View Full Version : Change of 85% Minimum Time Served? Rumor or fact?

logicalnonsense
04-22-2005, 02:22 PM
Hello,

Has anyone heard of a possible return to the 50% time served minimum, from the current 85%? Heard it a couple times myself, but I imagine it is nothing more than a rumor.

kreepsgirl
04-22-2005, 02:27 PM
I believe its still a rumor. When and if it becomes offical I am sure it will be posted on PTO! I cant wait for this to happen, even 65% would be cool.

RPinSD
04-22-2005, 02:57 PM
Hello,

Has anyone heard of a possible return to the 50% time served minimum, from the current 85%? Heard it a couple times myself, but I imagine it is nothing more than a rumor.Actually 50%, 85% and 80% are all available.... It all depends on what and how you got sentenced. Now anything that says you got 85% and are getting it reduced to 50% is rumor...rumor...rumor!

Becmarie and I are working to explain the 50%-85%-80% and Camp 35% rules in the CA CDC handbook thread.

tinyslady46988
04-29-2005, 03:17 AM
HELP !!! My Husband is now at Firecamp , with time cut for being there if he was to be out 2/2006 . Shouldnt he be home real soon? If time gets droped to 65% from 80%?? I have asked him he wont tell me because He wants to show up at the door for the Best kind of home coming!!!! If you know what I 'm saying?? Any Help I would be so greatful THANKS

Mrs.L
04-29-2005, 01:11 PM
HELP !!! My Husband is now at Firecamp , with time cut for being there if he was to be out 2/2006 . Shouldnt he be home real soon? If time gets droped to 65% from 80%?? I have asked him he wont tell me because He wants to show up at the door for the Best kind of home coming!!!! If you know what I 'm saying?? Any Help I would be so greatful THANKS

If your husband was sentenced to 80% he will not be "surprising you" before his original release date. When you go to fire camp your time is reduced from 50% to 35% and ONLY IF you were sentenced to half time in the first place. If you were sentenced to 80% or 85% you still do that time EVEN in a fire camp setting. And just my :twocents: I would not appreciate that kind of home coming.

latin_angel
06-05-2005, 04:49 AM
hello all. i'm latin_angel from cali & this is my first time posting. i joined this to mingle w/ people in similar situations & utilize this as a way of getting info too. my fiance is incarcerated (in cali) & he has told me that he's heard as of july 1st there is supposed to be a cdc time reduction put into place *in cali* (i.e. 85% goes to 65%, 80% = 60%, etc, etc). he said that he thought it was a rumor too but he's met a few guys that have actually got their time reduced. this is all due to the overcrowded prisons. there is stipulations such as they cannot be convicted for violent crimes. he wanted me to get more info for him & i tried looking on the internet but it's like trying to find a needle in a haystack. i asked him to try to get more info for me from the guys that have rcvd the credit time. he sent a msg to his counselor but no response. his lawyer is telling him to find the info & let him know. does anyone have anymore info to help me out?? any help would be most appreciated. :) nice to meet you all btw... ;)

Carleyc21
06-05-2005, 08:19 AM
My guy is in Tennessee and heard that too. I hope someone has some good news for us. He was sentenced on Friday to 88 months.

Bec Marie
06-05-2005, 08:58 AM
Searching for time reductions is what brought me to PTO. Believe me every time I sign on and page through the California forum I'm hoping to see something other than rumors. Unfortunately, it will take a change in Legislation before there is any time reduction changes and there is nothing like that in the works.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but it's a rumor.

By the way Latin Angel Welcome to PTO!!! :wave:

funnyface09
06-05-2005, 05:59 PM
No, it is not a rumor. My husband is a 2nd striker sentenced to 85% of 3 years. He has been reduced to 63% time and would be home after 24 1/2 months. Now, he is already signing his parole papers and should be released soon. Others in his yard are also getting reductions. One man was to be released in Feb 06. He was just given an Aug 05 release date. This has been happening to a few of the guys there, so it is not a rumor, it is fact, but I don't have any info on it on who, what where, so You will just have to wait and see. I think it is coming from BPT and CDC though.

swabysgirl
06-06-2005, 12:28 AM
heads up on the rumor! i am also from cali and my husband is also in camp, but he actually physically read in the "orange county register" last week, that arnold was gonna have to do something about the over crowded prisons in cali and that they were trying to push for early release for non violent offenders. i guess too many of us are hearing the same and not believing, well don't trip, just have faith and thank the big guy upstairs if it does happen.

latin_angel
06-06-2005, 02:47 AM
trust me, i think we all have to have faith in the situation that we're in. & i am thankful but i don't want to get my hopes up too soon. my fiance isn't in camp. it's a regular state institution & it's not "official" on his release date yet but he says that he knows of guys that are seriously getting 35% off of their time. if this is granted it will leave him w/ about 2yrs or a lil more so i'm really praying for this. the only thing is that he has state & federal time running concurrent & his lawyer sd for him to find out for sure so he can make sure that his fed time is chgd also. but i still don't know where to look for this. ???? any ideas??

congrats to sherriec09 on the new parole date. :) ...how exciting!

Mrs.L
06-06-2005, 04:32 PM
heads up on the rumor! i am also from cali and my husband is also in camp, but he actually physically read in the "orange county register" last week, that arnold was gonna have to do something about the over crowded prisons in cali and that they were trying to push for early release for non violent offenders. i guess too many of us are hearing the same and not believing, well don't trip, just have faith and thank the big guy upstairs if it does happen.

Yes, Arnold is doing something about overcrowding..... Delano II is opening soon. Inmates are not being released "early" due to overcrowding, that MUST be done through the legislature. And if some one is sentenced to 80% or 85% that is just what they do. No good time/work time credits. If some one is sentenced to 50% they are elligible for a credit reduction to 35% in a camp setting.

funnyface09
06-06-2005, 09:53 PM
Sorry Mrs. L, but my hubby was supposed to do 80% of 32 months and had a parole date of Mar 2007. (He also had 5 months added for PV) Not allowed 1/2 time credits because of his 2nd strike. then it was changed to March of 2006. Now it is at Dec 11, 2005. However, he was called in to sign parole papers last week, which means he could be home anytime between now and Dec 11, but more likely, by Aug 2005. (or sooner! Since they want to come and check out my home already!).
Maybe the prisons are releasing on their own. the warden can do that you know...

mamajazz
06-06-2005, 10:39 PM
I dont have a clue, but my son was sentanced to 3 years last friday 6-3-05. The funny thing was that the article came out in thursday 6-2-05 paper?? I dont know why we had to waste our tax $$ to go back for a formal sentancing?? The judge had his mind made up on may 6th when my son changed his plea. My son will be going to Delano soon. If there is such a thing being passed as the early release due to over crowding....I hope my son gets in on it. He is 18 now and has never been down this road before. Where he has been for the past month, it is set up for 15 inmates and there have been 26 to 30 at all times! Sleeping on the floor in the day room has been somewhat of an "overcrowding" issue.

rebekah
06-07-2005, 12:44 AM
okay, that would be GREAT and all, but theres a AB or SB or something like that, trying to make the 85% that "violent" crimes bring to 100% time .............. i'm sure that i printed it and have it somewhere around here, i'll see if i can find it.

latin_angel
06-07-2005, 12:49 AM
mamajazz, what's the name of that paper so i can look it up?? i have a feeling that this really is true & not just a rumor but it's up to the individuals to research into it & follow up on it. i'm determined to find it but as the saying goes, "there's strength in numbers."

chalina
06-13-2005, 02:35 AM
"Early Release" or "Mandatory Sentence Reduction" is not a rumor. The "AB" or "SB" that you are talking about are the Assembly & Senate Bills which are written up by CA congress before any penal codes or measures are passed or amended. Last year there were at least 2 versions of senate bills written up that would change violent crime offenders mandatory sentencing percentage from 85% to 65% & non-violent offenders from 50% to 35% in an effort to reduce overcrowding per the CDC. Only problem was that Good old Arnold Vetoed both bills because he is a moron. There is hope though...The last one that I saw from late last year was not completely killed, it was put into inactive status but had a note that it would be rewritten/re-submitted--However they dont ever say when. I already did an online search, using "keywords" because I dont know what they will be numbering the bill, but I dont see one for 2005 yet.....Heres the inside info....The CDC was pretty upset at Arnold getting in the way of their proposed bill to get rid of inmates that they dont have room for or staff to handle. Somebody that I know who is a correctional officer at Ironwood said that in California, the CDC is kind of a self-governed organization, meaning that when they want to, they do what they want regardless of whether or not it is part of CA legislation. Although they will not admit to it or speak about it if you contact them for info, they have begun to change various inmates %%% since about Jan 2005. Its not just new inmates either. Ive even heard about some that have already done like 8 yrs on a 20 yr sentence & getting changed from 85% to 65%. My man hasnt been that lucky yet but hes only been at Wasco for a few months now...so I have my fingers crossed for him & everybody else's loved ones. ;-) Believe me, once I finally find that bill for sure & get a copy of it, I'll let everyone know....Until then.... Also about that change in %%%'s to 100% that someone mentioned...that I know of, the only people that this should be concerning are the violent "sexual" offenders/sexual predators, not regular violent offenders or "gang" violent offenders which is the category that my man is & unfortunately what seems to be most of our men are. In CA (finally) theres a ton of pending legislation right now to keep rapists, molesters, etc in prison as long as possible & to make their release/supervised paroles a lot more controlled because of all of the crimes against children that have happened. So that won't affect the mandatory sentencing/early release changes that I & most people are concerned about.

latin_angel
06-26-2005, 11:30 PM
thanks for this info chalina. so it sounds like there's hope.... but how does my man go about finding out how to get this reduced time applied to him?? who does he ask?? or who do i need to talk to, etc??

babypokie
06-27-2005, 12:50 AM
Can Some One Please Fine Out The Truly And Post It Here So We That Have Love Ones Doing 85% Of Time Can Know If They Are Getting It Cut My Son Has To Do 85% Of Is Time That Means He Will Be Out In 2016 And I Dont Like That I Got Set Up To Make Him Take A Plea Bargin By The Judge And Lawyer And D.a Good Set Put Alot Of Fear In Me For Frist Time Robber. They Were Looking To Give Him 25yr They Told Me That They Would Give Him 10yr But Went All Came Down The Judge Change Is Mine And Told Him He Was Giving Him 20yr With 4yr Time Sever In Country Jail Now That Suck. He Been In For 7yr Now He Needs 9yr More To Go. Just Pray For All Of Us To Get This Half Time Cut For Are Love One Family I Will Be Pray For All Of Use

Leah67
06-28-2005, 05:37 AM
The time thing here in California confuses the heck out of me.
I am praying it has been reduced, but heck I haven't even figured out what time my husband was sentenced to. I believe it was $85 percent, but alot of people have been telling him that CDC is doing what they want when they want so my fingers are crossed while we wait on the appeals process. I just want him HOME

donsmom
06-29-2005, 04:32 PM
how are people getting picked to have their times shorten? has any one at csaft had this yet?

lovespell
06-29-2005, 04:52 PM
This is just a rumor! Really it is! Some people were getting released that didn't have any strikes in C.S.A.T.F, but nobody knows the real deal on that, and nobody will tell anyone for if the media finds out, people will freak if they think prisoners are getting released early. I am not sure how all this works, but in the end it really is only a rumor.

DSHCOL
07-06-2005, 01:12 AM
Does anyone know about the detention centers? My husband is at West Valley Detention Center and he is hearing of early release also.