View Full Version : sending moneyto prisoners

bobbye7
04-05-2005, 05:45 AM
i was surprised when my son told me all the things he needed money for -- from Sudaphed to toiletries to a lock for his locker. i have been sending him a little every now and then and he finally has work, making 65-cents a day. but it seems like something is always coming up. i don't think he's doing drugs, because he hasn't had a dirty urinalysis but i don't know about drinking. my question is, what is normal to expect them to need? he doesn't have anybody but me to depend on right now & I don't want to be in the position of feeling used.

Forever_Lovers
04-05-2005, 07:47 AM
My huband sent me a copy of his commissary list. Everything is expensive. I was beginning to think that he wasn't spending his money right, so he sent me the commissary list. 3 bars of Irish Spring cost $2.35, 4 oz colgate is $2.20, and batteries $2.20 plus the other food items and his prepaid phone calls. This was an old list, many of the prices have since went up. My husband needs about $100/mo to make sure he can call plus get his essentials. Ask your man for a copy of his commissary list.

babygirl350
04-05-2005, 01:35 PM
Well he would need money for postage if he writes and also paper and envelopes, writing instrument.
You might be interested in knowing there, they are given 5 rolls of toilet paper per month, so if he uses more, he has to buy it from the canteen.

If he goes to medical for anything he is charged 2.00 and if he doesn't have it, then they freeze his account when money does come in they will take it.

I don't know if he smokes, but that also costs. Prices aren't as high there as they are in some other prisons, but if you are interested perhaps he can send you a copy, of course he has to pay for that also. It is either 10 or 15 cents.

mzpeachez
04-06-2005, 09:36 AM
If he is taking classes, there might be materials he needs. Remember, stamps are like money. Everything is at cost there, and they are paid very little. He would need toiletries and etc. I dont send a lot, I send about $20 per week, to help with stamps and for him to prepay his phone calls

kris' pooh bear
04-25-2005, 05:41 PM
I know all too well from personal experience that if your son is doing drugs or something he should not be doing, he cannot get "money" from his inmate account. Yes, he could buy cigarettes or something like that in order to pay his debts, but, when you get money added to your account, the only way you are allowed to use your money is by your id tag or room key (I forgot which one exactly). It has a bar code on it like a credit card sortof, and they run it through a machine and it automatically deducts it from their account. They are not allowed to actually touch the money themselves.

Canteen in prison is VERY expensive, and unfortunately, the things they need to survive are in the canteen, they are only allowed to spend $75 per week, if that helps you any.

waitingforher
05-22-2005, 09:34 PM
Everything is expensive in the Womens prison too. They must buy everything including shampoo and Tampons. Or use their toilet paper for pads, and then buy more toilet paper. $75 a week is the max at the canteen but they can also buy token cards for thngs like cold sandwiches and items to snack on in Recreation, but those items too are at a premium price. I send my Love $100 a week so she can be as comfortable as they will allow me to help her be.

babygirl350
05-24-2005, 09:17 PM
For all the state inmates in Kentucky, they now are allowed to spend 100.00 a week. It used to be 75.00, however, with the price of cigarettes, they have raised the amount to 100, just so you all know.

BigJoe42420
08-17-2005, 08:37 PM
For all the state inmates in Kentucky, they now are allowed to spend 100.00 a week. It used to be 75.00, however, with the price of cigarettes, they have raised the amount to 100, just so you all know.

BabyGirl,
I am sorry to tell you this but I was just released from prison in march 2005 and the limit was still 75.00 a week, at least at KSR and Blackburn.

To the other poster; I did not have much help while inside, I made it on my $13.00 a month state pay plus about 20.00 more, I didn't get to eat Ramen noodles everynight but I had the necessities.

babygirl350
08-18-2005, 12:18 AM
BigJoe - If KSR and Blackburn were only allowing you to spend 75.00 a week, then the Wardens there were going against DOC policy. I have the paper here which states it is to be 100.00 at each prison.

Doesn't really surprise me, as Wardens seem to make their own rules up on what inmates are given for doing certain jobs even though there is a list up for those as well.

All prisons in Kentucky are to be structured alike in regards to this, however, if truth were to be known they all aren't.