View Full Version : Parole hearing

Hitch's Girl
04-09-2005, 10:00 AM
My fiancee's parole hearing was Thursday. I spoke with him last night and he told me that all the other inmates were in and out of their hearing within a couple minutes. However, his hearing was a good 20 minutes, if not more. I asked if that was a negative thing or could it be taken as a positive factor. He has not caused any problems while he's been at his unit. The only couple of problems that have arose was a few issues that other inmates have started, thus the reason he requested AdSeg so that he could get it resovled. The only other problem he has is the medical condition. I, for on, cannot foresee any reason they would choose to deny his parole but he seems to think it didn't go well and that he may be stuck there for another few months. Until we get the results, on the 19th, there is nothing to do but wait, hope and pray. I know that anything and everything regarding his hearing is speculation but I wondered if anyone would know since they had such a lengthy (20 minutes in comparison to everyone else's few minutes) hearing, could that be a good thing or a negative factor? The next 10 days are definitely going to be anxiety filled for sure.
Thanks for all of your support and Godspeed.
peaches

juliwaits
04-10-2005, 06:01 AM
Gosh sweetie. I wish you would have been there. We definitely "knew" how it went, if you were there you might have seen things more objectively.
You're right, a long hearing is rare. They usually seem to have their minds made up. It depends... Did they spend the time TALKING TO him or LISTENING TO him? If they spent the time talking to him, it's not good. If they spent the time listening, that is good.
Parole hearings are horribly frustrating, waiting is worse. If this is his first parole hearing I'd prepare for the worst, especially considering he's been in adseg. But i think good advice is to always prepare for the worst and pray for the best.

Wish i could do more to help.

Hitch's Girl
04-10-2005, 02:02 PM
I wish I could have been there too but circumstances with prior charges i've had did not allow me to be present at his hearing and his mom couldn't be there either because she was going bypass surgery so he had no one :(
From what he told me they spent time asking him a lot of questions and listening to his responses so i'm hoping that may be positive, I don't know. One of the things he was questioned about was his high school diploma, which is insane. He has a high school diploma but is having to take GED classes. When he was at Tucker, I had the counselor at the local high school fax his diploma to that unit but then when he transferred to North Central here we go again. I will have the high school fax his diploma again tomorrow, for whatever good that will do. Does their paperwork not follow them from one unit to another? I get so frustrated with the system, i'm sure you can imagine.
The next 9 days are going to be excruciatingly painful and full of anticipation.
Yes, it was his first parole hearing but him being in AdSeg was nothing to do with any trouble he had caused. It was more of a safety issue for him. I don't see how they could hold that against him but then again, they can do anything they want. I've learned that all too well.
So for now, all we can do is hope and pray that things work out. Only time will tell. Thank you Julie for your input, any little bit helps.
peaches

juliwaits
04-10-2005, 04:42 PM
Peaches, that sounds pretty good! If they were asking about his diploma i'd assume they were looking for justification to make him stay. Be sure you can find that diploma!! They love to say you have to stay around for votech training, ged, therapy, etc. (In their defense, it helps recidivism - whatever that word is - rates, and that IS their concern, their responsibility.) If they asked questions, and weren't just putting him on the defensive, it sounds good.
Too bad no one could be there. Did y'all write letters?
I forgot it was Adseg for protective reasons - no worries there hon. I'm hopeful for you!

Hitch's Girl
04-10-2005, 05:34 PM
Julie, i'm just trying to be hopeful at this point. Of course, no one knows for sure but the parole board members. I'm hoping it is good. The diploma will be faxed tomorrow. I'm not delaying one moment and not allowing any possibilities for them to say he has to stay just because he doesn't have his diploma in hand. As for therapy and the like, he had attended anger management and parenting classes while back, trying to get custody of his son. I sent those certificates also. I'm doing what I can but i'm only one person and I can only do so much.
His former employer sent a letter but he told me it wasn't worth the ink they wasted. It stated that IF he should apply again and there was a position open, then he would be considered to be rehired. I told him that was better than nothing. I too sent a letter to the parole board, one page and to the point. Reasons he should be considered to be approved for parole.... trying to get custody of his son, was compliant with the court and Dept of Human Services. He went to therapy with his son. He maintained a job, moved up the ladder, didn't miss work, yada yada, yada. I'm sure you get the gist of what I wrote.
I'm not sure what recidivism is??? But i'm sure they may try to find some reason to keep him there. They also did ask him about his diabetic condition so i'm hoping they really weigh that in their decision. He has had so many problems with his health while he's been there, all due to being diabetic.
Since the stay in AdSeg was for protective reasons, they won't hold that against him, right?
I'm definitely going to be insane between now and the 19th!!!! Can time go any slower?
Thank you for your kind words and for your support. :D
peaches

juliwaits
04-10-2005, 08:40 PM
Peaches, i agree they probably don't read the letters, but they'll take into account that at least there are letters there. You've done all you can do, you've done a great job. Believe me, i've been there. My husband made parole but was stipulated a year long class and then they wouldn't let him in the class! I had fought and fought and fought and all my energy didn't make a difference, except to him, in that he knew i did all i could. And it means a lot to him.
This is going to be a hard wait. I pray you get a good decision. Know i've been on the other end of the phone line getting a bad decision, so i'm here for you no matter what!!
Recidivism means "the tendency to go back to criminal behaviour." The parole board just needs to feel that they did the best they could to release only people who won't re-offend. And their point is that that having better skills, education, therapy, etc. helps.
The next step, if he does make parole, is an approvable parole plan. Maybe you can focus on that, to make this time go by faster?!

Hitch's Girl
04-10-2005, 09:18 PM
Julie, who knows what they do. Sometimes I think that they just make a decision before the inmates ever even have a hearing but that's just my opinion. Thank you for saying i've done a great job. There are times where I feel i've not done enough though and especially if he gets denied parole. I cannot believe they stipulated a year long class for your husband, that is just insanity. But we know the justice system and how they can choose to do whatever they want. I do know how much our help means to our loved ones, believe me, I KNOW!
I'm trying to keep my mind occupied with other things but no matter what I do, the only thing that fills my mind is the 19th and what results we will get.
Thank you for the clarification on redicivism. I never heard that term before. Hopefully they will realize that he has done all he can do before he ever went to serve his time but once again, time will tell.
He has already submitted a parole plan, way before his parole hearing, so that means that IF he is approved he won't have to do that again, right? He sumbitted the parole plan not too long after he went in and according to the Sgt, he was told he did not need to submit another one after he transferred from Tucker to North Central. Oh, I do have a question. When do they start with the field check? After he gets approved for parole?
We are trying to stay one step ahead of the game and hopefully this will soon be over with. Expecting the worst but praying for the best.
peaches

juliwaits
04-11-2005, 05:31 AM
I'm assuming by field check you mean inspecting (in person) his intended place of residence? They'll start after he's granted parole, they'll do an initial screening by phone and then will come out. Hopefully they'll approve that plan. That's our next obstacle. Don't think of it being in the ADCs hands, think of it being in God's hands - will help you sleep better!
:grouphug:

Joeyboy
04-11-2005, 11:03 AM
Guess who's back..............Sorry, I've been really busy the last few days with Spring Break and all.I have a few comments on the subject for you Peaches. First off, you should quit worrying so much, it just makes it harder on you. You should also expect the worst, not because of the lengthy hearing, but because you are dealing with the A.D.C. Always expect the worst when dealing with those people. My hearing was almost 30 minutes, when most others were short. They had alot of questions regarding my charge....Why did you have a field of marijuana, If you were released today, and couldn't find work, would you sell drugs again? Did you graduate highschool? Have you taken S.A.T.P. ( a 90 day class) Etc.,Etc..... They were gonna try to make me stay longer to do the S.A.T.P. As your husband told you, it does not look good if you have a long hearing, but every hearing is different. Hell one of the officers at mine excused herself to take a phone call, you think that didn't make me worry? The only thing I see that they could possibly do if all he has is that one charge, is Votech. It is a long course. Usually a year I think or a little longer. Then if you are there and get in trouble, you have to start over. The thing about him being in segregation, that is neve3r good. You dont get there because you did nothing wrong, there is something he's not telling you. If you are an inmate and scared of someone whippin your ass, they will not move you until after something does happen. I seen guys get moved after snitching on folks, but that's about all. I finish with this. I hope all goes well for the two of you, but don't expect for it to get any easier for you right now. If there is anything else I can do for you let me know.

Hitch's Girl
04-11-2005, 11:31 AM
Yes, by field check, I mean inspection of his intended place of residence. So if the vote goes in on the 14th, which is Thursday, and he does get approved then not too soon after that, they will start their inspection? Have I got that right?
Yup, it's all in God's hands. Like that song from a long time ago, He's got the whole world in His hands :)
peaches

Hitch's Girl
04-11-2005, 11:41 AM
Look who's back, look who's back, look who's back! Welcome back Joeyboy! Glad to have your input, as always.
I know I should quit worrying, I just can't help it. I know my worrying isn't going to change anything but I suppose it's just the human factor. I have learned to expect the worst when dealing with the ADC because of everything that has transpired thus far.
You say your hearing was 30 minutes long.......but you did get approved for parole, right?
Why would they make him take a Votech class? Other than to just keep him longer I cannot see the reasoning but then again, what am I talking about reasoning for? We are, after all, dealing with the ADC.
As for him being in AdSeg, all I know is what he has told me. The warden basically told me the same thing. North Central just got a new warden a few weeks ago and perhaps they do things a certain way, I don't know. All I know is that I need to quit worrying but saying it and doing it are two separate things.
I keep going back and forth with what they may stipulate or not stipulate and then when I read the posts on here sometimes I get hopeful that he will be granted parole and sometimes I get discouraged.
Thanks for your input Joey. The next week is going to be extremely trying and I may be posting just to have a place to vent.
peaches

Joeyboy
04-11-2005, 10:27 PM
Your Welcome!