View Full Version : (Mississippi) Officials mum over sending inmates to hospital

Amy
03-14-2005, 07:01 PM
http://www.sunherald.com/mld/thesunherald/11129588.htm

By TOM WILEMON
THE SUN HERALD

PASCAGOULA - Prison officials are mum about the reasons for transporting sick inmates last week to Singing River Hospital from the South Mississippi Correctional Institution in Leakesville after three prisoners died in three consecutive days.

Seven sick inmates are now being treated at the hospital, where prison guards have been posted. Hospital spokesman Richard Lucas said he could not discuss the nature of their illnesses because of federal privacy laws. The presence of the prisoners has generated concern about a communicable disease within the prison system, but Greene County Coroner Clyde Gilley said autopsies determined that the three men who died succumbed to heart attacks.

The South Mississippi Correctional Institution, one of three state prisons, has a capacity for 2,214 inmates, according to the Mississippi Department of Correction's Web site. Ron King, the prison superintendent, refused to answer questions about the prisoners' health and directed questions to the state agency's three public affairs officers in Jackson. They did not return messages left Sunday on their office voice mail.

Gilley identified the three men who had died of heart attacks as Edward Johnson, 64, who died Monday at the prison hospital; Henry Lee Williamson, 44, who died Tuesday at the prison hospital and Randall, Laughter, 49, who died Wednesday at a Jackson County Hospital.

The men had pre-existing conditions that made them susceptible to heart attacks, Gilley said.

I-Care
03-15-2005, 04:53 AM
I also have HEARD that 4 "Loved One's" at CMCF died within a week but cannot get any info on this to document it. I was told a 31, 35 and 61 yr. old lady and a man whom I THINK I was told was 45 ( not sure of his age). This occurred about a month ago maybe a little more. Anyone have any info on this or know how to research this??

THANKS
"I-CARE"

Belle03
03-15-2005, 01:39 PM
I don't know anything for sure, but I did hear about 2 women dieing from heart attacks at CMCF on the same morning. I heard this about a month ago.

Belle03