View Full Version : Can a Felon travel to Canada?

05-04-2005, 02:31 PM
I live in Minnesota and have been to Canada a lot over the years. I know your not allowed into Canada if you have had a DUI in the past 10 years. I was convicted last December of a feloney and I'm currently waiting to be sentence. My question is...will I be able to travel to Canada after I do my time?


05-04-2005, 03:11 PM
If you have a felony for any crime Canada will not let you in.

05-04-2005, 04:03 PM

Canada does not welcome any felons. However if you think that you cannot exist unless you visit Canada, you can write to the Bureau of Justice and Immigration office to ask for permission. As far as I am concerned they can keep their maple leaves. If they don't want me once I do not want them tenfold. Peace

05-04-2005, 10:52 PM
I didn't realize having a felony record prevented people from visiting another country, especially in North oh my.....what happened to "served the time and paid the dues".
Thats too is shame that so many lose so many "privileges" after serving their time.

05-05-2005, 06:35 AM
Actually you CAN go to Canada. You have to apply and be accepted and there is a Canadian Gov't Website that you can go to with everything you need to do. I just go done reading it a couple days ago. Will try to find it again and post it here

05-05-2005, 06:39 AM
I'm having a hard time believing this! Sorry if I sound stupid but why is it that if you have been convicted of a DUI you cannot cross the border? I never knew this...I guess it's a good thing that I saw this on pto, especially since I planned on going to Canada this year!

05-05-2005, 06:46 AM
Something else that is happening is that by 2008, you will need a passport to reenter the US from Canada :(

Here's the link to a thread I posted in the Michigan Forum:

05-05-2005, 06:55 AM


Members of Inadmissible Classes include those who have been convicted of MINOR OFFENCES (including shoplifting, theft, assault, dangerous driving, unauthorized possession of a firearm, possession of illegal substances, etc.), or of INDICTABLE CRIMINAL OFFENCES (including assault with a deadly weapon, manslaughter, etc.). As well, those who have been convicted of DRIVING WHILE INTOXICATED (DWI) are considered Members of an Inadmissible Class. Driving while under the influence of alcohol is regarded as an extremely serious offence in Canada.

Those who have received TRAFFIC VIOLATIONS (including parking/speeding tickets, etc.) and other minor violations (i.e. littering, etc.) most likely will NOT be prohibited from entering Canada. Similarly, those who have JUVENILE CONVICTIONS (convictions for crimes committed while under age 18) most likely will NOT be prohibited from entering Canada unless they could have been tried as an adult for their offences.


Those who have been convicted of an offence IN CANADA who wish to return to Canada must first apply for a PARDON from the CLEMENCY AND PARDONS DIVISION OF THE NATIONAL PAROLE BOARD. A Pardon permanently erases the Canadian criminal record, and any consequences of inadmissibility resulting from it. Those unable to obtain a pardon may still apply for a TEMPORARY RESIDENT PERMIT. For more information on pardons, contact:

Clemency and Pardons Division,
340 Laurier Avenue West,
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, K1A 0R1.

Those who have been convicted of an offence OUTSIDE CANADA, and have had 5 years elapse since the termination of the custodial portion (if any) of the sentence imposed (not the sentence served), may apply for a Minister's APPROVAL OF REHABILITATION. The Minister's Approval will permanently remove the inadmissibility caused by conviction.

If less than 5 years have elapsed, or if persons are only seeking entry to Canada for a single or limited period, then they may apply for a TEMPORARY RESIDENT PERMIT.

Almost Free
05-05-2005, 10:31 PM
Ok... now I am feeling pretty stupid.... but... when you go to Canada to visit for a day..a weekend... you mean they actually ASK you these questions? I have lived in California for so many years...and when going to Mexico.. they ask you nothing going in...but when re-entering the USA they just ask to see your drivers license, and ask you if you are an American citizen..that's it.

So going in to Canada you have to fill out papers with these questions?

05-05-2005, 10:38 PM
Any chance there are different rules for tourists vs residents - temporary or permanent?

And, apparently 5 years after release is a new clearance.

05-05-2005, 11:18 PM
Jft: thanks for the reference, that is very helpful, Brenda

05-06-2005, 06:39 AM
When I cross over to Canada from Port Huron, Michigan they ask me how long I'll be there, where am I going and if I have any cigarettes, guns, etc. with me. Since 9-11 they do check more cars and sometimes ask a few more questions. I've never been asked if I was convicted of anything.

05-06-2005, 07:09 AM
Thank you jft. It sounds like it will be a few years before I canoe in Quetico provincial park again. I guess it was a good thing that I went on a 10 day canoe trip with friends last September...since it will be a long time before I get a chance to do it again. The main reason I enjoy going to Quetico is...there are fewer people. They restrict the number of people allowed in...but they also make you pay for it. I have spent days up there with out seeing another person...or maybe just one other canoe.

I will be just as happy canoeing the BWCA (Boundary Waters Canoe Area) northern Minnesota. I've packed my gear away...and hung my canoe in the garage as I prepare for prison. But once I'm out I plan on spending as much time as I can up there with my partner and friends.

05-06-2005, 07:35 AM
Mrsdragon: Do they do any kind of computer check on either you or your car? There are integrated worldwide databases that countries use to question or block entrance. I don't think they have access to NCIC database, but US government has definitely provided computerized lists of names to other countries in an exchange program. Brenda

I've never been asked if I was convicted of anything.

05-06-2005, 08:03 AM
WOW, we wanted to go see the Falls when he got out and off parole, i'm wondering if we have to go thru all that , or maybe not, since we'll only be there for a few days?!

05-06-2005, 08:08 AM
When you enter Canada at least through Minnesota and eastern North Dakota...they run your car plates through the computer and they ask for your driver's license. Once...two years ago...they had us go into the building and they asked us a lot of questions before we were allowed to go in. Three years ago I applied for a remote border crossing permit and they found my DUI from 21 years ago. I was convicted in Wisconsin and didn't think it was in the computers...but I was wrong. Before that I had crossed into Canada for over 10 years with out a problem...but since Sep 11 that all changed. It seems to me that they have access to all of our records.

Mrsdragon: Do they do any kind of computer check on either you or your car? There are integrated worldwide databases that countries use to question or block entrance. I don't think they have access to NCIC database, but US government has definitely provided computerized lists of names to other countries in an exchange program. Brenda

05-06-2005, 10:35 PM if I read jft's info correctly, a CANADIAN CITIZEN who, after being convicted, entered the U.S. (or any other country) as a tourist would then have to be granted a PARDON or temporary resident status before going back home?

Seems extreme!

10-25-2005, 10:28 PM
No, a Canadian citizen can always return to Canada. I'm trying to find out about a felon husband of a Canadian tho..anyone know??

11-14-2005, 10:45 PM
I know I cant go to Canada unless I get permission from a judge.And it takes 30 days to approve.

11-15-2005, 11:37 PM
I spoke with my PO about this (while I was still on paper) and was told that the ban is for life. If Canada finds out there is a felony, you will not be allowed in and can be charged with illegal entry if caught. I never liked it enough to risk that anyway!

11-16-2005, 08:32 AM
And yet Martha Stewart just got permission to go, so it must not be unilateral, of course she was doing a show.

11-16-2005, 08:37 AM
yeah ... and she didn't get violated for breaking terms of home confinement either ... who whoulda thunk it.

Amazing what money can do.

02-20-2015, 10:00 AM
Hi, im 17 and i got a juvenile felony at the age of 12 or 13. I want to visit or even move to canada. My girlfriends graduation is soon. I want to know if i can still go if i have a juvenile record.

02-20-2015, 02:02 PM
The car checkpoints don't do as thorough of a check as they do in the office. So you can try to cross and if you don't get pulled into secondary, you should be fine. It is Canada not the USA that restricts entry.

02-20-2015, 02:38 PM
Canada does restrict entry to people with criminal records. Although because you were a juvenile it may be different.

Canada scans all passports at land crossings now (because of snowbirds and the US government needing an account of how long Canadians have been down there) so they would likely scan the passport of an American coming in.

You can apply for a TRP (that's what musicians and the like do when needing to get into Canada with a criminal record) and see how that goes. You may also just want to call the border crossing you will be using and ask if a juvenile record matters.

02-26-2015, 01:46 AM
juvenile records do count. they have access to it all-even scenarios where you weren't even convicted!

if you have drug or alcohol charges or violent crimes, you will likely get denied. you can apply for a temp visitors permit but they issue them at their discretion-there is no guarantee.

if you are serious about going to canada and ring turned away is not an option, you can contact a lawyer and file paperwork to be allowed in all the time.