View Full Version : Pro Bono Attorneys

Pages : 1 [2]

Dreamsofregret
05-09-2011, 06:38 AM
Look. U CAN get a pro Bono lawyer at any state of ur appeals. U have plenty of law firms that will take cases pro Bono. Majority of all law firms take on a number of pro Bono cases a yr. To build their rep so to speak. And a lot of them are good. U just have to search for them. It's a lot that will say no at first. But u have to b consistent wit ur search. Don't give up. Cause u will find one. Da innocent project mainly deal wit DNA cases cause it's a open and close case so to speak. But like I said it's a lot of lawyers that will take ur case. They will want to check da case out first. To see if there r good grounds for either a new trial or new sentencing. Keep calling and writing and visit if u can. Dat will sho ur determination. It's so many PLp dat try to get pro Bono so dats y ur search is going to be hard. At n e rate. I wish u luck in ur search.

yourself
05-09-2011, 09:37 AM
Look. U CAN get a pro Bono lawyer at any state of ur appeals. U have plenty of law firms that will take cases pro Bono. Majority of all law firms take on a number of pro Bono cases a yr. To build their rep so to speak. And a lot of them are good. U just have to search for them. It's a lot that will say no at first. But u have to b consistent wit ur search. Don't give up. Cause u will find one. Da innocent project mainly deal wit DNA cases cause it's a open and close case so to speak. But like I said it's a lot of lawyers that will take ur case. They will want to check da case out first. To see if there r good grounds for either a new trial or new sentencing. Keep calling and writing and visit if u can. Dat will sho ur determination. It's so many PLp dat try to get pro Bono so dats y ur search is going to be hard. At n e rate. I wish u luck in ur search.

If you're going to pester attorneys to act pro bono, at least make your communication easy to read.

mz guye
05-13-2011, 12:29 AM
Ken I would like very much to have that info as well

Linda

i would love to have the info as well also..............;)

SouthernGyrl
05-19-2011, 09:16 PM
If you're going to pester attorneys to act pro bono, at least make your communication easy to read.

That was a bit harsh don't you think. I read the post with no problems.

yourself
05-19-2011, 09:48 PM
That was a bit harsh don't you think. I read the post with no problems.

Well, gee, you must be a lot better than me. Then again, I spend all day reading court opinions and writing briefs and motions and stuff like that. I don't have a lot of time to keep up with text speak and the latest slang. And the Judges I deal with don't appreciate wasting a lot of time on that stuff either. As an FYI, with the huge volume of Pro Bono requests all lawyers get each year, language like that reduces the chance that any of us will actually bother to read the request.

ned
05-19-2011, 10:32 PM
For the umpteenth time, no attorney will handle a postconviction criminal case pro bono, UNLESS actual innocence can be established through DNA evidence. And even in those types of cases, pro bono options are few; The Innocence Project or court appointed private counsel are the best avenues to pursue.

Something to think about: one goes to work each day in exchange for a paycheck, legal professionals included.

FOR THOSE IN CALIFORNIA

I highly recommend the California Appellate Project they CAN and DO diligently work for FREE on appeals for indigent clients. I would advise anyone in CA to at least talk to them. NO I don't work for them. But they did get my loved ones criminal conviction reversed in full (being innocent helped of course). Also The Exoneration Initiative works on cases without DNA. They recently freed William McCaffery who had served 4+ years for a crime that never happened. Lastly, California Prison Focus publishes a Prisoner Self-Help Manual specifically dealing with challenging Prison Gang Validation. It should be noted that being in possession of the manual can have you validated as a gang member. Hope that helps someone, at least here in Calif. My advice is keep asking until there's no one left to ask and don't take no for an answer and always do your own research to double check what anyone tells you and beware of the consequences of 'fighting back' Good luck.

ned
05-19-2011, 10:55 PM
For the umpteenth time, no attorney will handle a postconviction criminal case pro bono, UNLESS actual innocence can be established through DNA evidence. And even in those types of cases, pro bono options are few; The Innocence Project or court appointed private counsel are the best avenues to pursue.

Something to think about: one goes to work each day in exchange for a paycheck, legal professionals included.

FOR THOSE IN CALIFORNIA

Some legal professionals go to work because they believe in justice and a paycheck has nothing to do with it. I highly recommend the California Appellate Project they CAN and DO diligently work for FREE on appeals for indigent clients. I would advise anyone in CA to at least talk to them. NO I don't work for them. But they did get my loved ones criminal conviction reversed in full (being innocent helped of course, but it didn't keep him form being convicted). Also, The Exoneration Initiative works specifically on cases without DNA. They recently freed William McCaffery who had served 4+ years for a crime that never happened. Lastly, California Prison Focus publishes a Prisoner Self-Help Manual specifically dealing with challenging Prison Gang Validation. It should be noted that having the manual can have you validated as a gang member, be careful. Hope that helps someone, at least here in Calif. My advice is keep asking until there's no one left to ask and don't take no for an answer and always do your own research to double check what anyone tells you and beware of the consequences of 'fighting back' Good luck to all the families fighting everyday for their loved one's and bless those generous souls who choose to generously give their legal expertise to get our loved ones home knowing that there will be no financial reward.

rdgpunx
05-31-2011, 01:16 AM
What about an attorney for wrongful sentence enhancements? Would you still in the same place? 10 of the 14 years he has in enhancement and he has no gang relation, no violence. I have been researching this and cannot see with his charges why they were so high...would really like to at least talk to someone.

Thanks

inmate
06-02-2011, 11:05 AM
Good info to have for many who cannot afford lawyers. Thanks!

SouthernGyrl
06-05-2011, 03:32 PM
Well, gee, you must be a lot better than me. Then again, I spend all day reading court opinions and writing briefs and motions and stuff like that. I don't have a lot of time to keep up with text speak and the latest slang. And the Judges I deal with don't appreciate wasting a lot of time on that stuff either. As an FYI, with the huge volume of Pro Bono requests all lawyers get each year, language like that reduces the chance that any of us will actually bother to read the request.

This is a message board. People are here seeking information and encouragement not nasty answers. This isn't a court room, request for assistance, ect. so give it a rest. It was an encouraging post to someone in need of that.

yourself
06-05-2011, 05:08 PM
This is a message board. People are here seeking information and encouragement not nasty answers. This isn't a court room, request for assistance, ect. so give it a rest. It was an encouraging post to someone in need of that.

thank you so much for pointing this out to me! Please, next time, put in text speak so I can easily ignore you.

I swear, it's like trying to tell a defendant that a Budweiser t-shirt was not the best choice in courtroom attire for his DUI trial.

brittany28
06-08-2011, 03:40 PM
Hi, I have a question regarding a legal matter and was wondering if anyone knew of any pro-bono attorneys in Buffalo, NY. My father is incarcerated in Orleans County, NY, graduated the shock program last November 2010, but was denied parole because he was deemed a "threat to the community" ( he committed larceny- a white/blue collar crime) However, we received a paper back from his appeal stating that there was no evidence that would have denied him parole from shock. He was then sentenced to be with the general public in Orleans County until Feb. when he was put into work release. While in work release, he had found 4 different jobs, but was told that he couldn't accept them. Then, finally when he was allowed to work at one of the jobs, he told them that he was on parole, and not work release. Work release found out and then sent him to the box in Orleans until July 12th. Well, last week, after weeks of threats from his box-mate saying that he was going to slit his throat with his razor, he slipped the Captain a note saying that he was being abused. Which, he was, he had bruises all over his body, was being tied up and strangled at night. My father weighs about 160 lbs soaking wet, if that, is paralyzed in his right arm, and has no spleen. However, when I call on Monday morning, 6/6/2011 asking to speak to his counselor, he tells me that my father has been in a fight, but it wasn't bad enough to be hospitalized. Number 1, my dad does not have a spleen, if he was punched in the stomach, he may have internal bleeding and no one would ever know. The main reason I am writing is because now my father was issued a ticket for not reporting being "abused" by his box-mate and faces being in prison even longer, when he was just trying to protect himself.

Any advice would be great :)

nimuay
06-08-2011, 06:09 PM
There is no such thing as a pro bono attorney. All attorneys can take a case pro bono if they choose, and are officially encouraged to do so by the Bar Association. However, you need to find an attorney who has the time to donate to you, who has expertise in the area you want to contest, and who likes the case. You have to interview a lot of attorneys to find that combination.

NotherWife2
06-08-2011, 09:41 PM
There is no such thing as a pro bono attorney. All attorneys can take a case pro bono if they choose, and are officially encouraged to do so by the Bar Association. However, you need to find an attorney who has the time to donate to you, who has expertise in the area you want to contest, and who likes the case. You have to interview a lot of attorneys to find that combination.
Might I add respectfully here, LEGAL REFORM is just as IMPORTANT as this MEDIA US BS Medical crap.... OUR PEOPLE ARE DYING at the hands of the GOV. left/right/middle/north and south...... THERE is NOT ONE thing RIGHT about LEGAL in the DIVIDED States of America.
Lawyers and Doctors are SOOOO NOT about "RIGHT". The US of A is a selfish, greedy, wasteful group of G A N G S.... From the "top" Masons all the way to the bottom Street level.
AND, President Obama is the ONLY GLIMMER of light there is... A NEW BREED.. BUT---- HISTORY has already proved the US will NEVER be what they PROCLAIM it to be.... The white man stole this once beautiful and prosperous land and made it into a selfish, greedy and wasteful place...
Sorry so long and in depth... BUT IT IS WHAT IT IS.

yourself
06-08-2011, 10:16 PM
Might I add respectfully here, LEGAL REFORM is just as IMPORTANT as this MEDIA US BS Medical crap.... OUR PEOPLE ARE DYING at the hands of the GOV. left/right/middle/north and south...... THERE is NOT ONE thing RIGHT about LEGAL in the DIVIDED States of America.
Lawyers and Doctors are SOOOO NOT about "RIGHT". The US of A is a selfish, greedy, wasteful group of G A N G S.... From the "top" Masons all the way to the bottom Street level.
AND, President Obama is the ONLY GLIMMER of light there is... A NEW BREED.. BUT---- HISTORY has already proved the US will NEVER be what they PROCLAIM it to be.... The white man stole this once beautiful and prosperous land and made it into a selfish, greedy and wasteful place...
Sorry so long and in depth... BUT IT IS WHAT IT IS.

Thank you - I guess I should get off these boards and start charging, get rid of all my pro bono clients and double my fees. Hell, triple my fees, and never go to a police station again.

Paralegal USA
06-09-2011, 09:19 AM
Some legal professionals go to work because they believe in justice and a paycheck has nothing to do with it … bless those generous souls who choose to generously give their legal expertise to get our loved ones home knowing that there will be no financial reward.

While true is that many legal professionals “believe in justice”, if but not for financial remuneration, we could not pay back out student loans, nor could we affords to pay the costs of Westlaw, Lexis and other legal research databases we use; our tools of the trade, so to speak. To be sure, without compensation, we’d all have to file bankruptcy.

I cannot speak for other legal professionals here regarding pro bono work, but I can and will speak for me. And what I have to say is this: I donate a lot of time and money to actual innocence cases. When I can, I give my all to helping free those who are innocent of the offenses for which they are convicted and imprisoned. But, I do not, nor will not, donate my expensive legal education, time and hard-earned money in effort to cause for the release of someone who is guilty of the offense(s) they are imprisoned for.

This is a message board

Correct you are. For my message, see above.

The economy has changed the pro bono assistance landscape. Yes, the Bar does encourage all attorneys to donate X number hours each year to pro bono work. But nowadays, the vast majority of lawyers – at least the ones I contract with – are more inclined to give pro bono assistance to situations involving foreclosures or evictions and to domestic violence cases than to helping free someone from prison who was unduly harshly sentenced for a crime they are factually guilty of.

As I mentioned above, I limit my pro bono assistance in criminal cases to those in which someone is factually innocent of the crime(s) for which they are imprisoned. Many members here claim their loved one is innocent, and some truly are, but by no means all. My experience shows that less than 20% of those claiming actual innocence, are indeed actually innocent. But to determine the innocence/guilt probabilities in a given case requires expenditure of a lot of time. I mention this to point out that when someone requests my “free” assistance based on the assertion that their loved one is truly innocent, and when it turns out they are truly guilty, the time I carve out of my schedule each week to help the truly innocent, is dramatically reduced.

sass4221
06-10-2011, 08:33 PM
Besides the trials and appeals branches, the Kentucky Department of Public Advocacy has a post conviction branch that deals mostly with ineffective assitance of counsel claims. We don't do it soley for the paycheck, we care about the clients and want to help them however we can. The paycheck is at the bottom of the list. Our lawyers are court-appointed for indigent inmates. (Gideon v. Wainwright, 372 U.S. 335 (1963)).

momsbrokenheart
06-11-2011, 11:39 AM
Thank you. I'm new to this type of communication. The information you have provided is helpful.

katpaws
06-12-2011, 09:19 PM
Hi Ken, I sure can use your search engine. This is my first time at prison talk. I have been searching endlessly in finding a Pro Bono Attorney, Civil Rights Action (Lawsuit) in Ely, Nevada. White Pine County, Nevada. Thank you.

yourself
06-17-2011, 05:56 PM
Hi Ken, I sure can use your search engine. This is my first time at prison talk. I have been searching endlessly in finding a Pro Bono Attorney, Civil Rights Action (Lawsuit) in Ely, Nevada. White Pine County, Nevada. Thank you.

Actually, you're not looking for a pro bono attorney. You're looking for an attorney willing to work on a contingency basis. No attorney will file a 1983 action totally gratis, especially since some 1983 actions allow for recovery of attorneys fees and all related costs.

Pro Bono - totally free; win, lose, or draw, the attorney's not getting paid. Note, you may have to come up with costs.

Contingency - free if you lose, but the attorney recovers fees up to a certain percentage if you win. Top rate, if I remember correctly, is 40% if you go through to a jury verdict. You may say that's crap on a $1M verdict, but that percentage is the same if you recover $1. Note, also, you may have to pay fees.

Flat Fee - you pay a fee up front for the duration of the representation as defined by contract. Representation ends when the contract says it ends. Flat fee may or may not include costs.

Retainer - an estimated amount given to the lawyer to place in trust as s/he represents you in that particular cause. The lawyer then deducts his/her hourly rate for billable hours. May or may not include costs. The attorney is obliged to return any unused portion to you at the termination of the litigation. Further, it's an estimate, and sometimes that estimate is off in the other direction, requiring the attorney to ask for more retainer.

Attorney's Fees - what you pay the attorney for what the attorney does

Costs - filing fees, subpoena costs, expert costs, testing costs, stamps, phone call costs (especially if they're coming from jail), and anything else that the attorney has to pay for, but wouldn't have to pay for if s/he wasn't involved in that particular case.

jerseytroy
06-19-2011, 10:58 AM
.ExternalClass .ecxhmmessage P{padding:0px;}.ExternalClass body.ecxhmmessage{font-size:10pt;font-family:Tahoma;}.ExternalClass .ecxhmmessage P{padding:0px;}.ExternalClass body.ecxhmmessage{font-size:10pt;font-family:Tahoma;}Hello,

Anyone out there I need advise on a case of a friend. I have a friend, who has been incarcerated for over 12 years. He was sentenced under an illegal sentence, because in the state of Florida you cannot represent yourself as a lawyer if your a Psyche inmate. Nevertheless, the state of Florida let him do this; furthermore I am simply trying to see if you can point me in the right direction in getting him Pro Bono help; since, he cannot afford a regular lawyer. Also, how much would a case like his cost; being that his appeal has been denied twice.

I would appreciate if anyone can either point me in the right direction or give me any type of advise to go forward. My friend appeal time is running out by the deadline date. Also his brother is concerned because the appeal time frame causes him to run out of time. I do not know when is the deadline date though, but my friend is concern.

Also the Inmate wants to reach out to help: "What's up I'm (FL inmate name & DOC #removed per policy). The living conditions are substandard, because the Dept. of Corrections is making millions off inmate families. I want to start a State Petition drive to the FL. legislature for new Laws that will protect inmates rights. If you can help or have ideas leave an address or E-mail: (removed per policy; please contact member via pm system). Thank you & God Bless

yourself
06-19-2011, 12:01 PM
First off, your friend is going to get no traction on the issue of self representation. Self representation is an integral right held by every person, citizen or not. The competency of a person to represent himself is pretty basic, and is not based on whether or not the person is a psych patient. Hell, plenty of lawyers have psych histories but are nonetheless competent to represent others, without bar oversight. So, if the court properly checked the legal competency of the Defendant (and they probably did), and the guy wanted to represent himself, the Court had to abide by that decision. The consequences of representing yourself include waiving Ineffective Assistance of Counsel on appeal. You're not going to find an attorney willing to take that case - plenty of Defendants have represented themselves all the way to a lethal injection. Nobody's going to take your friend's case based on competency, especially when death is not involved.

Normally, the appeal is handled by an appeals lawyer, either one hired by the Defendant (or his family) or appointed by the court, as in the case of people who use the Public Defender. If he would have qualified for the PD for his trial, he should petition the court for the appointment of the state appellate defender to handle his appeal. Otherwise, find a good post conviction attorney.

A private attorney is going to run you a minimum 5 figures if you can find anybody actually willing to appeal a perfectly legal sentence because your friend decided to defend himself. Whether that 5 figures is more towards 6 figures, or the lower 5 figure number depends on a lot of factors, including the complexity of the case. I'll tell you this - it's going to be even more difficult to find an attorney seeing as there are current mental health issues. When we see clients who want to represent themselves, we know we're in for a long, arduous time just trying to explain stuff. Throw in a Defendant who represented himself, and the natural criticism of that representation, and it's a headache waiting to happen.

bumblebee1992
06-20-2011, 02:03 PM
Does anyone know any Pro Bono Attorney's in Michigan? The innocense projects here only take cases where theres DNA found, they did find DNA but it was not my husbands. The jury heard only that they did not find my husbands DNA they didn't hear other DNA was found.

I wish you luck ,,, that your posting find what you need. I called everywhere,,,, looking for someone with compassion to take my sons case,, pro bono , I could not find one,,,,,,Good luck with your search

DaveMoff
06-20-2011, 05:56 PM
Somewhat off-topic, but there are attorneys who will work on a "low bono" basis, accepting a reduced fee in a case where a defendant and/or family has a low or fixed income. Some will also agree to allow someone to make payment--in practice, as long as you are paying SOMETHING each month, that's generally enough to keep the peace.

All of this is strictly voluntary, as is pro bono work. State bar associations, as a rule, "strongly encourage" every attorney to do some each year, but cannot require it (my father never did, purely because he was a cheap s.o.b.). It can help to see which attorneys in your area tend to be "civic minded" or active in the community. Similarly, at least some bar associations give commendations to attorneys, the most common reason being for pro bono work. If you see such a certificate in an attorney's office or can learn who has received a commendation or commendations (some bar associations publicize this, some do not), you've probably found a good one to at least approach with the idea of taking on a pro bono case.

DaveMoff
06-20-2011, 05:58 PM
Somewhat off-topic, but there are attorneys who will work on a "low bono" basis, accepting a reduced fee in a case where a defendant and/or family has a low or fixed income. Some will also agree to allow someone to make payment--in practice, as long as you are paying SOMETHING each month, that's generally enough to keep the peace.

All of this is strictly voluntary, as is pro bono work. State bar associations, as a rule, "strongly encourage" every attorney to do some each year, but cannot require it (my father never did, purely because he was a cheap s.o.b.). It can help to see which attorneys in your area tend to be "civic minded" or active in the community. Similarly, at least some bar associations give commendations to attorneys, the most common reason being for pro bono work. If you see such a certificate in an attorney's office or can learn who has received a commendation or commendations (some bar associations publicize this, some do not), you've probably found a good one to at least approach with the idea of taking on a pro bono case.

yourself
06-20-2011, 09:11 PM
Actually, I accepted 2 years of snow shoveling once for a representation. But, it was a kid I knew, one of 6 kids in a low income family. So, sometimes, if you have a skill you can barter, you might get some traction that way. Granted, snow removal in Miami is a loser, but if you know carpentry or plumbing or roofing or something, you might get more interest.

I4297
06-28-2011, 02:03 AM
Okay, so quick question for "yourself" do you do any cases that involve new charges while incarcerated? For example: My boyfriend was validated, but was not given no time to appeal. Mind you, he's a Native American. So the validation would make no sense. Besides that the "supposed" evidence used against him, let's put it this way, not one word matches his hand hand writing. The hand writing on the " supposed" evidence matches to the person, or better yet the officer who conducts validations. My boyfriend has no gang tattoos, for 1. For 2, even out here in the streets he was never a validated gang member. & for 3 the "evidence" was never found in his possession. His cell was ransacked from top to bottom and found nothing. But, where did the evidence come from? Who knows?! And with that validation he is stuck in the shu, with a one trip to Pelican Bay SHU, where I honestly feel he does not belong. Of course I'm not blinded to the fact that him being a good guy got him where he's at. But in this case I know for fact he wouldn't mess with his chances of comeing home to his son. I just want to know how can I go about with this? We have an attorney doing "his job" but that man can never be reached, and the suppose appeal on the validation is being over seen. Please I'd greatly appriciate some advice or even help. Or if anyone on here has any suggestions, please do so. Thanks!

yourself
07-01-2011, 10:43 PM
I don't know what to tell you. The closest prison facility to where I work is Thompson correctional, which, since it has not inmates, produces no charges, and has no validation process.

Here's what I'd do; if I'm convinced that the appointed attorney is not doing his job, I'd check with his tribe to see if they have legal representation for members. I've worked with a number of very sophisticated attorneys who represent tribes, and they're usually licensed by the tribe, in at least one state, and in several federal jurisdictions. So, since he's a member of a tribe, getting the attention of that tribe, and seeing if they have available legal support may get him an attorney who relates to him better than his appointed lawyer.

Other than that, the argument, "he's a Native American, so can't be a member of a gang" is bunk, and you should know that. There are a few gangs that accept members from other races, and there are a very few gangs that are multi-racial. I don't know about CA prisons, but, they exist, and people get validated. So, he's going to have to come up with more evidence other than his race to counter "validation".

If he's spending significant time in the SHU, I feel for both you and him. That is a hell that should not be forced on anyone. Do everything you can to make sure he has contact with the outside world. Visitation is great, and if you can't visit, make sure he's at least getting visitation from tribe and religious personnel. Contact is absolutely essential in maintaining sanity, so the more visitation, letters and other material he can get, the better. I know it's hard, but see what the tribe has to say. If they are no joy, and he's absolutely convinced that the appointed attorney isn't doing his job, write again, and I'll give you a few more ideas.

I4297
07-01-2011, 11:03 PM
I don't know what to tell you. The closest prison facility to where I work is Thompson correctional, which, since it has not inmates, produces no charges, and has no validation process.

Here's what I'd do; if I'm convinced that the appointed attorney is not doing his job, I'd check with his tribe to see if they have legal representation for members. I've worked with a number of very sophisticated attorneys who represent tribes, and they're usually licensed by the tribe, in at least one state, and in several federal jurisdictions. So, since he's a member of a tribe, getting the attention of that tribe, and seeing if they have available legal support may get him an attorney who relates to him better than his appointed lawyer.

Other than that, the argument, "he's a Native American, so can't be a member of a gang" is bunk, and you should know that. There are a few gangs that accept members from other races, and there are a very few gangs that are multi-racial. I don't know about CA prisons, but, they exist, and people get validated. So, he's going to have to come up with more evidence other than his race to counter "validation".

If he's spending significant time in the SHU, I feel for both you and him. That is a hell that should not be forced on anyone. Do everything you can to make sure he has contact with the outside world. Visitation is great, and if you can't visit, make sure he's at least getting visitation from tribe and religious personnel. Contact is absolutely essential in maintaining sanity, so the more visitation, letters and other material he can get, the better. I know it's hard, but see what the tribe has to say. If they are no joy, and he's absolutely convinced that the appointed attorney isn't doing his job, write again, and I'll give you a few more ideas.

Thank you, for the info. My next step is what you said go and find someone from his tribe that can relate to him. And I agree time in the SHU is no good just waiting on visitation approval and I will be makeing some road trips often! Thank god for our communication because with out that I don't think we'd make it this far...even tho many miles keeps us apart but we are together at heart....thank you for your time I'd greatly appreciated it..I will also be keeping in touch, just in case this attorney he has is no good! -Have a great weekend!

dshsjs4ever
07-02-2011, 06:52 AM
Thank you - I guess I should get off these boards and start charging, get rid of all my pro bono clients and double my fees. Hell, triple my fees, and never go to a police station again.

Lol.. this is funny!

chaney&jo
08-16-2011, 11:23 AM
hello, i wondering if anyone knows of any professor or lawyers that will insist me and my husband on his appeal he found some evidence that will be helpful for his case please if anyone know of anyone in ny please let me no pm me i will greatly appreciate it thank you in advance.

REAdkins5
08-20-2011, 10:06 AM
That makes two of us I would like some inmate assistance also.

Legal Services Support Illinois are no longer at the address given above.

I had stuff returned to me recently with a note on saying they had moved.

If anyone has a new address for them I'd like to know it, thanks.

Rose

yourself
09-11-2011, 10:50 PM
That makes two of us I would like some inmate assistance also.

Never heard of them. Prairie State Legal Services is the civil branch of legal aid in Illinois that I'm familiar with. Contact www.pslegal.org

Chicago has more options.

Oh, yeah, I'm an Illinois lawyer. I don't know everything or every organization out there, but I've never heard of them, and they don't seem to have a web presence. I'd stick with the tried and true. PS Legal for civil matters.

SoozeCat
10-04-2011, 10:44 AM
With regard to Ohio, please make note:

If you do not have a First Degree felony and/or over 10 years on your sentence, they will not take on your case. They simply send you a Pro Bono package and wish you luck.

perduesgirl
10-17-2011, 01:49 PM
but have to try at least. He needs the miracle of a PROBONO lawyer willing to come to Arizona and fight for him, for us, for the rest of our lives...literally.
Seriously, I am 52 and before him there was no one for over ten years so if they win I won't expect another chance at being with someone I love and who loves me for the rest of my life. I swear on everything that this case is bogus there's a combination of a local cop with a personal grudge and a broken promise from the County Attorney's office but with his past criminal history , the fact that he is currently incarcerated ,(was eligible for early release in February of 2012 till this) and they're fooling around with his Public Defender's who are entering Pleas etc.. yet have never once seen or spoken to him, and finally no one seems to care that the Judge ordered him to appear IN PERSON for his court dates or else.... He will certainly end up taking these charges and doing even more time for things he didn't do and doesn't deserve!
No one has ever helped either one of us not even when our home burned. then a Judge granted the very person responsible for the fire a judgement, eviction against me and I was never notified of a court date about anything.
If someone would be interested in saving the rest of two regular people's lives by taking care of this wrong so that his release will come through and we can just get older in peace together, you would have or undying gratitude and we would do what ever we could within our means for you for the rest of our lives too anyone out there??
Details shared should a Miracle show
Thanks,
Perduesgirl:confused::(

delia-duck
10-17-2011, 02:45 PM
:o Hang on in there and dont give up x

Cara1947
10-17-2011, 03:28 PM
I wish I could offer a solution. I'm 64; if we do the whole bid, I'll be 78. I hear "get old together" . . . my heart aches for you.

Check the beginning of this forum. There are pro bono attorneys listed there by state.

I am sending you healing and peace energy.

***HUG**

Anjie
10-27-2011, 06:14 AM
My husband is currently awaiting trial in kansas, while I am in the UK I'm having trouble finding an attorney I can afford to pay & I was hoping to find out who his pro bono attorney is so i can speak to him. Does anyone know of any reasonably priced criminal attorneys in kansas. any help appreciated

yourself
10-27-2011, 09:48 AM
My husband is currently awaiting trial in kansas, while I am in the UK I'm having trouble finding an attorney I can afford to pay & I was hoping to find out who his pro bono attorney is so i can speak to him. Does anyone know of any reasonably priced criminal attorneys in kansas. any help appreciated

if he cannot afford an attorney, one will be appointed to him. It's a constitutional right. There are some very fine PDs out there. Unless the case is high profile or involves unique issues, you're not going to find a pro bono attorney to handle it at the trial level. Sorry.

yourself
10-27-2011, 09:49 AM
oh, and one other thing - make sure your consulate knows of his incarceration and pending trial. The consulate's office can really help you out with communication, understanding the US legal system, and a variety of other things, assuming he's a UK citizen (even a dual). Check with the nearest consulate, make sure they know.

chicabazan
10-29-2011, 06:20 PM
Does anyone know the telephone number to safe prision in texas or maybe a lawyer that can help me out... my sons life has been threaten and Ive spoken to a couple of people already but Im not getting the results that are needed and I`m afraid these inmates are gonna kill my son because hes not willing to be part of any gang.. any help is appreciated....

Anjie
10-30-2011, 01:05 PM
oh, and one other thing - make sure your consulate knows of his incarceration and pending trial. The consulate's office can really help you out with communication, understanding the US legal system, and a variety of other things, assuming he's a UK citizen (even a dual). Check with the nearest consulate, make sure they know.

Thanks for the advice,my husband is an American citizen. He does have appointed representation unfortunately he doesn't seem to be doing much. I was hoping there was a way I could find out who is representing him & contact them to discuss the case. My contact with my husband is very limited at the moment, i'm waiting to hear back from him for more info. But waiting & doing nothing is very frustrating

BFAV4EVER
11-08-2011, 09:24 AM
I am looking for some help ... I am in Upstate NY (NOT NYC), my fiance is currently serving the last 5 1/2 weeks of a 90 day parole violation. He was informed this morning he is going to "court". At the moment he was not given any further information. After making 30 plus calls, finding our city and county courts are closed today for election day, I was able to speak to the facility he is in and found they only have an "Order to Produce" him in the city court where we live next week. We do not know what the charge is or any background. My heart is breaking, I want him home!!! I need legal help to figure this all out. I have some CJ course back ground but just need a nudge in the right direction ... perhaps an attorney to talk to.

PLEASE HELP ME!!!

kjg
11-08-2011, 04:55 PM
anyone know of a good,pro bono lawyer in Jackson Mi? or near there? My BF has a pubic defender and is worried she's not doing a good job for him.Or that she doesnt have his best intrest at heart. can anyone help? thank you
:confused:

nimuay
11-08-2011, 06:48 PM
kjg - if you read through this thread, you will find an explanation of what pro bono actually is.......and how to deal with finding one.

ntavarez04
11-10-2011, 06:37 PM
My fiance is incarcerated in Lewisburg, PA but he was originally charged in South Carolina. He received a Life Sentenced, I need to find a Pro Bono Lawyer in SC just to look at his sentenced. Does anyone know where I can find one?

Colorado friend
11-10-2011, 07:34 PM
Can you ask for a different public defender? Or will that just cause problems since they all work in the same office.?

cynderella143
01-04-2012, 11:23 AM
Finding a pro bono lawyer in nys is driving me crazyyyyy!!! :smash: :banghead:
If anyone has any info please e-mail me on here! :help: :(

palewhitedragon
01-06-2012, 03:17 AM
Jerome N Frank
Legal Services Organization

weirdbutloved
01-06-2012, 12:19 PM
Thank you for taking the time to read this post. I hopefully won't take too much of your time, as I'm sure you are extremely busy.

A dear friend of mine is currently in prison for a crime he didn't commit. His name is Jeffrey Karr, and he has been accused of murdering Michael Wermy. I've known this young man for most of my life and he is like a brother to me. It appears that he is not going to receive a fair trial. Since he's been in prison he has received hate mail and, to my knowledge, some of the letters have said that they will make sure he is put away for life. I know it sounds like just minor threats, and I would agree if it weren't for the fact that the individuals sending these letters are a part of the Oklahoma Justice System.

The family members of Mr. Karr are finically incapable of affording another attorney. The first time they hired an attorney, Amy McTeer, she was removed from the case for harboring a fugitive in Oklahoma County. The money they paid Mrs. McTeer was not refunded.

I'm pleading with whom ever is reading this to please help. Jeffrey Karr might have been a lot of things in his life, but he is not a murder.

The family members are in need of Pro Bono case worker that can get Mr. Karr a fair trial.

Thank you for reading letter, and I hope desperately that you get in contact with myself or members of Mr. Karr's family.

lewslovebug
03-09-2012, 08:04 AM
Does anyone know of any pro bono lawyers in Cincinnati Ohio that take on Federal Courts for Sex Offenders that have been charged with duty to register and have an out of state charge for failure to register? Please let me know... My husband has been trying to have a life since he E.O.S'd out in 2009 and now he is looking at going away again.. He had 10yrs plus taken from him and has been behind bars all his life. He was 17 and the victim was 28. So its not like he just went out and raped anyone.. If anyone would just look at this case and see how he got railroaded by the state of Alabama, they would see he doesnt belong on a sex offender list.. He was convicted before all these new laws on sex offenders.. Please help.....

calicat25
03-13-2012, 05:15 PM
Anyone know a pro bonk immigration lawyer in California ??

1sadmama
04-02-2012, 09:08 PM
any idea on how to find out if your lawyer can help u get moved from county jail for work release to go back to a halfway house?
son was sent from Scranton CCC to Col County Jail...and he is having a hard time...like being sent back to state for NO VIOlations...just so he can be closer to home.. NOT good...any suggestions?

jadenjordan
04-04-2012, 05:29 PM
If any1 can recommend a pro bono criminal lawyer n Ga for an appeals case please let me know. Or some1 that can research transcripts and the laws at a reasonable price. Finding a lawyer to handle an appeal or file for a hebeus corpus is difficult especially when they want thousands of $$$ to file, up front with no assurance if it will be granted. My hubby is serving life under the felony murder law for concealing a death. His trial attorney practically did nothing, and the P.D. that filed his MFNT screwed it up so bad, the only remedy he has left is his state hebeus. If he were convicted n any other state he probably wouls be home by now. He has served 10 yrs. he will be up 4 parole n 4 yrs. Really they dont have 2 do it pro bono, just some1 reasonable that can work with us.

nimuay
04-04-2012, 07:11 PM
Check law schools - they sometimes run clinics with law students under the supervision of a professor.

mshane
04-14-2012, 09:43 PM
If you have tried to negotiate with your bill collectors to no avail, and you don't foresee your circumstance changing in the near future to pay off your bills it may be time to consult a bankruptcy lawyer.

loving-him
04-15-2012, 09:00 AM
If anyone could please suggest to me a pro-bono lawyer in pa ! I have a loved one who was sentence 30-60 years he has already been incarcerated 13 years and he has only been he trouble this one time, never violated while incarcerated and no one was hurt during crime and no drugs were involved !

nimuay
04-15-2012, 12:04 PM
Contact the law schools associated with the Pennsylvania universities.

loving-him
04-15-2012, 12:54 PM
Contact the law schools associated with the Pennsylvania universities.

Thanks so much, I will do so first thing in the am

yourself
04-15-2012, 02:50 PM
If any1 can recommend a pro bono criminal lawyer n Ga for an appeals case please let me know. Or some1 that can research transcripts and the laws at a reasonable price. Finding a lawyer to handle an appeal or file for a hebeus corpus is difficult especially when they want thousands of $$$ to file, up front with no assurance if it will be granted. My hubby is serving life under the felony murder law for concealing a death. His trial attorney practically did nothing, and the P.D. that filed his MFNT screwed it up so bad, the only remedy he has left is his state hebeus. If he were convicted n any other state he probably wouls be home by now. He has served 10 yrs. he will be up 4 parole n 4 yrs. Really they dont have 2 do it pro bono, just some1 reasonable that can work with us.

If you find a lawyer who guarantees results, run away. Run very quickly away. No decent lawyer will guarantee results. Decent lawyers will give you an idea of whether something might work, but will never guarantee results.

Oh, and what do you think a lawyer should be paid for preparing a 75 page document, a 50 page rebuttal to the State's counter argument, and possibly prepare an oral argument and rebuttal if the court decides to hear oral arguments? This is after reading 10 thousand or more pages of transcript and finding issues that were not covered in a direct appeal? And, that's without doing an investigation to find new evidence (i.e. evident that wasn't available at the time of the first trial/plea)?

solid_is_she
04-16-2012, 04:20 PM
HI...... My bf has to file a hebeas corpus in June our plan was to get a lawyer but our money isn't right so now I'm wondering is there pro borno lawyers that will take this case if not what should we do

nimuay
04-16-2012, 05:12 PM
If you read through the thread you might come up with ideas. Too many to list again.

solid_is_she
04-16-2012, 09:23 PM
I did........... It's a lot but the information was useful... Thanks

IAmAllHis
04-24-2012, 10:18 PM
Anyone familiar with free legal aide in Cleveland or Columbus (Ohio)? My hasband is in Southern Ohio Corrections so I don't know which would be better. He wants to file a habeas corpus and wants representation. Unfortunately, with him being locked up, it's like a I am already taking care of 2 households so there is no money for a lawyer :-( Thanks for any help!

yourself
04-24-2012, 10:26 PM
Anyone familiar with free legal aide in Cleveland or Columbus (Ohio)? My hasband is in Southern Ohio Corrections so I don't know which would be better. He wants to file a habeas corpus and wants representation. Unfortunately, with him being locked up, it's like a I am already taking care of 2 households so there is no money for a lawyer :-( Thanks for any help!
Most legal aid helps with civil matters, so you're really going to have to target your search for criminal post conviction attorneys and organizations. You may have some luck contacting a law school if they have a clinic program for students (students work the cases, but under the supervision of professors who are all attorneys with a significant enough record to teach at law schools).

You should also connect with your local branch of the ACLU(OCLU) and see if they have a project dealing with post conviction relief.

Usually, all have online presences that describe the cases they take, and the intake procedures.

Symmore
05-17-2012, 09:03 AM
Are there no Probono Lawyers that can practice in Alabama???

nimuay
05-17-2012, 10:48 AM
Symmore, pro bono is strongly suggested by the ABA, but you have to find out who is available for any particular type of case. You can check law firms (sometimes the larger ones will designate an associate to do such work or each individual attorney will choose their own pro bono work), and check with law schools.

sarahas
06-23-2012, 04:44 PM
Just found this website it helped me out alot!! I spent the morning e-mailing everyone I could regarding my loved ones case. I havent posted 25 posts or more so it isnt letting me add links but check out probono.net or lawhelp.org

babyarianna
06-24-2012, 10:20 PM
I want to add if any are in Brevard county Florida there is a wonderful lawyer Todd Derantany in Indialantic Beach he is better then most high dollar lawyer, he does charge, but very affordable and makes payment plans, but he is a winner... If I had a million dollars, I would still use his services, hope this reaches someone that may need the advise...

acat
08-21-2012, 08:41 AM
If there's anyone who can do pro bono work or work with me on a fee in Virginia for post conviction and pending probation violations that were supposed to be taking care of, please private message me.

Sheryl P.
08-21-2012, 08:58 AM
I need a lawyer who can do some basic work at a reasonable cost and not throw in hidden fees.Any suggestions for one who will deal with shu inmate(s) in California?

Ramira34
09-14-2012, 01:29 PM
im needing a pro bono in california for excessive sentence and i was going to say an unfair trial but i think everyone gets that:( weve been told though for his case it could be done.

Straight
09-29-2012, 01:12 PM
im needing a pro bono in california for excessive sentence and i was going to say an unfair trial but i think everyone gets that:( weve been told though for his case it could be done.

What was it about the trial that was unfair?

His1BabyGurl
10-04-2012, 06:32 PM
Let me begin by saying Thank you for at least reading this, My fiancee was accused and thrown in jail for a theft he did NOT commit. He was cleaning up his life, we were planning on moving, and then this, he does have a history of theft, BUT I would put my hand in fire! I am that sure he did NOT do this, the person that said he did this has it in for him, only because my fiancee went back int the store forgetting he signed he would NEVER step foot into the store, he did, BUT he bought stuff and has the receipts to show this. At first they had on the ticket a criminal trespass, but looking at the ticket, it was crossed off and he was still accused and detained of stealing an item he clearly put back on a shelf.....Loss prevention ran out of the store and said AREN'T YOU GOING TO PAY FOR THIS? Also come with me! Then that's when it all happened, now the problem we are facing, is we desperately need a pro-bono attorney. I know you good guys are out there, but finding you, ha that's another story. We have been on the phone and online for weeks in search of one, even went through the links on here. Still have nothing. If any of you fine attorneys are interested in finding out more details...or have any information on whom to contact pls email me. There is more to this, but I don't feel comfortable exposing all the information on the board. Thank you in advance.

yourself
10-08-2012, 08:43 AM
Let me begin by saying Thank you for at least reading this, My fiancee was accused and thrown in jail for a theft he did NOT commit. He was cleaning up his life, we were planning on moving, and then this, he does have a history of theft, BUT I would put my hand in fire! I am that sure he did NOT do this, the person that said he did this has it in for him, only because my fiancee went back int the store forgetting he signed he would NEVER step foot into the store, he did, BUT he bought stuff and has the receipts to show this. At first they had on the ticket a criminal trespass, but looking at the ticket, it was crossed off and he was still accused and detained of stealing an item he clearly put back on a shelf.....Loss prevention ran out of the store and said AREN'T YOU GOING TO PAY FOR THIS? Also come with me! Then that's when it all happened, now the problem we are facing, is we desperately need a pro-bono attorney. I know you good guys are out there, but finding you, ha that's another story. We have been on the phone and online for weeks in search of one, even went through the links on here. Still have nothing. If any of you fine attorneys are interested in finding out more details...or have any information on whom to contact pls email me. There is more to this, but I don't feel comfortable exposing all the information on the board. Thank you in advance.

You are not going to find an attorney to take on trial level work pro bono. The PD exists to help the indigent at the trial level on criminal charges. Even court appointed attorneys get paid something at the trial level on criminal charges.

Barring something of significance to take this outside the realm of the run of the mill, there's no way an attorney will take this for no money, no return. We have to eat, too.

(factors that take something outside the run of the mill: something significant about the defendant such that he makes headlines every time he sneezes, something about the crime that makes headlines, something about the victim that makes the case significant, something about the law that places the case within an area that's ripe for change. In other words, win, loses, or draw, the publicity of the case more than makes up for a lack of funds and a lawyer can count on a significant increase in business by taking the case pro bono.)

If I were your LO, I'd apply for a court appointed attorney and see how the PD does with stuff. I'd also stop trying to plead the facts of the case on an open bulletin board system like this. You a not going to get a free lawyer outside the PD/court appointed list, so start putting your energies elsewhere.

His1BabyGurl
10-09-2012, 05:53 PM
Thank you for answering Yourself, however there is major major conflict with the PD's office, they wont be representing him ever again, so they sent us to Conflict resolution, Yea not happening, I could go into various things, but don't want to get into much detail across the board, anyway to make a long story short, there are pro-bono attorneys that do criminal, but the catch 22 is YOU HAVE TO BE IN THEIR AREA for them to take the case... ie, county, city, etc;

The issue I am having is NO ONE where we are takes these cases, this is just in my local neck of the woods, but other counties, ya like previously mentioned IF you live in their area, which we don't....So any other possible ideas? I am open to just about anything, getting closer to selling my soul! Thank you in advance.

You are not going to find an attorney to take on trial level work pro bono. The PD exists to help the indigent at the trial level on criminal charges. Even court appointed attorneys get paid something at the trial level on criminal charges.

Barring something of significance to take this outside the realm of the run of the mill, there's no way an attorney will take this for no money, no return. We have to eat, too.

(factors that take something outside the run of the mill: something significant about the defendant such that he makes headlines every time he sneezes, something about the crime that makes headlines, something about the victim that makes the case significant, something about the law that places the case within an area that's ripe for change. In other words, win, loses, or draw, the publicity of the case more than makes up for a lack of funds and a lawyer can count on a significant increase in business by taking the case pro bono.)

If I were your LO, I'd apply for a court appointed attorney and see how the PD does with stuff. I'd also stop trying to plead the facts of the case on an open bulletin board system like this. You a not going to get a free lawyer outside the PD/court appointed list, so start putting your energies elsewhere.

His1BabyGurl
10-09-2012, 06:00 PM
Thank you for answering Yourself, however there is major major conflict with the PD's office, they wont be representing him ever again, so they sent us to Conflict resolution, Yea not happening, I could go into various things, but don't want to get into much detail across the board, anyway to make a long story short, there are pro-bono attorneys that do criminal, but the catch 22 is YOU HAVE TO BE IN THEIR AREA for them to take the case... ie, county, city, etc;

The issue I am having is NO ONE where we are takes these cases, this is just in my local neck of the woods, but other counties, ya like previously mentioned IF you live in their area, which we don't....So any other possible ideas? I am open to just about anything, getting closer to selling my soul! Thank you in advance.

Also not sure if this posted, but adding yes there are MANY MANY MANY significant things about this particular case. Also I am not pleading the case...Where do you base this? I know the facts of what has happened, and that was all I was stating...I asked for help not someone to come on an Open forum for throwing around accusations....Isn't life hard enough? As I am sure you can have an opinion without being blatantly rude about it, also it would be nice to have people do their homework in regards to NO pro-bono taking these cases? As I have found several if they were closer.

yourself
10-10-2012, 02:24 PM

The reason there's a Court Appointed list is because of conflicts of interest with the PD. Anytime there are 2 or more co-defendants with disparate defenses (e.g. they are blaming each other), the PD is appointed to one and somebody from the Court Appointed List is appointed to the other. Those on the Court Appointed List are paid by the State through the State PD office, though at a reduced rate compared with a private pay client.

Yes, rarely a private attorney off the Court Appointed List will take a criminal case at the trial level pro bono, as stated above. With enough publicity, an attorney convinced of getting a lot of press out of a representation (and therefor more private pay clients at a higher level) etc, such an attorney will fly across country to do the representation. Since you're saying nobody will come to your area to do this, your case just doesn't fit the bill as cost efficient for somebody to take on at a pro bono level, not when the Defendant will get a zealous representation from somebody on the Court Appointed List.

Does that clarify things a bit?

yourself
10-10-2012, 02:42 PM
Also not sure if this posted, but adding yes there are MANY MANY MANY significant things about this particular case. Also I am not pleading the case...Where do you base this? I know the facts of what has happened, and that was all I was stating...I asked for help not someone to come on an Open forum for throwing around accusations....Isn't life hard enough? As I am sure you can have an opinion without being blatantly rude about it, also it would be nice to have people do their homework in regards to NO pro-bono taking these cases? As I have found several if they were closer.

I can count on one finger the number of criminal cases that I've taken pro bono at the trial level. I lost track years ago of the number of cases I've taken as court appointed counsel. I could have stopped taking court appointeds years and years ago, but I haven't because of my dedication to this type of work.

What's significant about your case to you and your LO won't pay my bills unless there's a specific trade-off. Example - there's a reason the Unibomber's representation was pro bono, and it wasn't the complexity of the case (though it was a wonderfully complex case).

It is very easy for me to say, "I'm sorry, but I cannot take a pro bono case that far away" and have a LO accept that as an answer that can't be gotten around. It's much more efficient than saying, "I'm sorry, but you're case is not significant enough to my practice, my specialty, my advertisement for me to take it pro bono" Saying the truth, that your case is not significant enough from the attorney's perspective may be the truth, but it's asking for a fight as the LO tries to convince me that it really is worthy.

I am not throwing around accusations; I'm telling you what's what. Generally, if there's something that an attorney would find significant about the case, attorneys will be contacting you, requesting to take on the representation pro bono, and finding out just how much a layout that's going to involve (it's not just attorney's fees, it's experts, it's investigation, it's scientific analysis, etc. I've been lucky; 8 times I've been able to get various psychiatrists to DONATE their time to interview a client, prepare a report, and spend a couple days on the stand testifying). It's not just that my office isn't taking in funds for my work on that case, it's my office is also outlaying money or finding other sources to subsidize a defense. If your case is, "significant, significant, significant" then chances are, you're talking about a ton of money coming out of my pocket and the pockets of my employees to represent your LO when the State would otherwise be picking up the bill AND your LO getting zealous representation from the Court Appointed List.

I'm not passing judgement on your case; I'm telling you the facts of life from an attorney's perspective. My paralegal doesn't work for free even when I'm working pro bono. My secretary still gets paid even when I work pro bono. The utility company doesn't accept, "I'm working a case pro bono" in lieu of payment. My malpractice insurance still needs to be paid, my student loans still need to be paid, my license fee needs to be paid (next month, matter of fact). When you ask for pro bono representation, you're asking that I take that kind of a hit to my practice knowing full well that the Court Appointed attorney would have done a good to great job, received payment from the state, would have had access to investigators, experts, etc with the State paying those fees. And, the paralegal isn't shooting the attorney looks of death for working a case pro bono and possibly being late on a paycheck as a result.

Juni's Jeva
11-12-2012, 09:29 PM
Yourself, First, I appreciate all the info. you've posted. I have a question for you, how you would you recommend getting the publicity for one's case? Meaning, what comes first? Find the attorney? Try and get your situation published?

My Love's case concerns re-sentencing based on the most recent Supreme court cases. He is planning on submitting himself to get a court appointed lawyer but I think publicity is key. But I am not sure how to go about that.

Thanks.

The reason there's a Court Appointed list is because of conflicts of interest with the PD. Anytime there are 2 or more co-defendants with disparate defenses (e.g. they are blaming each other), the PD is appointed to one and somebody from the Court Appointed List is appointed to the other. Those on the Court Appointed List are paid by the State through the State PD office, though at a reduced rate compared with a private pay client.

Yes, rarely a private attorney off the Court Appointed List will take a criminal case at the trial level pro bono, as stated above. With enough publicity, an attorney convinced of getting a lot of press out of a representation (and therefor more private pay clients at a higher level) etc, such an attorney will fly across country to do the representation. Since you're saying nobody will come to your area to do this, your case just doesn't fit the bill as cost efficient for somebody to take on at a pro bono level, not when the Defendant will get a zealous representation from somebody on the Court Appointed List.

Does that clarify things a bit?

krc1abc1
11-12-2012, 10:39 PM
I am looking for an attorney to at least examine my husbands case and let us know if anything can be done. A little history here. My husband has been incarcerated since 1978, and in his 35th year on a 7 to life sentence. He has been before the parole board 21 times and has never been found suitable. In 1984, the Los Angeles County District Attorney stated they had no objection to him being paroled. Any way he was sentenced at the time when California was going from indeterminate sentencing to determinate sentencing. He was not legally an indeterminate inmate. He should have received his sentence under SB 42 and the amendment to that AB 476. It appears that although his crime was committed in July of 1978 he has been held to the terms of the new determinant sentencing law and has served as if he is on a 25 to life sentence. He has never been afforded an ISL -DSL hearing either. From my own research it appears that there is a group of lifers in California who committed their crime between July 1, 1977 and November 7, 1978 who in the eyes of the state of California do not exist. According to Title 15 there is no mention of a 7 to life sentence for murder and as such there is currently no parole matrix for these inmates. Please if anyone knows of an attorney who would be willing to examine this with us it would be much appreciated. 35 years is a long time to be down for the crime he committed and many have served less time and committed more heinous crimes. In a nut shell he and a few friends decided to rob a drug dealer. The drug dealer began shooting at them. One of the accomplices fired back killing the drug dealer. Anyway of course my husband was guilty because he was there and he has always excepted his guilt in the crime and taken responsibility. His prison record has been good and if not for the crime he would be a level one. Any help would be much appreciated

ms. pulga
11-20-2012, 09:18 AM
[QUOTE="ms. pulga"]Please I live in Miami, Fl and I helped and inmate that was transferred through interstate compact to florida in 1993. He was actually left behind when they send all the interstate inmates back to Idaho. So in 2009 I requested he be sent back so he can see his dying mother. Unfortunately he didn't make it on time . Now he needs help and needs a pro bono attorney b/c the person who committed the crime has confessed and is willing to come foward. he has been in for 26 yrs and is innocent. please help!!!!!QUOTE]

patchouli
11-20-2012, 09:47 AM
I've merged your thread with the Pro Bono Attorneys thread in the Prison Legal Help! forum.

One other thing you might try is an Innocence Project. Good luck to you both!

daen4angels
11-23-2012, 02:03 PM
Does anyone have any ideas or advice on the best way to handle/resolve my fiance being held in Ad Seg on an error and not being re-assessed and released back to G.P.? He was sent to Ad Seg on 7/18/12. The copy of the report I have from the Investigative Services Unit states:

Report Dated: 7/18/12
Report Received: 8/23/12
Date copy of report was given to my fiance: 10/7/12

The report says no referral to the District Attorney will be made since:
*There was no significant injury.
*Does not meet criteria of agreement with District Attorney.
*Other: Will be issued a CDCR 115 for participation in a riot.
*Any pending disciplinary action should be completed at this time and a closure report completed and forwarded to the Associate Warden-Housing for distribution.

The printed report is dated 9/17/12.

Plus, he is not receiving appropriate medical care/attention while in Ad Seg for his high blood pressure and diabetes!

Please help!!

Thanks

fbopnomore
11-23-2012, 02:57 PM
It seems to me that the report says two things. First, he will not catch a new free world prosecution since the prison decided not to refer the case to the DA.

Secondly, and the reason he is still in AD SEG is that he received a 115 shot for participating in a riot. Knowing only a little about CDOC's inmate punishment system, he will be returned to GP when they decide to release him, which might even be at the end of his sentence.

I doubt that a pro bono lawyer could help him at this stage of his case. Before he will be allowed to file anything in either state or federal court, he first must exhaust all administrative remedies available from the prison. He needs to file an initial appeal, and then another appeal of each one of the denials he will definitely receive. Once he has filed, and been denied every level of appeal, then it's time for a lawyer.

daen4angels
11-23-2012, 03:15 PM
It seems to me that the report says two things. First, he will not catch a new free world prosecution since the prison decided not to refer the case to the DA.

Secondly, and the reason he is still in AD SEG is that he received a 115 shot for participating in a riot. Knowing only a little about CDOC's inmate punishment system, he will be returned to GP when they decide to release him, which might even be at the end of his sentence.

I doubt that a pro bono lawyer could help him at this stage of his case. Before he will be allowed to file anything in either state or federal court, he first must exhaust all administrative remedies available from the prison. He needs to file an initial appeal, and then another appeal of each one of the denials he will definitely receive. Once he has filed, and been denied every level of appeal, then it's time for a lawyer.

Thank you for your insight. I appreciate the help.

MrsTanner
03-09-2013, 06:41 PM
my husband has been convicted as a habitual criminal using the 3 strikes system...... but i believe that to be convicted that way his crimes have to be within a 10 year period... and one of his convictions was out of that time frame. He has gone through the appellate process, which was a sham. So we really need some help, giving a sentence of 47 years for credit card theft is wrong.

Any help is appreciated... :)

kandycar2
03-18-2013, 10:00 AM
Hello... Anyone have any info on probono help in NC? If so, I would GREATLY appreciate it! Thanks!!!! :)

kandycar2
03-18-2013, 10:39 AM
If anyone can help me with info or if anyone is willing to perform pro bono or services at low fee/payment plan, please send me a private message! Thanks My fiance is approaching his H. Corpus stage and we are in search of a lawyer in NC.

nimuay
03-18-2013, 10:51 AM
Please understand that you need to go to law schools or large firms or legal clinics to get pro bono representation. Lawyers don't advertise, and don't do a whole lot of it - would YOU give 10% of your work up for free? It is encouraged that lawyers do so, and you may be able to find them most easily in the places I listed above.

thumpers22
03-31-2013, 02:43 PM
My son was walking with a guy on the way to the store and the guy he was with pulled a gun on another guy that was walking the opposite direction all over a baseball cap. My son didn't even know he had a gun on him. My son was charged with armed robbery also. If you could help me get started with this I would be forever grateful. I don't know what to to. I am going to contact an office in Springfield Il for a pro bono lawyer. Thank you.
The word pro bono does not have to appear before anyone's name. Many attorney's will seriously consider a strong wrongful conviction case, if you can get the information to them. Get the information to them either e-mail, if you know it goes directly to the attorney, or thru the postal service, I suggest. For large organizations or anyone you know gets a large volume of e-mail, I would go postal, because e-mails will get piled up.

I have got our info to a couple of the top attorneys, in the country, already. One went e-mail directly to the attorney, the other was carried by a .37 cent stamp. I still like, the written word and it is working for me, so far. I am presently going crazy waiting, for our attorney of record to contact one of these attorneys, in regards to the possible use of DNA testing, in our case.

I would not make phone calls in regards to an innocence case. You may loose the chance, to say only one simple thing. But, that may be the one thing that would convince the person, who you are talking to that your case is an act of injutice. A busy attorney can get rid of you, too easily on the phone. They are more likely to read your letter when they are not so pressed, for time.

I recommend that you know your case as well as you can. I still have alot to learn, but I can speak of missing witnesses, screwed up evidence, etc., well enough to get attention and then refer, whoever I am speaking to, to our attorney of record, at the Representation Project and let her speak legal language. I realize most do not have that luxury, so get organized. There are places on-line that will clue you into what questions can be asked and those that should be anaswered. You can learn what old evidence to re-examine and what new evidence to look for. Far more than DNA can get a case overturned. Learn the game.

When you write you do not have to sound like an attorney, but make certain you include all relevant information and speak clearly. Try to explain the things that show best that there has been a wrongful conviction and/or miscarriage of justice. If your not a strong writer, get the help of a friend. Anyone, who can write a good essay can explain it well enough, it will be read and understood.

There are legal professionals out there, who will commit themselves to maybe one pro bono case in a lifetime. The only reason may be that it hit homes with them, for a personal reason. You do not know, if yours is that one case, unless you ask.

So, try everyone, who is qualified, but research thier work and make certain they are qualified. Whoever you choose or who chooses you, in the end, never let go of the ball, for a single minute. Your life hangs in the balance, not thiers. So, stay on top of things. Even the best attorneys are not foul proof.

You are going to need to waste alot of stamps trust me. I should get frequent flier miles, thru the post office. I like using the mail, though. I know the letter will almost certainly hit the desk, in front of the person it is adressed to. I save the phone calls, for after we have our second attorney and I, only need a question answered. There is too much to say on the phone, right now. And we have the shortest death penalty trial, in U.S. history. You guys certainly have too much to say, for a 10 minute call, to cover it.

The mail will be slower."Hurry up and wait." I laughed when Eldon, first said that to me. I say it continually to myself, now. A wait of 3 weeks, for a reply, is not unusual. Do not get discouraged. These guys are busy. And Do Not Give Up! I have been rejected by one attorney, at a large firm, but when I contacted another there, I was amazed at the possibilities.

Something that I just learned is, do not risk rejection, when you have awhile, before services are absolutely required. Be sure to tell whoever you speak to, if they have months before you would need them. An attorney may reject you for lack of time, now. But, if they know they have 6 months or a year, may be able to consider your case, to take on at a later date.

I research newspaper articles looking for the guys that take the cases of the wrongfully convicted, more than I do anything else. We are looking for the guys that defend justice and believe in humanity. This will not be menioned in a phone book, but it often is featured in the papers. Look anywhere a lawyer may be allowed to come from and practice in your area. As far as I know, a lawyer can request to take a case anywhere, if they believe in it enough.

And beware of pro bono lawyers,who are forced to accept the work. Make sure the person believes, in the service they are donating and are not unhappily forced into it, by thier firm or the system. A pro bono attorney that resents the job and does not care about the client, could be a disaster.

If you have a capital case, you are likely looking for a firm, with mega bucks to back you up. You will need a firm that can afford things like innocence phase investigators, testing and other mitigation experts. Hit all the big ones. If you have appeals in process, along with your letter, I would suggest you mail a copy ,of the appeals, all thousand pages, if that is what it is.

That second attorney that I wrote is to get a letter, from our attorney of record and a full copy of our appeals, soon. I have not gave up on his helping us. I did not realize I needed to say, we may have 2 years, before he would need to be really devoted, to our case. He said he does not have the time, now.

Never Say Never! And Never Take No For an Answer! These are my mottos. There will be many ups and downs, in searching for help. Most likely, many more rejections than possibilities.

I made up my mind that, If It Feels Right, Do It! Even the places that say they can not help may be able to offer a referral. I pester all. I do not discriminate. The worst that I will do is make them waste a sheet of paper and a stamp to tell me, they can not take on our case. If we loose our battle, I will say I tried it all and be honest, when I do. I have to, because my husband faces execution, for a crime he did not commit.

Giving Up is Not an Option! I warn all, there are moments that I am so angry that I could scream. I live on SSI and I am up against the wealth of the state. I made the comparison to my husband, that this is like fighting a dragon, armed with only a butter knife. But, I told him that I do know even if you are bloody, at the end of the battle, if you can stay on your feet and keep poking at the beast. It may take awhile, but sooner or later you will hit a weak spot.

We are fighting a beast, find your faith and hold on for dear life. Depend on the hard head that your spouse or child accuses you of having to get you thru, because you will have to be determined. You will need it, before you get thru the system. I hope the things that I am learning will help some of you, truly.

If you are just starting, in Arizona, on a capital case contact me, if you want. I have alot of addresses, for the area. I am really interested in other wrongful convictions out of Phoenix, as well. I will try to help anyone that feels overwhelmed, if I can.

God bless you all and give you strength...........

DaveMoff
03-31-2013, 02:48 PM
Most bar associations encourage all law firms to do a "certain amount" of pro bono work (the amount is never specified). Though they cannot require it, it is "strongly encouraged".

It cant hurt to call every law firm you can think of. You'll hear a lot of refusals, but you might get lucky.

fbopnomore
03-31-2013, 03:14 PM
I hope you succeed in your search. Your son will definitely be appointed counsel if he is unable to afford to pay for his defense.

DaveMoff
03-31-2013, 03:24 PM
Please, do be cautious if he ends up with a public defender. There are other threads on that subject where a number of people have described their experiences and will be happy to answer questions.

yourself
03-31-2013, 03:51 PM
Most bar associations encourage all law firms to do a "certain amount" of pro bono work (the amount is never specified). Though they cannot require it, it is "strongly encouraged".

It cant hurt to call every law firm you can think of. You'll hear a lot of refusals, but you might get lucky.

Some actually do have a requirement for hours that can be bypassed if you're a government lawyer (PD, State's Attorney). IL has a pro bono reporting requirement for each year of bar membership.

That said, criminal cases are low on the totem pole since those who do not have funds for an attorney are eligible for the PD, and on their direct appeal for the State Appellate Attorney. By the time the Direct Appeal is settled, most class 3 and 4 felons are out, many class 2s are out, and only the most extreme charges (class 1, class X, etc) are inside (we're talking Illinois). Those cases tend to be complex and handling appeals at that level consumes a lot of time and resources. Very few solos and small private firms can handle such representations for free.

There are a lot of areas of law that call for pro bono representation, and you are competing with those areas - family law, terminations of parental rights, domestic violence cases, guardianships/conservatorships, just to name a few.

At the trial level, Illinois has the PDs for criminal cases, and the heavily underfunded Prairie State Legal Services, and Land of Lincoln Legal Services to aid in civil cases.

If you want pro bono attention at the trial level, you need to have a case that will draw in a private attorney - something with lots of publicity or something with issues that specifically attract a specific attorney. Very few attorneys will do a criminal trial for no money when there's a perfectly good PD system available (at least in IA and IL the PD system is pretty darned good, especially IL in Cook County).

Further, unless you know the track record of the private attorney, and do your due diligence, you may be getting a less experienced attorney than you would if you used the PD. Many PDs are dedicated idealists committed to rendering zealous representation in a system heavily stacked against them. That system stays just as stacked in the unlikely event you are actually able to lure an attorney into donating his/her services.

DaveMoff
03-31-2013, 04:03 PM
An excellent point. A firm may do a lot of pro bono work without ever touching a criminal case. During my father's 23 years of practice, he did his share as expected. But he rarely handled criminal cases after two years or so of taking on court-appointed work to pay the rent. So....if he had taken on a criminal case on a pro bono basis, the client would not have been getting a top-notch criminal attorney. As I recall, most of the pro bono work he did was family law and related matters. He also did a certain amount of work at a reduced rate for clients who could not otherwise afford it. He called that "low bono"--no idea if that's anything like an official term though I have heard others use it.

I suppose if you can pay anything at all, that might get you in the door with someone, too.

There are good public defenders, no question about that. As with any other profession it depends on the professional, and the individual situation as well. In my home state a public defender is allowed one hour of paid research per case, and in my locality it is common for a public defender to parade two dozen or more clients in front of a judge each day. No matter how well-intentioned or diligent the attorney might be, the situation makes proper attention to any single case virtually impossible.

yourself
03-31-2013, 06:36 PM
low bono is not an official term. In rural areas if Illinois and Iowa, it is common for attorneys to take a case for little or nothing. That little can be anything from a reduced rate to a trade of services. But, again, without a damned good reason, nobody's going to take a trial level criminal case. If appointed, we get paid, and in rural areas, almost anybody who handles criminal cases takes appointments, not just private pay clients.

Like I said, there has to be a really good reason for an attorney to take a criminal case at the trial or direct appeal level pro bono. For every hour that we work on a pro bono case, we're not getting paid when we could be getting paid. For every hour of pro bono we allow ourselves, we need to place it where it will do the most good - that's usually where there's no counsel available at all without the pro bono work. Think of it this way: if you want us to work on your criminal case for free, you're saying that your case is more important than whatever we usually donate our time to doing. I gave the partial list above. The IL State Bar has pushed pro bono programs for helping returning soldiers, and for making sure the estates and other matters of soldiers being deployed are taken care of in the case it's needed. The IL judiciary has pushed an initiative dealing with children's issues, especially at the appellate level. So, your criminal case must be more important than helping a returning soldier get disability or deal with veteran's issues, or that it's more important than settling where a child is going to spend his/her childhood, and in what conditions. Me? I donate time to immigration outreach and to domestic violence. If a person were to try to convince me to do pro bono at trial level or direct appeal, the issues would have to be more important than helping a person in an abusive relationship, or coordinating child support for an illegal in a way that all the person's children are supported, but INS and ICE aren't triggered.

In other words, the poster should be aware that s/he's going to experience A LOT of rejection.

endure8
04-25-2013, 02:22 PM
I'm hoping your sure these are real attorneys. I've already had experience with being scammed, also por bono is that free or small fee?? thanks

ttpd
05-25-2013, 08:50 AM
I am new to this site so please forgive me I have posted this in the wrong place. I live in Mayfield, KY and am needing to find out if it is possible to get an attorney Pro Bono and if so how do I go about doing it. Any help would be appreciated. I have used public defenders in the past and have found them to be sorely lacking. However, I am not able to afford an attorney (I'm on SSI).

yourself
05-25-2013, 09:38 AM
at trial level? You're not going to find one unless the case has legs of its own meaning that either it squarely hits on an issue that a particular attorney is interested in or has a ton of media coverage.

PDs are paid by the state. Court appointed attorneys are paid by the state. You want an attorney to put in all the time required by a criminal case, possibly up through to a jury verdict for free. It's not going to happen.

bedancer
05-30-2013, 03:14 PM
Wonder if any of these groups handle Military confinement cases?

Amanda Cortez
07-30-2013, 08:50 AM
I need a prisoner rights civil attorney ASAP!!! Anyone know of a pro bono civil attorney preferably in the California- Fresno County?!?!?

marie8899
07-30-2013, 11:53 AM
The Prison Law Office is a possible resource. They are handling major prisoner civil rights cases in California at present.

http://www.prisonlaw.com

celamar56
07-31-2013, 10:55 AM
I need a prisoner rights civil attorney ASAP!!! Anyone know of a pro bono civil attorney preferably in the California- Fresno County?!?!?

http://www.probono.net/oppsguide/organization.75892-Central_California_Legal_Services

erikaashley27
08-03-2013, 03:12 PM
I am looking for a probono lawyer or private investigator my close friend is in prison in California he was given 30 years for a carJacking he didn't personally commit he has been in prison for 6 years this year. it was his first arrest as an adult he was only 18 years old he didn't commit the crime he refused to tell on those who did and. now his life is passing by in priso.please help to get him an appeal

Audio51
09-16-2013, 07:57 PM
I am looking for someone to help my son persue legal action against the prison staff at CIM-Chino CA. He has been denied proper Medical care there and his life was put in danger. I have tried to contact the "Prison Law Office" but thier website has been down for weeks. Does anyone know of any other attorneys that handle this type of case either on a pro bone or contingency basis?

nimuay
09-16-2013, 08:17 PM
If you're going for damages in a civil suit, an attorney will take it on a contingency basis, except that the odds of winning are incredibly low.

KristyMikesLuv
12-02-2013, 11:16 PM
I'm in Cali,and my boyfriend is in KY,Big Sandy.I'm trying to find a pro bono to look at his case. I'm so worried about who to trust since I'm so far away from him. He's doing ten yrs Fed time,but was on parole when he got the robbery charge,so he has a yr state time. How can I get them ran concurrent?? Anyone know?

Believeinchange
01-20-2014, 02:11 PM
We are looking for a Pro Bono for a Writ of Habeus Corpus in California. We had an attorney {$$$$$$} research and gather ALL the information needed for the Writ and we have a VERY, VERY strong case. {Brady claim, IAC and due process violations, as well as ethical misconduct on prosecution}

However, the attorney who did the investigation sucked up all our funds. We need an attorney to write the WRIT and get us back in court. Can anyone ~ please ~ direct me to someone who might be of help?

yourself
01-20-2014, 06:27 PM
We are looking for a Pro Bono for a Writ of Habeus Corpus in California. We had an attorney {$$$$$$} research and gather ALL the information needed for the Writ and we have a VERY, VERY strong case. {Brady claim, IAC and due process violations, as well as ethical misconduct on prosecution}

However, the attorney who did the investigation sucked up all our funds. We need an attorney to write the WRIT and get us back in court. Can anyone ~ please ~ direct me to someone who might be of help?

Hate to say it, but no attorney in his right mind is going to take somebody else's work and write a brief. Any attorney is going to take all that information and do their own investigation and research and may come to different conclusions.

mssirois2u
02-07-2014, 09:43 AM
OKLAHOMA LEGAL SERVICES CENTER, number no longer works ?

Realree
02-23-2014, 12:14 AM
I am inquiry about a Pro Bono assistance for my boyfriend who is trying to get a divorce in NYS and about Federal BOP Compassionate Release Program.

joebanks
02-25-2014, 12:43 PM
I also attempted to call the number listed for Oklahoma Legal Aid Services. I Googled the name and found a new number listed on their website. They are now called Legal Aid Services of Oklahoma. The person who answered the phone at 1-888-534-5243 told me they do not represent any criminal cases or any person who is incarcerated.

senior dad
04-10-2014, 06:16 AM
Sure it's good info, but they do not handle criminal cases !!!!

KIMEE
05-23-2014, 06:07 PM
Im looking for someone to help US, Case was caught in TN, but serving in big sandy KY has 14 years down, has 8 left on a drug charge. Any helpful information would be appreciated!