View Full Version : A Touchy Subject

Smokelady
04-08-2005, 02:45 PM
Well Ladies I hope no one gets offended by this but I saw a post a while ago that was saying how the inmates that are in prison are mostly African American and it seems that, that is the way Ga Parole Board wants to keep it. Now I am a 31 year old black women so I kinda got caught in the in the hype until I started going to visitation and seeing all walks of life behind bars and all ages from young men who were still calling thier moms "mommy" to old men in wheel chairs. Then I finally saw that faces that make up the Parole Board, and guess what there are 5 members 3 are African American and 2 are white.

So Ladies to end this on a fair note the fact is that the PB not FAIR to any of our loved ones! :angry:
Please if you feel your self getting offended by this just reread it with a different frame of mind.
Thank You and I love you all:)

lilivoryangel
04-08-2005, 07:45 PM
Well, I am white and I statistiscs show there ARE more blacks in prison. I can guarantee that my husband would not be in for what he's in for if he was white. Blacks and poor people end up serving more time. I know someone white who is a middle class professional, committed a crime, never got arrested, had a "technical arrest", took a first offender plea, got probation and it is a done deal and she will be clear after a few more months. I just truly believe there is a difference to some degree, but as I said it is the poor and black populations. As far as the blacks in these powerful positions (parole board etc.) these men are Uncle Toms and are trying to keep their little positions..........................that's just how I feel after living this life the past few years.

needing help
04-08-2005, 08:39 PM
wITH ALL DUE RESPECT, MY SON WAS PENALIZED IN THE STATE OF GA. NOT BECAUSE HE WAS POOR AND BLACK BUT BECAUSE HE WAS A PHYSICIAN. THE JUDGE SAID HE HAD ALWAYS LED A LIFE OF PRIVELAGE AND THEREFORE SHOULD HAVE A SENTENCE OF 7 YEARS VS. 2 YEARS IF HE HADN'T BEEN privelaged.
This was a horrible indictment of me, as a mother. I had worked for so many year to put himthrough med school as a single motht/., WE WERE POOR. My son worked from the time he was seven years old--dellivering papers, detassalling corn, working different wait jobs until he went to college. And yet, because I made these sacrificies, my son is being made to serve an extra five years, just because I worked and struggled to get him through med school.

I understand where you are coming from, thinking that your son is being penalized because of his race. But my son is being penalized for the fact tht I struggled against odds as a single mother to educate him. I think all of we mothers know there is something VERY WRONG here.

jsnake
04-08-2005, 10:54 PM
hello everyone.....prisons are the fastest growing industry not only in Georgia but throughout the country....the entire justice system is political, so if you have a conservative government at the time, then you will have more ioncarcerattions, a more liberal one will be less, but it is not a race issue but a economic issue plus you know kind of thang. I have been through several institutiuons with my lady in Georgia(actually there are 3) and it is pretty much balanced ethnic wise...as for the men, currently it is majority black but not much, then white, then hispanic...i say currenlty because there is a rapid growth of hispanics coming into the system( and who says all we do is outsource jobs huh?...sarcastic, sorry). my point is this it is economics and political...economics yes, poor folks(blacks whgites , hispanics) more likely to go to prison than wealthy(heck a lawyer doesnt charge less than 10,000 before even taking the case and there are no guarantees at that), and then political when it comes to parole but it is more politically correct to parole out a black inmate before a white inmate and that is a fact....so lets all get off the race issues and support each other if for nothing else but for our loved ones.... sorry for the lengthy post...i hope i didnt offend.....later, James

Smokelady
04-09-2005, 05:18 PM
Thank you guys for your post and believe me although they are differnt they make alot of sense. Needing Help I am very sorry abou the situation with your son. I will pray for him.

JKB's Girl
04-09-2005, 09:26 PM
Hey Smoke, my friend,
Very thoughtful thread you started. I must say that I agree with a lot of the comments
made by jsnake. The system is so massively unfair to all of us in this nightmare. I do believe that it is more economical than anything else. Basically money talks and bs walks. I also agree about the conservative side of politics being a huge issue.
My man is white and has been the victim of politics, politics kept him from making parole ten years ago. The governor got to look like he was tough on crime, and my man paid the price. So here we are, he is now into his 27th year in the system.

seansgram
04-09-2005, 09:48 PM
James is totally correct. The entire justice system (if that is what you want to call it) is nothing but one of the biggest money making business here in the U.S. The more they can get in there and keep the more money they receive. Its nothing about justice or rehabilitation. Its the all powerful $$$$$$$$$$

mandy288
04-12-2005, 02:04 PM
I believe that it has nothing to do with what color you are! Whether you are black white blue green or orange. If the parole board is made up of 2 whites and 3 blacks wouldnt that make it so black people get less time? It all depends on their criminal history, the nature of the situation, and whomever is doing the sentencing. No ones situation is exactly the same as the next. This whole racial discrimination is just ignorance. It may be hard but the only person to blame for getting what they get is themselves. They should have thought about what they were doing. I tell that to my guy all the time. I wish he could have gotten less time but if it was someone that you didnt love you would say they got what they deserved. I am hope I didnt piss anyone off but to the people that surround me discrimination is dead. People are People

tweetwashington
04-12-2005, 03:35 PM
My opinion is that it is an economic issues. Blacks have a much higher poverty level than whites. When you are poor and with no working skills, you are much more likely to do crimes. I am certainly not excusing crime. We all make choices, and we all must live with the consequences of those choices.

The reality is that prison is big business. They are going to keep putting our brothers and sisters of all races behind bars. We have to educate our community and put systems in place to keep them out of prison.

lilivoryangel
04-12-2005, 09:27 PM
Well, I still believe race/economics are major issues............but I know some do not feel that way. Probably if you haven't lived it, you can't really comprehend. It's like the old saying "....Until you walk a mile in my shoes...." I also am completely aware that it can also be a case of them "having it in for you..." (IE Martha Stewart, the other person I mentioned in my first response, etc.) Anyway....another topic where we all will not agree.

mandy288
04-13-2005, 10:35 AM
The Board reviews a case based on the nature and severity of the offense. The Board considers all relevant factors in making a decision including the age and prior criminal record. There are still other factors that may cause one person to serve more time than the other even if they commit the same crime and are the same age.

Thank you.

04/11/2005 09:39 PM

To
Clemency_Information@pap.state.ga.us

cc

Also check out the case Greene vs Board of Pardons and Paroles

davrik
04-24-2005, 08:42 AM
This is a touchy subject, with many twists. I personally believe that minorities AND poor whites are punished more often and more harshly, becasue they cannot afford a good attorney. I dont think its a race thing. Facts show that most blacks in prison actually commited the crime against another black. They broke the law, they went to jail. Unfortunately, they didnt have the funds to hire a good lawyer to get them off or a reduced sentence. Thats where the system really breaks down. White, black, or hispanic - if you dont have 5K-20K for a good lawyer, the state has got you and you are going to suffer with a court appointed lawyer or a $500 joker that wont do a thing.

mrs.russell
06-12-2009, 11:30 PM
I know this is an old post and found it interesting and wanted to put in my 2 cents...

I agree with a lot of you, however race to me PLAYS a major part on ones sentencing. I am bi-racial (Black/White) but to GA I am Black. I was in a situation where my husband and I was at a friends house who was selling marijuana. His friend had someone come to the house to pick up some weed and BAM! next thing you know cops are at the door...it was a set up. Whomever the guy was (me nor my husband knew him) to pick up the weed set my husband's friend up to try and lessen charges he had gotten prior to the incident (from what we HEARD from others). My husband, my husband's friend, and I were all charged with 1. felony of distributing marijuana. I have NEVER had any prior arrest NOT EVEN A traffic ticket and was sentenced to 7 years probation on First Offender. My husband who was on first offender was sentenced to 10 years do 2 as well as his friend. His friend wrote a statement saying we had nothing to do with the transaction but GA says that its called "Equal Access" meaning that no matter what drugs were in the house and we ALL had equal access to it, mind you I paid 5,000 for an attorney and this was the best that she could do...

Where I am getting at is I have a best friend of mine whom is White and she was in the SAME EXACT situation 3 months after ours (seriously it was an identical situation, to where me and her believe it was the same people involved with my husband and his friend) the same thing happened to her and her boyfriend who is Black...Now she has prior arrest dealing with drugs, AND dUI's, and she was charged with 2 felonies 1. Distributing/Cocaine 2. Distributing/Marijuana then dropped to 2 misdemeanors. Now in my husband and I situation it was only weed his friend was about to sell (just $20 dollars worth but b/c they found a scale in the house is why we all were charged with distributing) and we all did not get the option of it being dropped to a misdemeanor.. .She only got a yr of probation and a 600 dollar fine and no community service.....................ok I love her, she is like a sister to me and I would never wish for her to get the same outcome that I received, but hell even she can say that it does not look right and believes her race (blonde, blue eyes) had an effect on her outcome she received and she didn't even pay for an attorney!!! Sadly for her boyfriend he did have to serve 3 years. Now I am not arguing that all black people get treated unfairly in the justice system and whites do not, I have seen it go both ways, but racism is still here and does play an effect as well as poverty and so on....but at the end of the day wither your black, white, asian, hispanic, I agree that our loved ones did make a mistake...to go as far as saying that the punishment they received is fair....idk....and do not know if I ever will....

I thank you all for being the wonderful people that you are! Here on PTO we are all ONE :)

Kat
06-13-2009, 01:06 PM
I am sorry this happened to yall.The state of Ga is very unfiar,Like you said the same thing happened but not the same out come.I have went to the GDC site and looked at things and you can really tell how the State of Ga works...

Lordbew/us
06-13-2009, 10:39 PM
Mandy288
I believe that it has nothing to do with what color you are! Whether you are black white blue green or orange. If the parole board is made up of 2 whites and 3 blacks wouldnt that make it so black people get less time? It all depends on their criminal history, the nature of the situation, and whomever is doing the sentencing. No ones situation is exactly the same as the next. This whole racial discrimination is just ignorance. It may be hard but the only person to blame for getting what they get is themselves. They should have thought about what they were doing. I tell that to my guy all the time. I wish he could have gotten less time but if it was someone that you didnt love you would say they got what they deserved. I am hope I didnt piss anyone off but to the people that surround me discrimination is dead. People are People.

I think there is an element of truth to what everyone has posted.
However I do think that GA, especially Cobb County is out to look & be tough on crime...PERIOD. There is a lot of the "GOD" complex running around in the DA's office and very little compassion, along with ambitious DA's climbing the political ladder. And remember these DA's & Judges are put in by the VOTER.

I do AGREE with Mandy288 when she says our loved ones are to blame for where they are currently. And yes, I will AGREE with Mandy288, before my son was in this position I did think, along with my famiy, it was tough luck that someone got the time they got.
But NOW we all pretty much know how the system works... and it is not in many cases fair. The majority of the public are still in the dark...JUST LIKE MY FAMILY WAS. It was not until we were put in this position that we have started to become "EDUCATED".
Call me biased but I personally DISAGREE....that my son got the time he deserved. He was a young first time offender, who YES allowed himself to be a party to a crime. He has paid the ultimate price for being a follower, and shelving his values. WE AS HIS FAMILY ARE PAYING THE PRICE, AND WILL CONTINUE TO PAY THE PRICE FOR THE NEXT 10.5 YEARS, UNLESS LAWS CHANGE.
All I can say is what my son rec'd was totally punitive, not justice at all. PERIOD!!!

THERE IS NOT EQUAL JUSTICE....HECK LOOK AT THE POLITICIANS AND ALL THE CORRUPTION, HOLLYWOOD, ATHLETE'S, need I go on?....THE PEOPLE GET AWAY WITH EVERYTHING UNDER THE SUN or GET A SLAP ON THE WRIST. THERE DEFINITELY ISN'T EQUAL & BALANCED JUSTICE.
My respect for the system and our government is fastly fading.

That just my personal opinion.

mrs.russell
06-14-2009, 10:32 AM
As far as what Mandy said I agree with her to an extent. I was speaking more of racism playing a part on ones sentencing. I cannot see racism playing much of a part onto the PB decisions for ones release, especially when everything is up to what the parole examiner puts in the inmate file for the PB to see. Racism is here and it goes BOTH WAYS and to think that it does not exist is ignorant. What would be ignorant is to go around and think a certain race of people are just racist, but I am not saying that. I am going by EXPERIENCES that I have been in and witness as to way I state my opinion to the the justice system being racist. However, I know that it is the whole picture and not just the color of ones skin, such as the nature of the crime, criminal history, the person, etc...but at the end of the day your race plays a apart (to me) on what your outcome will be.

To not have to worry about dealing with the justice system is to not do anything against the law and that is what it boils down to at the end of the day.