View Full Version : Avenal State Prison

MickeyMom
05-04-2005, 09:24 AM
Hello All--

I have a son that was recently sent to Avenal on the 2 yard. I haven't been able to touch him for a year and for his daughter it's been nearly 2 years. We're planning to drive from SanDiego up there on a Friday night and visit Saturday. Then drive back Saturday night. Does anyone have any suggestions for a hotel in that area? Also what is there processing-in time like? If the visits start at 830am what time can we start lining up? I've been approved for Donovan and have my paperwork from there but Avenal keeps telling him that they don't have any visit forms available right now. I've never been refused before but really hate to drive over 300 miles and be turned away. Also anyone know how often they're locked down?

Thanks for any insight you can give me.

MickeyMom

TerriB
05-04-2005, 12:55 PM
I go to Avenal all the time, we all stay at the Motel 6 in Coalinga it is about 2 exits past Avenals' prison exit and you can see the hotel on the LEFT as you exit... it is close to Denny's and Red Robbin and gas stations and they have conveince stores in there also.

It is about 45.00 a nite I think for 2 people...
If you need any more help or information feel free to PM me and I'll help in anyway I can...

Terri

MamaSheila
05-04-2005, 04:02 PM
Hi and welcome to PTO.

Love, Sheila:thumbsup: :D :) ;) :p :o :hee: :yes: :wave: :dance: :yay: :clap: :beer: :hifive: :rock:

LeaAnn
05-04-2005, 04:56 PM
Welcome to PTO!

PT ROSE
05-04-2005, 07:39 PM
Hi, Welcome to PTO!

San Diego Mom
05-04-2005, 09:47 PM
I drive from San Diego to Avenal. I stay in Kettleman City about 5 or so miles just south of the Avenal SP turn off. Takes about 10 minutes to get to the prison from there. There is a Best Western and Motel 6 or 8. There is a diner, several gas stations and fast food. I suggest driving up the night before your Saturday visit.

Do not wear green (the guards wear green), and I think jeans are a no no as well. You can take a clear purse or small clear bag in with your ID, some quarters and $1.00 bills so you can buy snacks, sodas, etc in the vending machines. No lipstick, makeup, keys, etc.

If you do not have an appointment to visit, be in front of the building about 8:00 at least. They will start giving out passes between 8-8:30. Those with appointments get to visit first, so don't look forward to getting in until after 10:00. Be sure to call the visitation line to check about lockdowns. try 800-374-8474, or 559-386-0587, or 559-386-0256

This last week they were on lock down for TB, Hep C, Aids and other testing.

This facility was built to house about 2,500, and there are currently over 7,500 there. I have heard stories about visitation being cut short due to overcrowding.

Also, be sure to check weather conditions for the Pass. I was stuck one time coming home, southbound on 5 for over 4 hours due to a mud slide.

San Diego Mom
05-04-2005, 09:57 PM
yes - the 1-800-374-8474 number is the visitation line - press 4 and it will give you Avenal information. Appointments to visit can be made Mon, Tues, Fri 10-1 only at 559-386-0256, and are usually about 2 weeks out. Good luck getting through as well. The line is usually busy.

MickeyMom
05-07-2005, 10:16 AM
Hi--
Thank you all for the info. Guess I better check for an appointment before driving up blind. Sure would hate to be turned away after waiting so long. My Granddaughter would be horrified after thinking she was finally after 2 years getting to sit on his lap ---and then have them tell her NO. She doesn't have much faith in the California Prison system and she's only 10. I tell her she's seen most of California via it's correctional institutions, he's been in 5 others before Avenal and now he's doing a 6 year term.
Anyway wish us luck.

MickeyMOM

California Sunshine
05-07-2005, 10:55 AM
Welcome :)

Bec Marie
05-07-2005, 01:02 PM
Hi and Welcome to PTO :wave:

San Diego Mom
05-25-2005, 11:45 PM
I just visited my Son at Avenal this past weekend. They have a radio station around the grapevine 1460 - for traffic and road conditions. I tuned in and they were advertizing proposed delays for the Memorial Day weekend due to road repairs, and they were suggesting you take another route.

You all might want to check the road conditions before heading up over the holiday weekend. Good luck.

2nice
05-26-2005, 08:34 AM
Hi... Welcome to PTO!! :wave:

lowabeth
04-21-2013, 11:14 PM
Hi--
Thank you all for the info. Guess I better check for an appointment before driving up blind. Sure would hate to be turned away after waiting so long. My Granddaughter would be horrified after thinking she was finally after 2 years getting to sit on his lap ---and then have them tell her NO. She doesn't have much faith in the California Prison system and she's only 10. I tell her she's seen most of California via it's correctional institutions, he's been in 5 others before Avenal and now he's doing a 6 year term.
Anyway wish us luck.

MickeyMOM
much luck to you and your fam., this whole system sucks, i have been through folsom, duevell, now avenal, i think folsom was the best. anyway, hang in there, keep up your great attitude and soon he will be home