View Full Version : Escaped Inmate Just Killed!!!!!!!!!!

05-05-2005, 05:48 PM
:eek: an escaoed inmate was just killed about 2 hours ago his name was Ronald Stallworth any one knows him?

05-05-2005, 06:30 PM
I didn't know him...but I went and looked up the story. :(

Inmate Killed; State Trooper Wounded In High-Speed Chase

Troopers Used Spike Strips To Stop Car

MONTGOMERY, Ala. -- A inmate was shot and killed in Montgomery, Ala., after leading Alabama State Troopers on a high-speed chase early Thursday afternoon.

The incident began around 2:30 p.m. when the prisoner was being transferred by a St. Clair County Deputy from Holman Prison near Atmore to St. Clair County. The inmate overpowered the deputy in Highway 145 in Clanton and stole his car.

According to witnesses, the inmate then injured the deputy either by cutting him or by running over him with the car. Witnesses recovered the deputy from the side of the road and then drove him to a nearby Chevron where they called 911. The deputy was conscious and talking at the time, according to witnesses.

The inmate then drove the car south towards Montgomery on Interstate 65. Law enforcement pursued the car and set up spike strips in Montgomery.

The car hit the strips and crashed near the Herrin Street exit. The prisoner then got out of the wrecked car and exchanged gunfire with police, authorities said. The inmate was shot and killed and one state trooper was injured.

A Department of Corrections representative said the prisoner involved was state inmate Ronald Stallworth, 45, who was serving time for assault, murder and kidnapping. He was being transferred to St. Clair County to face further charges of capital murder.

Department of Public Safety representative Martha Earnhardt said the Alabama Bureau of Investigation and the Montgomery police are investigating the incident.

The injured state trooper, James Patterson, is recovering in a Montgomery hospital. His injuries are not life-threatening, according to state trooper Sgt. Tim Sartain.

The outside southbound lanes of I-65 are now open at the Herrin Street exit and authorities expect to have the accident cleared by 6 p.m.

05-05-2005, 06:34 PM
How awful! My thoughts and prayers to out to the injured officer and all families involved.

05-05-2005, 06:36 PM
This is awful. My thoughts and prayers are definitely with this guys well as the injured officer's family. Thanks for posting the article, Kay!!!


05-06-2005, 01:32 PM
Escaped inmate dead

By Antoinette Konz (
Montgomery Advertiser patrol the scene on the northbound side of Interstate 65 where inmate Ronald Stallworth was shot and killed by police Thursday. Stallworth took a St. Clair County sheriff's car and led authorities on a chase through the area.

-- Julie Bennett Advertiser

Law enforcement officers shot and killed a state prison inmate Thursday afternoon on Interstate 65 in Montgomery after the man overpowered a deputy sheriff, took his patrol car and led authorities on a high-speed chase through four central Alabama counties.

The incident began at about 2:30 p.m. in Clanton at mile marker 212 on I-65. An unidentified St. Clair County deputy was escorting Ronald Stallworth, 45, back to St. Clair County after a capital murder court appearance in Chilton County, officials said.

"The prisoner overpowered the deputy and fled southbound on I-65 in the St. Clair County patrol car," said Capt. Hugh McCall, a spokesman with the Alabama Department of Public Safety. "Stop spikes were deployed and the subject wrecked on I-65 at Herron Street. At that point, the subject fired shots at law enforcement officers, officers returned fire and the suspect was killed and we had one trooper injured."

Officers with the Prattville Police Department attempted to deploy spikes at the Cobbs Ford Road exit, but Stallworth dodged them, officials said. personnel tend to a state trooper who was shot in his right hand Thursday during pursuit of escaped inmate Ronald Stallworth on Interstate 65. -- Lloyd Gallman Advertiser

The trooper injured in the incident, Sgt. James Patterson, was treated and released from Jackson Hospital for a gunshot wound to his hand. The St. Clair County deputy was treated for his injuries at Shelby Baptist Medical Center in Shelby County and later released.

Shortly after the gunfire erupted on the busy interstate, Stallworth lay slumped to his right in the driver's seat of the St. Clair County sheriff's squad car. He remained there until shortly after 4 p.m., when officials with the state Department of Forensic Sciences arrived to pick up his body.

Although the chase took place in the southbound lanes of I-65, the St. Clair County patrol car Stallworth drove ended up in the northbound lane of the interstate with its tires deflated. The front right window of the car had bullet holes.

Several central Alabama law enforcement agencies were involved in the chase.

"They all responded to the need of an officer," McCall said.

After the chase ended, more than 60 patrol cars and more than 100 law enforcement officers convened on the crime scene under the Herron Street overpass of I-65.

Investigators placed yellow police tape around the perimeter of the scene and began collecting evidence.

Witnesses who saw the chase and gunfire exchange between officers and Stallworth called the incident scary and unbelievable.

"I was pumping gas at the Chevron when I heard all the sirens coming from the interstate," said Brad Singleton of Wiggins, Miss. "I left my truck and walked toward the interstate and saw the sheriff's car cross over the median into the northbound lane. It looked like his tires were deflated."

Singleton said soon after the patrol car came to a rest, he saw the officers get out of their car and then heard gunfire.

"It was very scary," he said. "I looked and saw him (Stallworth) shoot at the officers. That's when I hit the ground. I had to duck underneath someone's car."

Linda Kerry of Mobile was traveling home on the interstate when the chase overtook her in Autauga County. 65 traffic is diverted around a section of roadway after a fatal shooting of escaped prisoner Ronald Stallworth, who was driving a St. Clair County sheriff's car, bottom left, Thursday in Montgomery.-- Lloyd Gallman Advertiser

"There were police cars everywhere. I didn't know what was going on," she said. "It looked liked something out of a movie. It was car after car passing me with their lights and sirens on."

Edward Kelly, a division traffic engineer for the Alabama Department of Transportation, said ALDOT crews were working along I-65 when he heard news of the chase on the radio.

"I went out to the work sites to tell them to get out of the way," said Kelly, who stood along the interstate phoning in details to the ALDOT office. "It looked like the chase was well over 120 mph. Then I heard they threw the spikes out. I've never seen anything like this."

Lt. Huey Thornton, spokesman for the Montgomery Police Department, said his department will take the lead in the investigation. He referred questions seeking details about the incident to the Department of Public Safety. Trooper Captain Hugh McCall talks with the media after a fatal shooting of an escaped prisoner in a St. Clair Deputy Sheriff car on Interstate 65 in downtown Montgomery on Thursday. -- Lloyd Gallman Advertiser

"In addition to the investigation, we had numerous officers respond to the incident and help with the traffic flow," Thornton said.

Traffic remained congested for several hours while onlookers hung out their windows with cell phones plastered to their faces, trying their best to get a glimpse of the incident. Airplanes and helicopters buzzed the sky. A large crowd of onlookers also gathered along the fencing that borders both sides of the interstate. "This is unreal," said Cadie Floyd of Montgomery. "I heard what happened and I had to come by and see it for myself. I am so glad that none of the officers were seriously injured."

05-06-2005, 01:33 PM
Slain inmate convicted of murder, kidnapping

By Marty Roney (
Montgomery Advertiser

The escaped inmate who was shot and killed Thursday afternoon on Interstate 65 in Montgomery was serving two life sentences for murder, and was facing capital murder charges when he overpowered a St. Clair County deputy, stole his weapon and took his patrol car.

Ronald Stallworth, 45, was serving incarcerated at Hollman Correctional Facility in Atmore, said Brian Corbett, spokesman for the Alabama Department of Corrections.

Stallworth was on his way Thursday to face capital murder charges in St. Clair County, stemming from the death of an inmate last year in the St. Clair County Correctional Facility, where Stallworth was being held at the time.

A dispatcher with the St. Clair County Sheriff's Department said the deputy, whose name was unavailable, was treated for his injuries at Shelby Baptist Medical Center in Shelby County and released.

In 1989, Stallworth was convicted of murder in Macon County and kidnapping in Lee County, DOC records state. Stallworth was serving 15 years on top of the life sentences. He also was convicted of assault in Macon County in 1986, Corbett said.

The chase began about 2:30 p.m. on I-65 near Clanton, said Capt. Hugh McCall, a spokesman for the Alabama State Troopers.

Officers from sheriff's offices in Chilton, Autauga, Elmore and Montgomery counties were involved in the chase. Police departments from Clanton, Millbrook, Jemison, Thorsby, Prattville and Montgomery also were involved.

Two Autauga County investigators, Capt. Joe Sedinger and Sgt. Casey Ott, received minor injuries when they were involved in a wreck on their way to the interstate. The men were riding in Sedinger's gray unmarked Ford Crown Victoria. The accident occurred at Wetumpka Street and Memorial Drive, said Chief Deputy Donny Nelson. "Joe told me he had his light and siren on as he was going through the intersection," Nelson said. "No one was injured in the wreck, including the driver of the other car. We sent them to the (emergency room) to check them out. Joe was complaining of a sore shoulder and Casey banged up his knee." Both men were treated and released from the Prattville Baptist Hospital emergency room.

05-06-2005, 01:38 PM
This still just amazes me. My thoughts and prayers are with Mr. Stallworth's well as those we who injured. This is, for sure, a horrible ordeal.

05-07-2005, 02:37 PM
My first thought was that Mr. Stallworth's family had just had an ADOC worst fears realized. I cannot imagine their pain. I've had them in my prayers since I saw it on the news.

05-07-2005, 09:02 PM
I am just Speechless..this is horrible in so many much pain on all side of this mess. Prayers going to Mr. Stalworths Family and to the Officers injured in the ordeal.

Alabama Granny

05-09-2005, 10:06 AM
Unclear yet how inmate overpowered St. Clair deputy

Saturday, May 07, 2005 MIKE CASON
News staff writer
It remained unclear Friday how a state inmate with two murder convictions took a St. Clair County deputy's car and gun and fled down Interstate 65 in a chase that ended when he was shot and killed by police.

Some law enforcement officials suggested more security might have prevented the escape.

A Department of Corrections spokesman said the prison system assigns two officers when transporting high-risk inmates. But only one St. Clair County deputy, Glenn Wilson, was assigned Thursday to take Ronald Stallworth from Holman prison in Atmore to St.Clair County for a pretrial hearing on a capital murder case.

On Thursday afternoon, shortly after Wilson exited Interstate 65 onto Alabama 145 in Chilton County, Stallworth stabbed him several times, apparently with a nail, and left him bleeding on the roadside.

Stallworth headed south on Interstate 65, leading officers on a chase through four counties. When he reached Montgomery, he ran over spikes placed by officers and crashed. An exchange of gunfire left Stallworth dead and one state trooper wounded.

Wilson and the injured trooper, Sgt. James Patterson, were treated and released.

St. Clair County Sheriff Terry Surles declined to give specifics about the incident Friday. Surles said the agents with the Alabama Bureau of Investigation asked him to refrain from comments. ABI is investigating.

" My personal opinion is I need to tell the press, because my citizens need to know," Surles said.

ABI spokeswoman Martha Earnhardt said she could not release any information about the investigation.

Surles said Stallworth somehow escaped handcuffs.

Chilton County Sheriff Billy Fulmer said Stallworth may have smuggled a makeshift handcuff key from prison.

But Department of Corrections spokesman Brian Corbett said Stallworth was strip-searched and his clothes searched before as he left the prison.

"He didn't leave Holman with a shank (weapon) or a handcuff key," Corbett said.

Corbett said Stallworth was placed in handcuffs attached to a waist chain when he was turned over to Wilson on Thursday morning. The restraints allow the cuffed hands to be raised only about 6 inches above the abdomen, Corbett said.

Corbett said Stallworth was rated security level 6, DOC's highest risk level. To transport a level 6 inmate, Corbett said DOC uses handcuffs, leg irons, a waist chain and two armed officers. But Corbett said DOC does not dictate county policies on transporting inmates.

Stallworth in 1989 pleaded guilty to the murders of Melody Harris Sadler and Beverly Parker in Macon County and was given two life sentences.

Stallworth's court records also show an escape from custody in Macon County in November 1985.

More recently, Stallworth pleaded not guilty to the 2003 murder of another inmate at St. Clair Correctional Facility. .

05-09-2005, 10:24 AM
For every action there is a reaction. It sounds like suicide by police to me.

05-10-2005, 06:59 AM
Those were my thoughts as I read all what he did.......Thank you for voicing that I was afraid I was reading something into this man's actions in the beginning, but with all the convictions and the time he has spent in prison and now facing new charges for murder it seems to make sense, just ashame others were hurt in this process.

05-10-2005, 08:13 AM
Workers `heroes' in halting attack

Tuesday, May 10, 2005 MIKE CASON
News staff writer
Road inspectors Grady Knox and John Wilson looked for potholes, cracks, damaged signs and other problems as they drove north on Alabama 145 Thursday.

They found a murderer making a violent escape.

Their quick thinking, officials said Monday, probably saved a life and helped bring a dangerous situation under control.

The two veteran state Department of Transportation employees interrupted inmate Ronald Stallworth while he was attacking a deputy on the road, then helped officers track the inmate.

"They did what heroes do," said Alabama Attorney General Troy King, who recognized the two men and several other DOT employees at a news conference in Birmingham.

St. Clair County Sheriff Terry Surles said Knox and John Wilson saved the life of Deputy Glenn Wilson, who is recovering from injuries at home. "I don't know what to say to these guys other than what Glenn would say, `Thank you for saving my life,'" Surles said.

King read a brief account of what happened. Knox, 40, and John Wilson, 47, who live in Clanton, would not talk much about their actions because the events are under review by the Alabama Bureau of Investigation.

Were they afraid?

"Only an idiot wouldn't have been scared," Knox said. "But we knew we wouldn't be able to sleep at night if he had killed someone."

Stallworth eventually was killed in a shootout in Montgomery. Sgt. James Patterson of the Alabama state troopers is recovering from a gunshot wound to the right hand received in that exchange.

ABI spokeswoman Dorris Teague said Monday that no information was available on the agency's probe of the escape and shooting. But Monday's news conference added detail to what's known publicly about the incident, which started on Alabama 145, a two-lane highway near Lay Lake in Chilton County.

The trouble erupted Thursday as Glenn Wilson drove Stallworth from Holman Prison in Atmore to St. Clair County. The inmate was headed to a hearing on whether he could be sentenced to the death penalty if he were convicted of the 2003 murder of another state inmate. Stallworth scored below 70 on an IQ test last year and might have been spared by the U.S. Supreme Court's ban on executing mentally retarded people. Stallworth was in prison after pleading guilty in 1989 to the murders of two women in Macon County.

Stallworth somehow overpowered Glenn Wilson shortly after they exited I-65. Knox and John Wilson, on their routine road inspection, came upon the two men fighting behind the patrol car, which was stopped in the northbound lane of the highway.

Knox stopped the truck and the two men got out and rushed to help the deputy, according to King's account. Stallworth, who at some point took the deputy's gun, ran to the patrol car and Knox followed, trying unsuccessfully to pull Stallworth from the car. By that time, other people had arrived and began to tend to the bleeding deputy. Stallworth headed back toward I-65 in the patrol car. Knox and John Wilson pursued Stallworth in their truck.

As they chased Stallworth, King said, they called 911 on a cell phone and alerted DOT offices using their truck radios. They followed Stallworth for more than 20 miles, passing on information that helped law enforcement prepare to intercept the car and helped DOT clear road crews that could have been at risk.

King also praised DOT radio operators Connie Gray and Keyon Williams and Sixth Division Traffic Engineer Edward Kelly for relaying key information during the chase.

"This is an example all Alabamians would do well to follow," King said.

Surles said Glenn Wilson received two long lacerations on his face and head, and his left arm was run over by the patrol car.

05-10-2005, 08:25 AM
Alabama Bureau Of Investigations Probes Inmate Escape, Shooting
Department Understaffed, St. Clair County Sheriff Says

POSTED: 3:56 p.m. CDT May 9, 2005
UPDATED: 6:59 p.m. CDT May 9, 200

MONTGOMERY, Ala. -- An investigation is under way into the shooting death of a St. Clair County inmate who overpowered a deputy and stole his car last Thursday.

On Monday, law enforcement officials praised Department of Transportation workers who helped the deputy and tracked the escaped fugitive. The Alabama Bureau of Investigations has launched a probe into the circumstances of the shooting to see whether proper procedures were followed. Deputy Glenn Wilson continues to recuperate after being overpowered by Ronald Stallworth last Thursday. Stallworth was a two-time convicted murdered and was serving two life sentences at Holman Prison in Atmore. Wilson was transporting Stallworth to court appearance in St. Clair County on an additional murder charge, when he overpowered the deputy by stabbing him with a nail, stole his car and led police on a high-speed chase down Interstate-65 to Montgomery.

The incident happened on state Road 145 in Chilton County where DOT workers noticed commotion.

The DOT workers are credited with alerting coworkers by radio, who gave a detailed description to police.

?They rushed toward the two figures that were struggling, and the one in the white prison uniform began to run. He got into the deputy's car and began to flee,? said Attorney General Troy King. ?There's a deputy sheriff who's alive today because of their work.?

Stallworth drove the squad car through four counties to Montgomery, where he was finally stopped by spike strips authorities had placed across the interstate. After wrecking the car, Stallworth exchanged gunfire with police and was shot dead at the scene.

When he was turned over to Wilson, Stallworth was wearing handcuffs and a belly restraint. He was rated at the highest risk level to transport. It?s unclear how he was restrained when he broke free.

Though Wilson was working alone, the State Department of Corrections typically uses two deputies to transport a prisoner at that level of risk. However, counties make their own rules on transports.

St. Clair County Sheriff Terry Surles said they're short-staffed.

"I've been doing this 26 years, and I've carried several inmates by myself with the correct precautions and the policy procedures. You can do it without a problem, but when you have an inmate that is known (to be a) problem, you normally try to have somebody with them, but a lot of times that's not possible,? said Surles. Surles said it?s unclear how Stallworth got free and that he looks forward to ABI?s investigation findings to see if the department can improve anything they've done in hopes this won't happen again.

05-10-2005, 08:33 AM
I saw a story on the news last night that said the deputy was 70 years old! They also questioned how the inmate was out of the car and had no leg restraints. I think there is more to the story and the deputy is the only one left to say what happened.

05-10-2005, 08:47 AM
YEA, i believe there's more too it, seems like everyone is RUNNING for office or something. Bottom line is "there no excuse" for it going as far as it did.

i hope the family of the inmate is doing there homework...

05-11-2005, 07:54 AM
My thought's and prayer's go out to the inmates family. I believe there is a lot more to this than being reported. I hope the family find's out the truth.

05-11-2005, 09:48 AM
There are new details coming out about Thursday's high speed chase and police shooting on Interstate 65. It turns out the deputy who was driving Ronald Stallworth from South Alabama is nearly 70 years old and he was working alone. And all that is acceptable, because the state has few rules when it comes to driving dangerous criminals.

There are so many questions unanswered. How did Ronald Stallworth escape from behind a shielded passenger compartment, how did he get a weapon to overpower Deputy Glen Wilson? So far, investigators haven't answered those questions.

But some controllable factors may have played a role in Stallworth's escape. WSFA has learned Wilson is 69 years old, and while his boss says he's a big man, he was also 25 years older than Stallworth. And, he worked alone because the rules said he could.

At one time, the Department of Corrections transported inmates around the state. But little by little, things changed, and because of budget constraints, County Sheriffs do that job for the most part now.

However, Corrections still moves prisoners around, and a department spokesman said if its drivers would had transported a high risk like Stallworth, he would have worn handcuffs, a waist chain, and officers would have cuffed his ankles as well.

Corrections confirms Stallworth was only wearing handcuffs on and a waist chain when officers handed him over to Deputy Wilson. At no time was he wearing leg shackles.

The department says that's because it was the deputy's choice how much restraint he would place on Stallworth. The counties are permitted to decide the amount of restraint and the number of deputies used to transport prisoners. That's permissible because Alabama has no uniform policy on transporting prisoners.

Which brings us to the first location in the incident, a road in Chilton County. The question there is, did the Deputy somehow let Stallworth out of the car for some reason?

St. Clair County Sheriff Terry Surles told WSFA Wilson would have never opened the door for Stallworth, not even to let him use the bathroom near the roadside.

As for Wilson's condition, Surles says he is fighting off an infection in the cuts he suffered in the fight and that he suffered through a tough weekend.

But Wilson also asked Surles if he could come back to work, and Surles says he sees no reason not to let him.