View Full Version : I need some help with my victim's impact statement..please :O)

BuTTaFLyy
05-05-2005, 02:43 PM
My husband is currently incarcerated for cdv high and aggravated (against me) he was placed on probation instead of going to prison for ten years, he was out on probation for about a month and two weeks, and choked me, so i had him arrested, because i understand this is not something to be taken lightly.so the judge revoked his probation,and he was sent to prison last week to serve his sentence on the time from the probation revocation(7 years- his max out date as long as he keeps his nose clean is 6/11/09.), he has to go to court in May on the 16th, to face the second offense, i was going to fill out my victims impact statement and ask the judge if his sentence can run concurrent just because of his age (hes only 20,not that his age excuses what hes done) but to allow him to be in a structured environment such as prison,as well as be enrolled in a program for Abusers, as well as attend anger mgt, I know anger management isnt the only issue that needs to be addressed,nor the alcohol(actually his temper isnt all that bad seriously speaking- and the alcohol they use as a coverup to do the abuse-he witnessed his father beat his mom unfortunately which was something i didnt know until AFTER we had already gotten married.), the fact that hes an ABUSER is, and once he can get help to address this issue as well as my Faith in God, because I do believe in the power of prayer, and I know what the Word of God tells me, He specializes in things that we think are impossible.But I just wanted to know if anyone has any suggestions to how i can word my letter that I will enclose with my victims impact statement.Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated, thanks so much, God Bless all that read and respond :p

BillieJo
05-06-2005, 06:42 AM
well if you put into words about your relationship as much as you can, without focusing on his screw up- I am sure that it should help.

focus on the other information that shows he isn't always controlling and abusive.

I don't know the extent of your injuries from the situation where the police became involved, it would be hard to prove him not so bad if you had to seek medical treatment.

my friend tried to save her marriage and when she did- she told them things about her husband where he was a good dad, provider, etc. she got him in and out of jails and prisons many times over in almost ten yrs, standing by his side thru thick and thin. sadly, he is back because he tried to kill her.

I am sorry you went thru this.
*hugs*

DeniseJJ
05-06-2005, 08:45 AM
honesty will be your best bet....judges normally can see straight thur the BS...

Smokelady
05-10-2005, 09:10 AM
This is why I always tell my friends that if they know that they are going to make up with thier husbands not to always get the law involved because they will surly go to jail and serve a little time if not alot. Because once they are in it is really hard to retract your statement, or speak on thier good charactoristic to get them out. That is because the state takes the case over and they take it very seriously. I am not saying that what you did was wrong but I tell all of my friends to think the situation through before the law is called. I wish you the best of LUCK.

BuTTaFLyy
05-10-2005, 01:44 PM
I dont want to retract my statement, my husband was clearly on the path to destruction and perhaps prison will be a way for him to slow down and think about his life as well as get some type of treatment when he is in there to not be that kind of person anymore.i had no choice but to call the police, he was on probation for cdv high and aggravated when he violated and assaulted me with the same offense.i am going to stick with him through this and I know that with this experience with prayer,faith and fasting, I know that God be there to see me through this.I wasnt going to write a statement to get him out or retract my statement. I actually just completed my statement today and all i basically wrote in there was that he was headed on the path to self destruction with the way he was headed and that I wanted them to place him in a facility that has a program that focuses on batterers so that he can get the proper treatment that he needs.thats all..i wasnt trying to get him out or save his hide, because i know thats not gonna help him in the long run.thanks for responding :P

denverswife
05-22-2005, 10:00 AM
Well MsFlyy, you sure sound like you've got your head on straight. I've gotten my husband picked up for dope more than once when he needed to stop and was past the point of stopping himself. I think I saved him from catching a larger case and possibly saved other families from grief he certainly could have caused. I hope the judge hears your sincerity and gets him some real help. Here is CA the judge can order stuff like that and have it ignored, so try to contact his counselor when he gets to mainline and see what the plan for him is. Good luck, and God keep you.

suzeg3
05-24-2005, 10:32 AM
I agree, you do sound like you have thought this through. I agree that Judges will see through any BS. You need to do a VERY difficult thing, acknowledge he was wrong and that he did wrong while asking for some clemecny/mercy. I think if you write it in the same voice and with the same honesty you are using here with us, you will do well. I hope for you, that he can get help and that he knows and understands what an awesome wife he has. (((((HUGS))))