View Full Version : Can a Felon travel to Canada?

bjidlh
05-04-2005, 03:31 PM
I live in Minnesota and have been to Canada a lot over the years. I know your not allowed into Canada if you have had a DUI in the past 10 years. I was convicted last December of a feloney and I'm currently waiting to be sentence. My question is...will I be able to travel to Canada after I do my time?

Bjidlh

kelly&Jasonnks
05-04-2005, 04:11 PM
If you have a felony for any crime Canada will not let you in.

remiella
05-04-2005, 05:03 PM
Hi

Canada does not welcome any felons. However if you think that you cannot exist unless you visit Canada, you can write to the Bureau of Justice and Immigration office to ask for permission. As far as I am concerned they can keep their maple leaves. If they don't want me once I do not want them tenfold. Peace

tessa
05-04-2005, 11:52 PM
I didn't realize having a felony record prevented people from visiting another country, especially in North America......my oh my.....what happened to "served the time and paid the dues".
Thats too bad.....it is shame that so many lose so many "privileges" after serving their time.

jft
05-05-2005, 07:35 AM
Actually you CAN go to Canada. You have to apply and be accepted and there is a Canadian Gov't Website that you can go to with everything you need to do. I just go done reading it a couple days ago. Will try to find it again and post it here

marriola482
05-05-2005, 07:39 AM
I'm having a hard time believing this! Sorry if I sound stupid but why is it that if you have been convicted of a DUI you cannot cross the border? I never knew this...I guess it's a good thing that I saw this on pto, especially since I planned on going to Canada this year!

mrsdragoness
05-05-2005, 07:46 AM
Something else that is happening is that by 2008, you will need a passport to reenter the US from Canada :(

Here's the link to a thread I posted in the Michigan Forum:

http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=117687&highlight=passport

jft
05-05-2005, 07:55 AM
http://www.dfait.gc.ca/can-am/menu-en.asp?act=v&mid=1&cat=4&did=397

INADMISSIBLE CLASSES:

Members of Inadmissible Classes include those who have been convicted of MINOR OFFENCES (including shoplifting, theft, assault, dangerous driving, unauthorized possession of a firearm, possession of illegal substances, etc.), or of INDICTABLE CRIMINAL OFFENCES (including assault with a deadly weapon, manslaughter, etc.). As well, those who have been convicted of DRIVING WHILE INTOXICATED (DWI) are considered Members of an Inadmissible Class. Driving while under the influence of alcohol is regarded as an extremely serious offence in Canada.

Those who have received TRAFFIC VIOLATIONS (including parking/speeding tickets, etc.) and other minor violations (i.e. littering, etc.) most likely will NOT be prohibited from entering Canada. Similarly, those who have JUVENILE CONVICTIONS (convictions for crimes committed while under age 18) most likely will NOT be prohibited from entering Canada unless they could have been tried as an adult for their offences.

TEMPORARY RESIDENT PERMIT, APPROVALS OF REHABILITATION, AND PERMISSION TO RETURN TO CANADA:

Those who have been convicted of an offence IN CANADA who wish to return to Canada must first apply for a PARDON from the CLEMENCY AND PARDONS DIVISION OF THE NATIONAL PAROLE BOARD. A Pardon permanently erases the Canadian criminal record, and any consequences of inadmissibility resulting from it. Those unable to obtain a pardon may still apply for a TEMPORARY RESIDENT PERMIT. For more information on pardons, contact:

NATIONAL PAROLE BOARD,
Clemency and Pardons Division,
340 Laurier Avenue West,
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, K1A 0R1.

Those who have been convicted of an offence OUTSIDE CANADA, and have had 5 years elapse since the termination of the custodial portion (if any) of the sentence imposed (not the sentence served), may apply for a Minister's APPROVAL OF REHABILITATION. The Minister's Approval will permanently remove the inadmissibility caused by conviction.

If less than 5 years have elapsed, or if persons are only seeking entry to Canada for a single or limited period, then they may apply for a TEMPORARY RESIDENT PERMIT.

Almost Free
05-05-2005, 11:31 PM
Ok... now I am feeling pretty stupid.... but... when you go to Canada to visit for a day..a weekend... you mean they actually ASK you these questions? I have lived in California for so many years...and when going to Mexico.. they ask you nothing going in...but when re-entering the USA they just ask to see your drivers license, and ask you if you are an American citizen..that's it.

So going in to Canada you have to fill out papers with these questions?

tomsfriend
05-05-2005, 11:38 PM
Any chance there are different rules for tourists vs residents - temporary or permanent?

And, apparently 5 years after release is a new clearance.

bellisq
05-06-2005, 12:18 AM
Jft: thanks for the reference, that is very helpful, Brenda

http://www.dfait.gc.ca/can-am/menu-en.asp?act=v&mid=1&cat=4&did=397
g/speeding

mrsdragoness
05-06-2005, 07:39 AM
When I cross over to Canada from Port Huron, Michigan they ask me how long I'll be there, where am I going and if I have any cigarettes, guns, etc. with me. Since 9-11 they do check more cars and sometimes ask a few more questions. I've never been asked if I was convicted of anything.

bjidlh
05-06-2005, 08:09 AM
Thank you jft. It sounds like it will be a few years before I canoe in Quetico provincial park again. I guess it was a good thing that I went on a 10 day canoe trip with friends last September...since it will be a long time before I get a chance to do it again. The main reason I enjoy going to Quetico is...there are fewer people. They restrict the number of people allowed in...but they also make you pay for it. I have spent days up there with out seeing another person...or maybe just one other canoe.

I will be just as happy canoeing the BWCA (Boundary Waters Canoe Area)...in northern Minnesota. I've packed my gear away...and hung my canoe in the garage as I prepare for prison. But once I'm out I plan on spending as much time as I can up there with my partner and friends.

bellisq
05-06-2005, 08:35 AM
Mrsdragon: Do they do any kind of computer check on either you or your car? There are integrated worldwide databases that countries use to question or block entrance. I don't think they have access to NCIC database, but US government has definitely provided computerized lists of names to other countries in an exchange program. Brenda

I've never been asked if I was convicted of anything.

sdylan06
05-06-2005, 09:03 AM
WOW, we wanted to go see the Falls when he got out and off parole, i'm wondering if we have to go thru all that , or maybe not, since we'll only be there for a few days?!

bjidlh
05-06-2005, 09:08 AM
When you enter Canada at least through Minnesota and eastern North Dakota...they run your car plates through the computer and they ask for your driver's license. Once...two years ago...they had us go into the building and they asked us a lot of questions before we were allowed to go in. Three years ago I applied for a remote border crossing permit and they found my DUI from 21 years ago. I was convicted in Wisconsin and didn't think it was in the computers...but I was wrong. Before that I had crossed into Canada for over 10 years with out a problem...but since Sep 11 that all changed. It seems to me that they have access to all of our records.

Mrsdragon: Do they do any kind of computer check on either you or your car? There are integrated worldwide databases that countries use to question or block entrance. I don't think they have access to NCIC database, but US government has definitely provided computerized lists of names to other countries in an exchange program. Brenda

Janelle
05-06-2005, 11:35 PM
Wow...so if I read jft's info correctly, a CANADIAN CITIZEN who, after being convicted, entered the U.S. (or any other country) as a tourist would then have to be granted a PARDON or temporary resident status before going back home?

Seems extreme!

qtquartz
10-25-2005, 11:28 PM
No, a Canadian citizen can always return to Canada. I'm trying to find out about a felon husband of a Canadian tho..anyone know??
qtquartz

KYRA2005
11-14-2005, 11:45 PM
I know I cant go to Canada unless I get permission from a judge.And it takes 30 days to approve.

drummer
11-16-2005, 12:37 AM
I spoke with my PO about this (while I was still on paper) and was told that the ban is for life. If Canada finds out there is a felony, you will not be allowed in and can be charged with illegal entry if caught. I never liked it enough to risk that anyway!

bellisq
11-16-2005, 09:32 AM
And yet Martha Stewart just got permission to go, so it must not be unilateral, of course she was doing a show.

drummer
11-16-2005, 09:37 AM
yeah ... and she didn't get violated for breaking terms of home confinement either ... who whoulda thunk it.

Amazing what money can do.