View Full Version : Chino prison warden, top aides put on leave

Latinlove
03-17-2005, 05:55 PM
Chino prison warden, top aides put on leave

State acts after report says security lapses led to officer's death.

By Andy Furillo -- Bee Capitol Bureau
Published 2:15 am PST Thursday, March 17, 2005

The Department of Corrections placed the warden on administrative leave Wednesday after an inspector general's report found a laundry list of security failures that led to an officer's stabbing death at the California Institution for Men in Chino.

Corrections officials also placed Warden Lori DiCarlo's two chief deputies on paid leave in the wake of the harshly critical report issued by the independent Office of the Inspector General. The names of the two chief deputies were not immediately available late Wednesday, a corrections spokesman said.

None of the prison managers placed on leave was available for comment Wednesday, and the department also declined to discuss the management move. But at a press conference earlier in the day, Youth and Adult Correctional Secretary Rod Hickman said the inspector general's report "confirmed my worst fears" about institutional security at Chino.

Officer Manuel Gonzalez, 43, was slain Jan. 10 when he let Jon Christopher Blaylock out of his cell. He wanted to talk with the inmate - a reputed gang leader - about easing tensions in the housing unit. The report said Gonzalez and other staff members at the prison, by allowing the inmate to interact with the officer one-on-one, did not follow security protocols at the prison.

But chief among the security failures, the inspector general said, was housing the suspect in a general population housing unit at the Chino reception center even though he had just been sentenced to 75 years in prison for trying to murder a Los Angeles police officer.

Moreover, Blaylock, 35, had been confined in a security housing cell at Corcoran State Prison when he had been paroled just four months earlier - and should have gone into a similarly restrictive environment once he came back, the report suggested.

"Many of the other reception centers report that - as a returning inmate who had most recently been paroled from a security housing unit - he would have been automatically placed in an administrative segregation unit," the Office of the Inspector General's report said of Blaylock.

The inspector general's other findings criticized the prison for lax security procedures that allowed inmates to fashion weapons from tools and other items and for not conducting more searches of cells to find them. After Gonzalez's death, a search of the housing unit where the officer died turned up 35 stabbing devices in the inmates' cells, the inspector general said.

Prison authorities also failed to distribute more than 300 protective vests to officers that were being stored in a warehouse, the report said. And the prison medical center where Gonzalez was taken after the stabbing "was poorly equipped and ill-prepared to handle the emergency."

About the writer:

The Bee's Andy Furillo can be reached at (916) 321-1141 or afurillo@sacbee.com (http://mail.yahoo.com/config/login?/ym/Compose?To=afurillo@sacbee.com).

RPinSD
03-17-2005, 06:37 PM
That's mixed news. I've noticed them cracking down during visits and my man has reported more cell searches. Warden Di Carlo has some good history at Chino, so I don't see her getting removed from her position. Maybe just a long vacation is what she needs.

softcooky
03-17-2005, 08:09 PM
My man said there were police all over there yesterday. Today they're on lockdown. I called and was told to call tomorrow to find out if there will be visiting this weekend.

Latinlove
03-17-2005, 10:32 PM
Something is stirring in the pot!

isaacsgirl
03-18-2005, 02:33 PM
I recieved a letter from my man in Chino. He said they were on lockdown. Does anyone know if there will be visits this weekend? I tried calling but no answer!