his own personal physician but we are told he cannot. He has certain medicines prescribed to him by his own physician. What can I do to help him with this? If he doesn't get his medicine that he needs, he won't even be able to go to court. Please hurry with an answer. Thanks,
Jamie

RB-LIL-SIS
11-07-2004, 12:53 PM

Ronnie
11-07-2004, 06:29 PM
Jamie I would suggest that you enlist the support of an attorney. It may be the case since he is not technically a ward of the government they are not willing to take any responsibility for his health. Good luck.

Jbr950
11-11-2004, 06:45 PM
Hi Ladyconvict,

Please help...My husband was hurt at his job in a federal prison. He cut his finger very badly and needed stiches. It has been 2 weeks and it is very sore, swollen, turning dark and cold. they will not send him back to the hospital to have it looked at. Even the nurse at the prison said that it didn't look good, that he can lose his finger. Any suggestions? Anything you can do would be greatly appreciated.

Jbr950

If anyone here needs help with federal prison medical issues, I'm on a first name basis with the Healthcare Services Staff in Washington, DC. We've been able to successfully get treatment for many federal inmates. Let me know if I can help any of you whose loved one is a federal inmate. Karen

Ronnie
11-11-2004, 10:52 PM
Here is a link to a post with some contact information for health directors within the federal bureau of prisons. I hope it is useful to you.
http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=784530&postcount=32

Hi Ladyconvict,

Please help...My husband was hurt at his job in a federal prison. He cut his finger very badly and needed stiches. It has been 2 weeks and it is very sore, swollen, turning dark and cold. they will not send him back to the hospital to have it looked at. Even the nurse at the prison said that it didn't look good, that he can lose his finger. Any suggestions? Anything you can do would be greatly appreciated.

Jbr950

jimbo's EX LADY
11-30-2004, 10:50 PM
my fiance' is at Dominguez State Jail in San Antonio, and he has a dislocated shoulder. I have at least 15 letters of him telling me he went to the doctor, and even a tv doctor, yes you heard me correctly a tv doctor and nothing has been done. They offered him pills for the pain (ex-drug user) and he declined. He dislocated it the day before he was locked up and that was July 7, of this year and still nothing has happened. They told him that he would have to have surgery, but never said when....What do I need to do to get him some help?

Pauline

Hitch's Girl
03-03-2005, 12:46 PM
My fiancee is in prison in Arkansas and is a diabetic that is not getting the proper insulin. Is there any way you can help me? PLEASE PM me if you are able to help... PLEASE

Ronnie
03-04-2005, 06:16 PM
Here is the Arkansas contact info:

Arkansas Department of Correction
P.O. Box 8707
Pine Bluff, AR71611-8707

Health & Correctional Prog. - Deputy Dir. 870-267-6361

Chaplain Services 870-267-5236

Education 870-879-5594

Medical Services 870-267-6331

Mental Health 870-267-6325

Sex Offender Assessment 870-267-6660

Volunteer Services 870-267-6314

My fiancee is in prison in Arkansas and is a diabetic that is not getting the proper insulin. Is there any way you can help me? PLEASE PM me if you are able to help... PLEASE

LukLuv
09-05-2005, 06:00 PM
My husband is seving time at a California Correctional Facility. On July 27th, he was burned on the job. The doctor put him on medical leave, however, they told him he had second and possibly third degree burns on his leg. Part of his leg is healing but in two places, it looks like a fresh burn and is not healing. My husband has Sickle Cell and the burn is causing him to be unable to walk. He's been using crutches since the accident, but he is not healing properly. I don't know what to do. Any guidance would be much appreciated.

joshsmom221
09-07-2005, 07:46 AM
I hope I am sending this problem to the proper forum. Please forgive me if I'm not.

My cousin is an inmate at a maximum security prison in SC. He is HIV positive. He developed a hernia afew months ago. He does get to see a so-called doctor who keeps telling him he will have surgery but it keeps being postponed. The hernia has dropped serverely and walking is painful. He holds his lower stomach and is bent over. He has something called a Bed Pass which means his meals are delivered to him but he has to walk a long distance every morning to get his meds. A civillian doctor has recommended surgery and something called a trust (?) which is like a girdle to hold his stomach but he has not gotten this device. Every week he goes to the doctor and every week it is the same old story - come back next week. The doctor told him to eat as little starch as possible which is a joke in prison since that's all they feed them. The so-called doctor told my cousin to buy his food from the canteen if he doesn't want to eat starch. He can't afford the canteen. I am sending him what I can but I don't have the finances to provide all of his nourishment. I am worried that the pain from the hernia is going to upset him so bad that it throws the HIV into trouble. Right now his levels are good as far as the HIV is concerned but his blood pressure is high. He need medical attention right away.

The reason I'm not sure if this was the correct forum is that it also is a legal problem. After 2 years of telling DOC that the sentence they have him serving under is wrong and that the amount of time they claim he needs to serve is wrong - which they promptly dismissed him - the courts have granted him a hearing on Sept. 14th for a "clarification of sentencing". Since the prison was notified of this last week my cousin has been having trouble every day. For 2 years he's been in this prison with no trouble. But, since he was granted this court time his room has been ramshackled at least 1 time a day. He's been chewed out by the warden and just about everyone from there on down. So, I don't know if these 2 things are related. All I do know is that my cousin desperately needs medical treatment and I don't know how to help him go about seeing he gets it. Any suggestions and help sure would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Sherrie

funnyface09
09-08-2005, 08:27 PM
My husband is seving time at a California Correctional Facility. On July 27th, he was burned on the job. The doctor put him on medical leave, however, they told him he had second and possibly third degree burns on his leg. Part of his leg is healing but in two places, it looks like a fresh burn and is not healing. My husband has Sickle Cell and the burn is causing him to be unable to walk. He's been using crutches since the accident, but he is not healing properly. I don't know what to do. Any guidance would be much appreciated.

First, try to call the Medical Administrator. If this gets you nowhere, call the prison Administrator. If this gets nowhere, call the wardens office. Then if you still get no help, pm me back and tell me which prison your husband is in and I will find out which region he is in. THEN you call the REGIONAL OFFICE OF THE PRISON AND TALK TO SOMEONE THERE.

pm me and let me know if you get results or not. this is what I did and now I get results whenever I call for my husbands medical issues.

Sherrie

Ronnie
09-10-2005, 06:29 AM
Sorry for the delay in responding to you. I would first suggest that you contact the medical director at the facility and/or the deputy superintendent (warden). You will probably need to have a HIPAA release form signed by your cousin and youself which gives them legal permission to discuss his health care with you.

If you can not get any satisfaction at the facility level, then I would suggest that you contact someone on the state level. Here is the most current info that we have on the SC health care contacts.
-----------------

South Carolina Headquarters
P. O. Box 21787/4444 Broad River Road
Columbia, SC 29210
803-896-8500
corrections.info@doc.state.sc.us (corrections.info@doc.state.sc.us)

Division of Medical & Health Services
Acting Director, John Davis - 803-896-2707
Director of Nursing (Vacant)
Director of Mental Health (Vacant)
Director of Dental Services, Medrina Gilliam - 803-896-1489
Director of Medical Support, Robert Wood - 803-896-8578
-------------------

Good luck. Keep us posted.
Ronnie

I hope I am sending this problem to the proper forum. Please forgive me if I'm not.

My cousin is an inmate at a maximum security prison in SC. He is HIV positive. He developed a hernia afew months ago. He does get to see a so-called doctor who keeps telling him he will have surgery but it keeps being postponed. The hernia has dropped serverely and walking is painful. He holds his lower stomach and is bent over. He has something called a Bed Pass which means his meals are delivered to him but he has to walk a long distance every morning to get his meds. A civillian doctor has recommended surgery and something called a trust (?) which is like a girdle to hold his stomach but he has not gotten this device. Every week he goes to the doctor and every week it is the same old story - come back next week. The doctor told him to eat as little starch as possible which is a joke in prison since that's all they feed them. The so-called doctor told my cousin to buy his food from the canteen if he doesn't want to eat starch. He can't afford the canteen. I am sending him what I can but I don't have the finances to provide all of his nourishment. I am worried that the pain from the hernia is going to upset him so bad that it throws the HIV into trouble. Right now his levels are good as far as the HIV is concerned but his blood pressure is high. He need medical attention right away.

The reason I'm not sure if this was the correct forum is that it also is a legal problem. After 2 years of telling DOC that the sentence they have him serving under is wrong and that the amount of time they claim he needs to serve is wrong - which they promptly dismissed him - the courts have granted him a hearing on Sept. 14th for a "clarification of sentencing". Since the prison was notified of this last week my cousin has been having trouble every day. For 2 years he's been in this prison with no trouble. But, since he was granted this court time his room has been ramshackled at least 1 time a day. He's been chewed out by the warden and just about everyone from there on down. So, I don't know if these 2 things are related. All I do know is that my cousin desperately needs medical treatment and I don't know how to help him go about seeing he gets it. Any suggestions and help sure would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Sherrie

inmatemama
04-10-2007, 07:57 PM
My Husband had a few teeth pulled through the SC prison system, 2 years ago. {to prepare for dentures} Since then, they have only seen him twice. The last time, he was "supposed" to have been re-scheduled for a visit within 2 weeks, to receive a set of dentures. This was 3 months ago...
Until they decide to acknowledge his urgent "need", he has to go without teeth, which is very unhealthy. He has trouble eating, talking etc...
Why do they put them off like this, and what can I do to help?
Thank you soooo much for your intervention!

zunigan
04-10-2007, 11:40 PM
Medical is just a mess, it took 2 years to finally get my husband into the hospital for an MRI, it showed several tumors in his spine - they believe from his previous brain tumor in 1999. He has since had surgery for one in his left temporal lobe. He is under going chemo and radiation. This was done by calling, e mailing and writing letters to anyone and everyone who I thought might listen. Finally the lettes to the recievers office here in CA sent a group of doctors to talk with him. He was then transfered out to the hospital where he is today. Going on 41 days in the hospital and will be there another month. Don't give up no matter what, they will soon get tired of you and so something.

mybabyboy
04-24-2007, 10:58 AM
Hey There,
My 17 yr old son is serving a 24 to 36 month sentence in Thumb Corr in Michigan. Before being sentened and throughout the court process he was being send by several doctors and even hospitalized for 4 days for abcesses. On the day of his sentencing he was schedule to have a biosphy on a develping tumor in his thigh. I trusted my attorney to get the judge to give us another postponement, needless to say it did not happen.

He was sentenced and sent away. I contact everyone I could, forward medical records and contact number to let them now about his tumor. I was told that it would be handled.

Well four months later he had a biopsy and three week after the result show a cancerous tumor. He is 17 years old and needless to say devastated and so am I.
I have been told that I will not be allow to know anything as far as when he is going to be treated, but get this they need my consent because he is a minor. He wont' be 18 until December. How can I give consent and not know what is going on? So far they have not sent him anywhere. I have been trying to get some help. What can I do? I don't want to leave my son's life in the hands of people who really don't give a damn.

He has a little daughter at home and he is my only child. I have read so many horror stories about people dying in prison from lack of treatment. I need help?

txred9876
04-24-2007, 12:12 PM
I am not sure how it is in your state but in texas they have the texas commission for jail standards. All I did was send an inquiry via email about medication policy and they did an investigation of his record and the medication he was getting.
Maybe you can find a similar agency in your state. I wish you luck with this. Be persistant and do not give up. Cancer is rough no matter who you are but even more so (i would think) being locked up. I am still fighting my own cancer battle. You and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Tina

adam's fiance
04-28-2007, 09:23 PM
I actually do need some help also because my fiance is needing surgery on his ear because he is going deaf in his right ear. Due to him having a busted eardrum. I have contacted the governor and the prison commissioner and no one seems to care not even the nurses at the prison where he is at gives a crap. so any help that you can pass me i would appreciate it. im from alabama by the way and he is in easterling in clio, alabama

zunigan
04-28-2007, 10:51 PM
Is there anyone at the prison who deals with medical? Like here its the chief medical officer. And we have an ombusmans office. This is what I would do--write-call and email and keep it up--do it everyday-I know thats alot but after awhile they get tired of you and might do something. Thats what I did, and it worked--but its a lot on you to keep it up. Write your congressman-senaters and also any newspapers that might pick up a story on how bad they treat inmates who need medical care. Here in CA it must be bad enough to cause them grave illness like cancer and things like that, If its something they deem can wait they will not do it. It has to be kind of like life threating.

dreamless4ever
08-04-2012, 10:35 PM
Medical staff is lying to him-- after contact the governors office he was finally able to have a visit from physician, but doc from ADC tells him his cancer is stage one. He had gall bladder removed over two years ago and we believe cancer was noticed then-- but patient was never informed or treated.

The Arkansas prison sentence has sentenced this 33 year old father of two to death-- and is lying to him, and he will die alone if humane intervention is not made into this murder of a human being.

His cancer is in his colon, pancreas, possibly liver. In all research this is stage four-- not considered curable. Without a accurate diagnosis he cannot be considered for compassionate release and will die alone in prison.

He is in East Arkansas Regional Unit, serving 40 to life for drug and theft charges, no violent crimes-- we need help. He is very ill and has given up.

He is in so much pain and prison won't give him more than an ibuprofen.

I don't know what to do or how to get people to listen and afraid my son will die before anyone cares.

His info:

Prince Fondren
ADC#600759
East Arkansas Regional Unit

zunigan
08-05-2012, 12:27 AM
You need to pick up phone and call ombusman...prison..red cross..and any one who will listen...send letters and many..my husband had to fight one year to get mri...I never stopped calling or writing...he finally got help...but it was a battle..they were sick of me...never give up on your child.....

only1love
08-05-2012, 08:12 AM
It is impossible to stage/grade cancer without a biopsy. He needs to put in written requests to see the doctor. They are required to provide a written response- and if denied- they must state why.

You can call and ask to be connected to medical. They won't be able to tell you anything, but you can notify them that he needs to be examined and has been denied.
Next, call the chaplain. They are very good in these situations.

You can also contact the ACLU, his attorney, and the newspaper.