View Full Version : I Need Some Help From All U New Yorkers

Pinky99
04-13-2005, 08:54 PM
Hello everyone, I'm here in California. I will be going to NY on vacation in August and I need your help. My family specifically wants to go to NY to see the Statue of Liberty.

Am I correct in saying that we should fly into JFK airport?

What hotels are nice near the airport & near where the Statue of Liberty is?

What else can you recommend for us to do in NY?

I'm so excited....can't wait!!! Any help is appreciated....thanks! :thumbsup:

jeffsprincess
04-13-2005, 09:14 PM
First of all, you are going to love NYC! Girl, you will not run out of things to do. You can either fly into JFK or Laguardia, either or. There are nice hotels near the airport, Marriot/Raddison, etc. or you could stay at a hotel in Manhattan, although it will probably be more expensive.

You should check out cheap hotels.com or one of those sights. I know some have a virtual tour and you can save on airfare and hotel when booked together.

You have to go to Times Square, and if you have time you should try to catch a broadway or off broadway show. If you go during the day you can get great rates on tickets. There are fabulous places to eat. There are a whole strip of little bistros and bars on 9th ave. in the 40's! And of course, the shopping!

There is so much to do, any time day or night! They also have special tours, by bus, I really dont know too much about those though. Do a google search about vacations in NYC and you should be able to get tons of info. I think its called I love New York or something like that! Good luck and have a great trip!

Manzanita
04-14-2005, 05:47 AM
laguardia, newark, or jfk are the 3 main airports. But do not stay in a hotel near the airports - they are not near anything and may not be nice, also, realize NYC hotels are very expensive!! but it also depends when you are going and how far in advance you book it.

YOu can take a train or bus to the Statue of Liberty, thousands do everyday! ;)

try www.expedia.com ot www.hotels.com

Times Square, the Village, The Circle Line, tons of museums, broadway plays, restaurants!

I will add more to this when I get home from work...I will send you some stuff ;)

PowandVonne
04-14-2005, 06:20 AM
Flying into LaGuardia tends to be the cheaper out of the 3 airports, so keep that in mind as well. Have fun!! ;)

Maggiebklyn24
04-14-2005, 06:28 AM
yOU CAN NOT GET TO THE STATUE OF LIBERTY BY BUS OR TRAIN. YOU WOULD HAVE TO TAKE THE FERRY ACROSS THE HUDSON TO GET THEIR. IF YOU ARE GOING TO STAY IN MIDTOWN.. THEN YES THE 1 TRAIN WILL TAKE YOU TO SOUTH FERRY WHERE YOU CAN CATCH THE BOAT TO THE STATUE OF LIBERTY.

i WOULD PERFER FLYING INTO jfK IN QUEENS.. THEY ARE SHUTTLE BUSES THAT CAN TAKE YOU FROM THERE INTO THE CITY. PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION IS AVAILABLE 24/7.

i WOULD GO TO ROCKEFELLER CENTER, CENTRAL PARK, TIMES SQUARE, YOU WILL FIND PLENTY TO DO. BUT MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A SLICE OF PIZZA LET NYC SHOW YOU WHAT PIZZA REALLY IS.

34TH STREET AND 8TH AVE IS GREAT FOR SHOPPING TOO... MACY'S IS HUGE.. I MEAN REALLY HUGE.

YOU CAN GO TO 66TH AND COLUMBUS .. TO SEE WHERE THEY TAPE THE ABC SOAPS.. THE TODAY SHOW IS AT ROCKEFELLER CENTER.

JUST HAVE FUN....BOOK YOUR AIRLINE AND HOTEL IT MAY BE CHEAPER..

quietstorm
04-14-2005, 06:59 PM
Hotels near the airport are Courtyard by Marriott, Raddison, Hilton, etc... the hotels are nice but public transportation isn't good; there's only one bus (green line) that runs over there & it doesn't run on time; bus stops running at midnight.... you will need to take the bus to the subway if you plan on doing anything adventurous; most people usually take cab from the subway to the hotel but that can be costly....

starzzmom
04-14-2005, 08:27 PM
JFK is probably the furthest from the city and LGA the closest. But I actually believe going into Newark is the cheapest.
If you stay near Laguardia there are some nice hotels. Courtyard Marriott, Holiday Inn Crowne Plaza and The Sheraton (I think). There is some public transportation into the city from here but it's at least one bus to the trains or if you take a cab ( a bit expensive) you can be into manhattan in 15 minutes.
But in my opinion you really should stay in Manhattan for a real NY experience.
Don't forget to go to Central Park, (a horse and buggy ride around the park is nice) the Empire State building, Rockafeller Center, Little Italy, Chinatown, southstreet seaport, (what used to be) The twin towers, Circle Line Ferry, The Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island, The village, Soho, If you like baseball, try to get tickets for either The Yankees or the Mets. A Broadway play, maybe tickets for Saturday nite live or Regis and Kelly.
There is a ton of things to do and see in NY 24/7. One thing you will not be is bored!
There is tons of shopping and places to eat, and for nite life a million bars and clubs.
Definetly a slice of Pizza , a bagel & a hot dog and a pretzel from the street vendors.

Manzanita
04-15-2005, 05:38 AM
personally, I would never stay at any airport hotel, there is nothing around to see ...stay in the city where you can walk to sites to see. this is my personal choice when I travel. also, jfk and laguardia are the ones I have always used, laguardia is HUGE though, but anyway, the airport you go to matters least really, once you get it is what matters....:)

MiaBellaAngela
04-15-2005, 05:40 AM
Every time I fly in or out of LaGuardia my plane gets delayed or cancelled. That is one airport I avoid at all costs!

Manzanita
04-15-2005, 05:42 AM
let me know if you need any NY travel info and I can PM you ...I hope you get some information here on things to do in NY...there is so much to do here! so much to do! ;)

Pinky99
04-27-2005, 06:34 PM
But in my opinion you really should stay in Manhattan for a real NY experience.
Don't forget to go to Central Park, (a horse and buggy ride around the park is nice) the Empire State building, Rockafeller Center, Little Italy, Chinatown, southstreet seaport, (what used to be) The twin towers, Circle Line Ferry, The Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island, The village, Soho,

Okay everyone thanks for all the help.....is this hotel located near all these exciting places???? Also is this a nice hotel?

Hilton New York
1335 Avenue Of The Americas
New York NY 10019

thatwiz
04-28-2005, 07:30 AM
That hotel you mentioned is right in the middle of everything. It's a nice place to stay and you'll be near everything that you wanted to see

loving my baby
05-07-2005, 09:05 PM
I will be going to New York too in August. Thanks for all the info.

Zapatista
05-07-2005, 10:21 PM
Don't miss the natural history museum. It is awesome and so is the museum of modern art. All the museums are donation only - i paid like .50 each. I forget which ones are in or around central park but we had fun at the central park zoo too. have fun! Those museums often have special programs and live music too.