View Full Version : Has any Canadian filled out a visitation form to visit a US federal prison?

03-11-2005, 12:50 PM
I have to fill one out to see a friend of mine and just have a question.

Question #6 (on my form) asks if I am a US Citizen, which I will of course say "no". It then asks for my alien registration number if I am not a US citizen. It also mentions a passport number, but I don't have a passport and I don't know what an alien registration number is. Should I just leave that area blank??? Or maybe enter my Canadian social insurance number?? Thank you.

03-11-2005, 04:03 PM
I have filled one out. I was stumped on that question as well, so I phoned my lawyer and the prison. They told me not to worry about it and just leave it.

03-11-2005, 04:12 PM
I was stumped on it as well lol. I just put a N/A in the alien area (since I believe they are assuming that you are residing in the U.S. but not a citizen, and therefore have alien status, and not taking into consideration that you might be a non-U.S. citizen that is simply visiting the country as well as the inmate) I put my social insurance number in the spot where they asked for the social security number. Everything went fine with mine. :)

Best of luck to you! :)

03-12-2005, 03:13 PM
I have filled out a few of these over the years. I just put N/A and in brackets put Canadian citizen/Canadian Resident.
You shouldn't have a problem at all with putting this.

03-12-2005, 10:09 PM
I filled one out too and put N/A and wrote Residing in Canada. I do have a passport however so I gave that number. Make sure you put your SIN , I was refused the first time because I omitted that. Good luck

03-14-2005, 06:02 AM
Thank you everyone. Now I can fill it out and hope I get approved!!
Does anyone know how long it usually takes to find out if your approved or not?

03-14-2005, 06:33 PM
Once I submitted mine, I got an answer (through my man) that I was approved within around 1 1/2 - 2 weeks. It depends on the prison and those approving it though. Yours could be shorter, or longer. Good luck. :)

08-27-2005, 06:31 PM
hi ,my husband to be is in new york ,i filled one out and i did not put every thing on it ,i kept. back 5 old charges 2 of them jail time in canada,and i got it aproved right away ,been over 4 times ,he got real sick .i took off over there and was stioped at the boarder and havnt been back since.we have aplied for marriage,its in the process,but have been refused at the baorder ,costing us a lot of money for me to get back in ,hes been diagnosed with lung cancer and is on the move to butner in n.c for 8 months chmo,im not allowed over ,if he dies im still not allowed over, any one know any thing about butner n.c please get back ,thxs ottawa:angry:

08-28-2005, 09:18 AM
I am sooo sorry to hear that!! I wish I had some answers.....

08-28-2005, 09:28 AM
Have the peopel at the boarder provided you with any explanation as to why you have been stopped? Did it have to do with your application at the prison - or was it just your charges period?
That is unbearable. That is my worst fear because I am from Canada as well and my man is American and in a U.S. prison. If anything were to ever happen whereas I couldn't cross the boarder... I don't know what I would do.
Please stay strong...although it is much easier for me to say, then for others to do.

My prayers are with you.

09-04-2005, 09:34 AM
you just need to put in your social insurance number.Which federal prison is your friend in?

09-04-2005, 11:36 PM
I didnt have a passport and I filled out an AZ visit form and used my drivers license and did what the others did and put canadian in.. my niece did one for a federal work camp and used her birth certificate as she had no drivers license or passprot

I was reading that by december 2006 canadians will need a passport to enter the usa.. so it is time to get one,, that is why I got mine last year as I knew they would do it for security reasons as canada added new security features on theres.. driving over the border I believe you have an extra year but for plane travel they said dec 06

09-04-2005, 11:40 PM
if you have been incararted in canada they will refuse you admission to the us.. the charges can be as old as the hills but they will refuse admission.. you can apply for both a canadian and a us pardon but it is a costly process as an ex roommate of mine was refused for old possesion charges ( 14 years old and 3 weeks inside) he was told he had to get a pardon from both sides.. his birth mother was in the states and he tried to meet her for the first time and nope.. and since she has charges against her canada wont let her in,. so it is common sadly

Missin my man
10-17-2005, 05:16 PM
My guy is in Cali and when i filled out my papers, i didn't get approved cause i didn't have a passport. YOu may have to get one. good luck