View Full Version : Help, Help And More Help Needed!

Gemini4lif
03-23-2005, 07:54 AM
Ok ladies, here I am again, neurotic as ever and losing my damn mind over here in Virginia.

I have been going back and forth with my decision on moving to Georgia..even found a job, that I wound up turning down...and I thought that was the end of that...WRONG!

They called me again on Monday with a counter offer, matching my salary here. I talked it over with my husband and decided to accept it.

Now for the drama (you know it had to be some, right?)

THEY WANT ME TO START APRIL 6TH!

My son is in the 5th grade, going to the sixth next year. Here in Virginia school lets out in June, as opposed to May in Georgia. I called the Dept of Education in Georgia to find out what type of concessions they make for students transferring so late in the game, if they take their grades from the other school to determine their placement for the next year. They said yes, but that all students in Georgia have to take some type of exam every year and if they dont pass they dont go to the next grade. Now mind you, my son has dyslexia and is in special education classes for reading and math...I am so worried that he will take this test and not pass and have to repeat a grade, when I know he has tried hard all year.

My other option would be to leave my son here with my brother until school is out...good plan right? WRONG! My brother lives with me now and does not work so I would still be responsible for paying the $1200 rent until school lets out. Not to mention the electric, phone, groceries and everything else. I have put my neck out for my brother time and time again, and it is a bit tired. My husband says, and I agree, that it is stupid to leave my son and pay that rent, that I might as well stay put if that is what I am going to do. My aunt and I talked last night and she said I should just take my son, that he may surprise me and pass this test (I do not know the difference in curriculum between Virginia and Georgia, so I dont know if we are ahead and they are behind or vice versa). And that they may make special concessions for special needs students to help them pass the test.

I am killing myself here, because now I have a little over a week to pack, get a mover and get down there.

I need the names of some storage facilities down there if anyone knows...and also WHAT SHOULD I DO????

You guys know I am not right in the head. But how can I entertain you if I am not an utter mess? LOL

Patrice

Mr.Chain-gang
03-23-2005, 10:58 AM
go with your gut on this one!!!! personally, i'd already be down here!!! my recomendation would be to just pack it up and come on down, and let the chips fall where they may ... buttom line just PRAY ABOUT IT!!!!!! GOOD LUCK!!!! One more thing if he's looking to make parole, out of state paroles are harder to get approved, so if you come down here that won't be a problem...

Gemini4lif
03-23-2005, 11:02 AM
So here I am, scrambling to find a mover (nothing is cheap..the cheapest one was $1100), so now I will probably have to drive my own u-haul down (its $489). Ohhhh, im getting a headache!

Patrice

Mr.Chain-gang
03-23-2005, 11:11 AM
might be better to store your stuff, and go ahead and make your move here then once you get settled in here, then go back for your things...

beautiful1116
03-23-2005, 11:19 AM
$498? What in the world are they thinking charging you so much. Mileage? If i were you i would call the school that you think he might be attending, ask to speak to the special education teacher and ask her about your concerns. I have heard that georgia has a very good school systems through out the state. I wouldn't worry too much about it, even if georgia is behind virginia in their studies, it would only help him out in the long run. You wouldn't want him to switch schools and be in the sixth grade and really be behind everyone else and have to try even harder than what he has to now. it may be a good thing, just take a chance and leave the rest up to God. as far as the paying the $1200 in rent just to let him stay there until school is out, i couldn't do that. But it is your choice, i hope that you make the right decision and are happy with it, good luck.

Gemini4lif
03-23-2005, 11:33 AM
$498 is with 750 miles free! I guess since I am doing a one-way move and not returning the truck in Virginia. Storage here is cool, but then that means I would have to trek back here to get my stuff later...and I know me...there is going to be something that I put in storage that I am going to want later, I just like the idea of it being closer to me...if that makes sense.

I am weighing the pros and cons now, so I really dont know which way I am going to go with the moving of my furniture. I might wind up leaving it here and just taking my clothes for all I know.

Patrice

minniecas
03-23-2005, 11:51 AM
dear Gemini4lif I say Take a chance..Pack your bags and take your son and go..What do you have to lose:confused: Being put back a grade isn't that bad. Sometimes it works out for the best, and look at it this way...Your son will make new friends..It will be a whole new place. You have a job. You'll be closer to your husband. It's scarey to pick up and start over. But it also can be a better place for you and your son to live. Plus call a moving company..They will come in and pack everything for you. Take it to Georgia, find a storage place for you. Place your belonging in that storage company and all you do is pay them and get yourself and your son to Georgia and start that new life..Oh ya as for finding a place???Get on the computer look up the area you want to live in or call the company your going to work for and ask if they can give you any information on locations that are renting. If you want to take your time. Rent a weekly or a monthly..Than you can get to know the surrounding and you don't have to rush into a place you may end up hating..Good luck and god bless..But do it..you will be glad you did..:thumbsup:

Mr.Chain-gang
03-23-2005, 12:20 PM
hey, if he gets put back a year, then he'll be that much older when he's a senior in sports, big advantage for him. but hey we have summer school he too, where he can make it all up...

Gemini4lif
03-23-2005, 01:29 PM
I am quite sure my son will be just fine. I am just being a mother hen.

bsteph
03-23-2005, 01:46 PM
I say go with your first and strongest gut feeling. Children are very adaptable. Having been in the same situation when my son was that age I went with it and he had a hard time adjusting. Children with ADD or learning disabilities tend to need continuity. It might just make it a little more difficult for you in helping him to adjust to the change but if it is worth it to you to move, then do it and your son will be fine. Just make sure you discuss it with your son as he might be opposed to it but if he knows what to expect he will be fine. Good luck to you:thumbsup: .

Gemini4lif
03-23-2005, 02:11 PM
I talked it over with my son the other day and asked him how he felt about staying here to finish school while I start a new job in Atlanta. He got quiet and said "I want to go with you" He was so sad. See, my son has never been away from me for more than 3 or 4 days...but 3 months? Yeah right! I should have known he would react that way.

And yes bsteph, children with learning disabilities do need continuity. His dyslexia was just discovered a couple of years ago and he has had great teachers helping him. I can only pray that is the same in Georgia. He is a great kid and tries very hard, and I am sure he will be jsut fine.

amomslove
03-23-2005, 06:23 PM
I don't reply until a post touches my heart and yours has... GIRL, JUST DO IT!! Won't your husband be on parole/probation down here or will he be totally free? Georgia has great school support for your son, just stay involved with his curiculum, teachers,etc.. Go out on faith, all roads are leading to Georgia. Your brother is a grown man, time he grows up! It's your life with your husband and son that is important here! Ooooweee!! I'm hype now!! Don't let the devil steal your joy! What ever obstacles you may see are only small giants.. move on to bigger and better things chile!!:thumbsup:

Gemini4lif
03-24-2005, 08:53 AM
I talked to my husband last night and here is what we decided:

Yes, I am going...with my son and with faith the the Lord will help my son pass whatever tests he needs to to advance to the next grade.

I am putting my things in storage here in Virginia for the time being so I can move down there with adequate funds - just in case. I am moving in with my good girlfriend, so I wont need it right away anyway. I will return to Virginia in June to move my things down. My moms co-worker has his own truck and hitch and will move my things when I am ready for $525. Compared to the high quotes I received from other movers, this is paydirt for me. So I will fly back, meet him at the storage and drive back with him with my things in tow!

Everything is happening for a reason...and I cannot close my eyes to the blessings that are being placed right in front of me. it has to be a sign that Georgia is where I am supposed to be.

SO GEORGIA HERE I COME!

Patrice

Lilboobooev
03-24-2005, 09:09 AM
Good Luck girl!! I am sure things will countinue to go good for you and your son! Make sure that when you register him that you fill out the appropriate paper work so that they know his problem. Usually they will set up extra time or something for him to take the test considering he has a learning disability. Make sure to discuss all this with the school...Im sure everything will be ok.

Good Luck!

MiaBellaAngela
03-24-2005, 12:11 PM
I am not in this state but saw your post and I feel your anxiety. I want to tell you I have moved across the country in as little as 4 days and if i can do that I now you can do this!

Call the son's school and talk to the special ed coordinator (as someone said above). Explain that you are coming and your concerns. By law I believe that b/c your son is spec. ed. if he doesn't pass the test to move up a grade, they have to give him an alternate test with all the accommodations he has now. Make sure your bring his IEP with you and all his school records. This will save you alot of grief later!

If you can afford it get a mover!
http://www.getmovingestimate.com/
http://www.movingrelocation.com/georgia.htm
http://www.123movers.com/?se=goo19&qw=georgia+moving+company&kwcmp=KNC-Google
http://www.intlmovers.com/Georgia.html
http://www.suddathrelocation.com/contact/locations/atlanta.html

I enjoy reading your quotes and good luck. God would not have had that company call you back matching your salary if you were not meant to be there. Good luck!!

BREATHE You can do it!
And I tell you, Ask, and it will be given you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you. For every one who asks receives, and he who seeks finds, and to him who knocks it will be opened.
Luke 11:9-10

amomslove
03-24-2005, 07:04 PM
:thumbsup:

lilivoryangel
03-24-2005, 08:05 PM
Hey-As a GA teacher, I can tell you that your son will be fine. The test is not yearly and it is not for placement to the next grade except for certain grades, like 3rd. Plus if he is receiving special services all you need to do is get a copy of EVERYTHING in his permanent record and also have them fax it to the school. I can't imagine they would hold him back as long as he is passing there. Another option is to find a sitter there, home school the rest of this year and then enroll him in the fall. School is nearly over and most schools have done all the testing by now. DOn't let this keep you from the opportunity of a good job, closer to your honey and a new start. Please email if you have any questions!