View Full Version : Two New Stories about the medical situation in Leaksville.

Amy
03-17-2005, 10:34 AM
http://www.sunherald.com/mld/sunherald/news/politics/11160200.htm

Posted on Thu, Mar. 17, 2005

Meningitis not problem at Miss. prison

Associated Press

LEAKESVILLE, Miss. - Authorities say autopsies confirm the deaths of three inmates from the South Mississippi Correctional Institution in Leakesville were unrelated.

And seven inmates from the same prison were taken to Singing River Hospital on Sunday, not because of the three deaths, but because an inmate hospitalized in George County had an odd infection, prison officials said.

After spinal taps to check for meningitis, all seven were cleared and returned to prison, the officials said.

An eighth inmate from the prison, brought to Singing River Hospital on Monday, had an illness unrelated to the meningitis scare and is still hospitalized in good condition.

"We're always going to have somebody in the hospital with the population size of the facility at Leakesville," said Dr. Kentrell Liddell, medical director for the state Department of Corrections. The prison has 2,400 inmates.

Greene County Coroner Clyde Gilley said autopsy results from the state medical examiner show two of the three inmates who died this past week had heart trouble and the third had diabetes and a bleeding ulcer.

Two died at the prison hospital on March 7 and 8. Henry Lee Williamson, 44, was diabetic and Edward Johnson, 64, had heart trouble.

The third, Randal Laughter, 49, was admitted to Singing River Hospital on March 9 and died that same day of congestive heart failure and a type of shock related to a bacterial infection, according to his records, Liddell said.

Laughter had a history of cardiovascular disease and emphysema, according to the records, Liddell said.

It was four days after Laughter's death that the prison sent the seven inmates to Singing River Hospital for spinal taps. When the inmate was hospitalized in George County, the prison decided to take precautionary action to make sure none of the population had meningitis, Liddell said.

She would not specify symptoms exhibited by the inmate hospitalized in George County.

"Any inmate with fever, headache and neck pains or any symptom that looked suspicious was sent to the emergency room for a second opinion," Liddell said.

Lumbar puncture tests for meningitis are not done at the prison.

She said the seven who were collected to go to for tests probably just had infections of some sort. Hospital officials confirmed the seven were listed in good condition during their brief hospital stay.

Amy
03-17-2005, 10:37 AM
http://www.sunherald.com/mld/thesunherald/news/local/11155614.htm

Posted on Thu, Mar. 17, 2005

INMATES Meningitis scare at South Mississippi prison turned out to be nothing

Tests confirm: No epidemic at prison

By KAREN NELSON
THE SUN HERALD

PASCAGOULA - Autopsies have confirmed that the deaths of three inmates from the South Mississippi Correctional Institution in Leakesville last week were unrelated.

And seven inmates from the same prison who were brought to Singing River Hospital on Sunday were brought, not because of the three deaths, but because an inmate hospitalized in George County had an odd infection.

After spinal taps to check for meningitis, all seven have been cleared and released back to prison. There was no meningitis, state prison officials said.

An eighth inmate from the prison, brought to Singing River Hospital on Monday, had an illness unrelated to the meningitis scare and is still hospitalized in good condition.

"We're always going to have somebody in the hospital," said Dr. Kentrell Liddell, MDOC medical director, "with the population size of the facility at Leakesville," which has 2,400 inmates.

According to autopsy results faxed to Greene County Coroner Clyde Gilley from state medical examiner Dr. Steve Hayne, two of the three inmates who died last week had heart trouble and the third had diabetes and a bleeding ulcer.

Two died at the prison hospital on March 7 and 8; Henry Lee Williamson, 44, was diabetic and Edward Johnson, 64, had heart trouble.

The third, Randal Laughter, 49, was admitted to Singing River Hospital on March 9 and died that same day of congestive heart failure and a type of shock related to a bacterial infection, according to his records, Liddell said.

Laughter had a history of cardiovascular disease and emphysema, according to prison hospital records, Liddell said.

It was four days after Laughter's death that the prison sent the seven inmates to Singing River Hospital for spinal taps. When the inmate was hospitalized in George County, the prison decided to take precautionary action to make sure none of the population had meningitis, Liddell said.

She would not specify symptoms exhibited by the inmate hospitalized in George County.

"Any inmate with fever, headache and neck pains or any symptom that looked suspicious was sent to the emergency room for a second opinion," Liddell said. Lumbar puncture tests for meningitis are not done at the prison.

She said the seven who were collected to go to for tests probably just had a bug of some sort. Hospital officials confirmed the seven were listed in good condition during their brief hospital stay.

LITTLE DIXIE
03-21-2005, 11:21 AM
I Don't Think It Was Nothing . My Mother Passed Away On Wed.3/16/05.she Was In Rankin Co.they Would Not Take Her To The Hospital Until It Was Too Late.my Family Is In Shock.

I-Care
03-22-2005, 10:41 AM
OHHHH I am SO SORRY!! I heard this from a freind that lives near Poplarville MS. but I really was hoping this was not true but that maybe someone had this mixed up with the 4 deaths I heard rumors about at CMCF last month that I can not get confirmed..

I sent you a Private Message ..Little Dixie... My heart is with you... VERY VERY SORRY TO HEAR THIS!!! WHO WILL BE NEXT!!! ??????

MERCIFUL HEAVENS!!!!

PLEASE check your PM as quickly as you can..

"I-Care"