View Full Version : What job/work does your inmate do in prison????

SCM32
03-26-2005, 11:55 AM
When my guy first went to prison, his work was to clean the rec yard. Because I think at first the inmates have to do just whatever for a job. Then after 2 years of waiting, he finally got the photo job. He gets to take pictures(much better pay:) ) for the prisoners inside(not at visitation). What kind of job does your inmate have inside???? :)

babygirl350
03-26-2005, 12:03 PM
Jobs are not very plentiful where he is right now. You have to take what you can get, not necessarily what you want. So for right now he is working in the kitchen. What a waste of his talent as he is a certified teacher's aide. He is hoping to hold that position again, however, he has to stay at this position for three months before he can take another position. Well, hey at least he is making 1.30 a day, better than those jobs only paying .40 a day. The teacher's aid job pays 2.00 a day though, which is the highest paid in this prison.

MrsBenji
03-26-2005, 12:03 PM
My hubby has had several. He is head tutor for the GED classes at the moment, but he is moving over to another job at the beginning of April. He already runs a small business course, but with the new job he will be running several more classes for the other inmates. I am so proud of him for being so productive and helpful to other folks! :)

Jenn

Pinky99
03-26-2005, 12:04 PM
My fiance was an Electrician when he was out here and he was lucky enough to get a job as an Electrician inside the prison. :thumbsup:

Ken'sWife
03-26-2005, 12:12 PM
My husband is also an electrician and worked as a teacher's aide in the certification program that the facility has, but then came program cuts. The program is now only part of the year and the teacher's aide position was cut. He now works as a clerk for the cell block that he is in. He doesn't like it, but knows he could be doing something worse.

angiesmom
03-26-2005, 12:12 PM
Mine is a baker. He is a certified chef on the outside, but always wanted to learn baking. No pay. :(

cassielvben
03-26-2005, 12:14 PM
my hubby works in the kitchen right now but soon to be doing sumthing different

TNC
03-26-2005, 12:16 PM
My husband took a plumbing course while in prison. Not to mention his dad owns a plumbing business. He is currently working a prison plumbing job making $10.00 a month. A few months ago before he got transfered he was making $15.00 a month as a janitor.

It blows me away that he made more money cleaning toilets then he does fixing them

melbo
03-26-2005, 12:27 PM
My husband works the rec yard, before that he was cleaning toilets, they really don't have a huge choice in Oklahoma. He makes about 50.00 a month.

Mel

TNC
03-26-2005, 12:29 PM
He makes about 50.00 a month.

WOW.....Those are prime wages for a prison job.

Its it sad we or they are resorted to getting excited about making $50.00 a month.

melbo
03-26-2005, 12:41 PM
Really? Your kidding me. I thought that was pretty bad. I was excited for him when he got his .03 raise. I guess it's better than nothing.

Mel

JustHeather
03-26-2005, 12:42 PM
My man usually does work in the rec areas, handin out stuff, helpin guys work out..almost a personal trainer thing..he also has driven forklifts and stuff, but since he got to where he is now..he has nothin..

TNC
03-26-2005, 12:51 PM
Really? Your kidding me. I thought that was pretty bad.
Considering my husband makes $10.00 a month to do plumbing I think $50.00 is a lot. Not only does Chris fix broken toilets, but here in a few weeks they are laying pipe for a sprinkler system. So were talking serious manual labor for $10.00

It seems that I head the highest paying job at the prison where Chris is at is $50.00 a month. Those are for a very verl select few.

SCM32
03-26-2005, 12:54 PM
I guess my guy makes alot then, because he makes nearly 150$a month. It varies each month. I am not sure why. But one month he only made like 100$. But since he's been doing photos, he makes at least 100$. Before when he was cleaning the rec yard, he made like 25$ or 30$ a month. He can even send me money now. If I tell him, I cant afford to come visit, he will send me money. I have to admit, it is kinda nice :) that he can send me money

TNC
03-26-2005, 12:59 PM
I guess my guy makes alot then, because he makes nearly 150$a month. It varies each month. I am not sure why. But one month he only made like 100$. But since he's been doing photos, he makes at least 100$. Before when he was cleaning the rec yard, he made like 25$ or 30$ a month. He can even send me money now. If I tell him, I cant afford to come visit, he will send me money. I have to admit, it is kinda nice :) that he can send me money
WOW.....I think for the most part that is very rare prions wages

SCM32
03-26-2005, 01:04 PM
WOW.....I think for the most part that is very rare prions wages
Yes it is very good wages for prison. And believe it or not, the guy who was doing photos before him was making WAY more than Buddy makes taking pictures. I guess there was a budget cut :eek: Some budget cut, huh?

TNC
03-26-2005, 01:13 PM
Well personally I think the prisons need to evaluate better prison wages. I think that if there were more $50-$100 jobs then it would be a great incinative to not screw up and lose the job.

Those making $10-$15.00 a month wouldnt really have much to lose if they messed up and lost their job. You know that for them to hire plumbers to come in and fix toilets or leaky faucets would cost a lot more then what the inmates are paid. If the state hired outside contractors to lay pipe for sprinklers that would also cost a lot.

I'm not saying inmates should be bribed or bought into being in their best behavior, but I am saying that like anyone else you will get better preformance if the pay off in the end is worth something.

Its no differant on the inside as the outside. We wouldnt give our job 110% if we were working for pennies. No matter where you are you get what you pay for and if you are willing to pay decent then you will get decent employees

Homiegirl
03-26-2005, 02:06 PM
Of the people whose men make a lot of money are they in state prison or federal???

2nice
03-26-2005, 02:18 PM
When my baby was in Atlanta, he used to clean his tier floor, and some odd jobs that his counsellor used to tell him to do (paint the bars/railings). He has transferred to a new institution and doesnt have a job as yet!

My baby is with the Fedz... he used to make $35 per month (or quarter... not sure).

bIgMiKeSlAdY08
03-26-2005, 02:41 PM
My baby LIkes to cut hair so he has a job in the barber shop in prison not sure of how much he is makin but he likes it and it keeps him busy and his mind off of the bad stuff

SCM32
03-26-2005, 02:41 PM
Of the people whose men make a lot of money are they in state prison or federal???
Mine is in federal.

Homiegirl
03-26-2005, 02:57 PM
What federal prison is your loved one at? How long did it take him to get that job making so much money...no matter how much I hate to say this the Feds arent that bad to do your time with...as long as he is close enough to home we can spend one weekend a month together without breaking the bank...

SCM32
03-26-2005, 03:06 PM
What federal prison is your loved one at? How long did it take him to get that job making so much money...no matter how much I hate to say this the Feds arent that bad to do your time with...as long as he is close enough to home we can spend one weekend a month together without breaking the bank...
It took him 2 years or so to get the job he has now. And yes, I would say the feds are the best as far as work on the inside goes, and he is enjoying it, since he stayed broke in jail so long, LOL peace :)

MrsWest11
03-26-2005, 03:13 PM
Since Kevin is in work release..he is working at a trailer plant (building the trailers you pull behind pick-up trucks...like a lawn mower trailer)...but, before he was moved to WR..he worked in the kitchen, on the farm, on the road crew...you name it...he probably done it a day or two.

Wingy
03-26-2005, 04:03 PM
My guy "runs paper" its like an inside mailman...running inner office mail, its one of the best jobs someone could have...to get out more and he doesnt have supervision, not the best pay...he makes about 40 a month, he's in state and has had the smae job for about 8 years

ToAsTy
03-26-2005, 04:17 PM
My hubby works in the kitchen... he makes $18 per month, i think that i might put him on kitchen duty when he's back at home where he belongs.... i love watching a man do the dishes :p

sdylan06
03-26-2005, 04:28 PM
yeah that would be nice toasty! lol, my guy just has to take out the trash once a day, i don't even know what he gets, i'm sure its not as much as i send him!

poni'swoman
03-26-2005, 05:23 PM
My man is the the federal system. He works in Unicor, the factory, he makes $300 a month.

Homiegirl
03-26-2005, 05:26 PM
Wow what type of facility is he in Poni?? How long did it take him tog et into UNICOR and how long is his setence...sorry so long my man is about to leave to the feds for almost 4 years...

JayandMe
03-26-2005, 05:31 PM
My man is a smarty pants, so teachers Aide was right up his alley!

EddysWife
03-26-2005, 06:26 PM
Eddy worked for MinnCorr industries when he was in Rush city and netted 3.50 or something like that per hour AFTER fines, the state's cut, child support and taxes. It was actually good money, he always had enough to cover his expenses and he'd send money home :D

Then when he got moved to medium he got another job with MinnCorr but then Warden jackass moved all MinnCorr out of the facility and off to Stillwater. Eddy got a job as a "runner" and that's what he does now. Runs and gets inmates for appointments, visits, etc. It pays 50 cents an hour. He's hoping for this electrician's apprentice program to start up, because he was assured he'd get it if they do start it up. He'd be making decent wages and the hours he works counts toward what is required to start the licensing process or something, he said. Cool!

RaspberryGal
03-26-2005, 06:43 PM
My hubby is a shower porter for $0.20/hour.

Vlfl
03-26-2005, 07:00 PM
Like SCM32, My man at times has been able to send me money.
He's a licensed barber in the free world, so of course his job was in the barbershop and forgot how much he received a month for that and I can't remember how much he got as a GED tutor either. I know one of the jobs he had was paying like 25 a month I think and also I know he did other odd jobs that he got paid for. I know he gets upset when I send him money, he told me not to send it unless he lets me know he needs it cause he's covered in there. at the time he's in the box so he has no job :( vbmenu_register("postmenu_1071853", true);

1dayatatime
03-26-2005, 07:11 PM
J has requested a detail--many many times. But he was recenlty told by his new counselor that he will never be able to go on detail. The last counselor put that in his file----we have no reason why except J and her HATED each other.

SO my man holds down the bunk 24/7. He makes $0.00 an hour~
You would think they would want everyone to do there share.
ONE

jeffsprincess
03-26-2005, 07:53 PM
Jeff used to work at the hospital of his old prison, but since he was moved he hasnt been able to get another job yet.

one_luv
03-27-2005, 11:40 AM
My boo has been trying to get steady work for the longest, but they don't give you a job unless you have cleasr conduct for 6 months. The couple of jobs he's had he has quickly lost. Only about 15% of prisoners work in this state- there are just not enough jobs to go around and the have very strict rules when you do get a job. He's in a prison where there asre no job training programs because they are all long-timers.
So he's doing self-study to be a fitness trainer. He's taking courses and he has people that "pay" him to buff them up. He's actually really good at it. I don't think he'll have as problem getting a job as a trainer when he gets out- he is sooooooo fine and has a mouth piece that makes people like him.

Jessakitty4946
03-27-2005, 10:57 PM
He used to clean the toilets in his unit but was late one day and they kicked him off that unit. So now he serves all 3 meals 5days a week.

ginaned
03-27-2005, 11:08 PM
My Baby Doesnt Have A Job Yet Been Trying But Is Currently In G.e.d Classes

tomsfriend
03-28-2005, 02:56 AM
Taft said he had to work the first 90 days in the kitchen before he could try to get any other job. Not to bad except when they have bowls which adds the extra item per person to the cleaning - often with stuck stuff.

He was getting an amazing 14 cents an hour cause they couldn't seem to figure out he was a graduate and didn't need a ged. They finally got that figured out so he now makes 17 cents.

He is constantly applying for any other kind of work.

Diane93635
03-28-2005, 03:05 AM
My man sews on a sewing machine. I think right now he's sewing the orange pants for CDC...he was doing boxers. He makes about $50 a month too...maybe a little less. Depends on how many days of work he loses for being locked down or something. Always some drama in there...

loveSunnyH
03-28-2005, 07:18 AM
He's a clerk in Reception. No $ for him either - just NOT locked down for 23 hours a day, like everyone else!

babygirl350
03-28-2005, 10:13 AM
Well personally I think the prisons need to evaluate better prison wages. I think that if there were more $50-$100 jobs then it would be a great incinative to not screw up and lose the job.

Those making $10-$15.00 a month wouldnt really have much to lose if they messed up and lost their job. You know that for them to hire plumbers to come in and fix toilets or leaky faucets would cost a lot more then what the inmates are paid. If the state hired outside contractors to lay pipe for sprinklers that would also cost a lot.

I'm not saying inmates should be bribed or bought into being in their best behavior, but I am saying that like anyone else you will get better preformance if the pay off in the end is worth something.

Its no differant on the inside as the outside. We wouldnt give our job 110% if we were working for pennies. No matter where you are you get what you pay for and if you are willing to pay decent then you will get decent employees

That is why here in Kentucky, they call it slave labor. Their aim is to get everything they can get from our loved ones without having to pay top dollar to bring someone in from the outside to do it.

Your last paragraph says it best. I would only add that it is also how you are treated, if you treat people well with respect you are going to get more productivity out of them and they indeed will make better employees. Of course I am saying this mostly for the outside of the fence jobs, but it does apply to the inside to some degree.

Just my opinions.

Soon2BMarried
03-28-2005, 10:26 AM
He works for Unicor $25/week

Luann
03-28-2005, 11:48 AM
My guy just got a job in the kitchen as of today. I have no idea how much he'll make

bbacic
03-28-2005, 12:59 PM
My man has the lowest wage job he is a janitor and only makes 11.00 a month which they take out 65% for child support so now his last check was 4 dollars. He has applied for other jobs but can't seem to get them. How do they determine who gets what job and so forth?

CougarsGrl4Ever
03-28-2005, 02:43 PM
My husband is a 309....so he doesn't get paid to work,,,but he works.....he is a computer tech.

samsfi
03-28-2005, 06:43 PM
My fiance is a chef on the outside- but lives in fear of having to work in the kitchen- he's very picky about his food!!! ( Yes he's lost alot of weight!)
He has also done all kinds of construction work on the outside.
He was just transferred and they have him working as a plumber. I'm not sure about his pay... I guess he'll tell me as soon as he knows. But I don't look for it to be that much!!

JR'SLILMOMMA
03-28-2005, 07:33 PM
JR is the LT's Clerk/Asst. He gets paid, and pretty good too, plus he gets little perks here and there!