View Full Version : Collect calls forwarded to cell phone

chaiteajunkie
03-06-2005, 08:21 AM
Hi everyone. Quick question.... If you forward a land line to a cell phone number and the collect call goes through are you being charged twice? One on the land line bill and then on the cell phone bill? Anyone know?

Thanks!

cnj1123
03-06-2005, 08:24 AM
You will get charged on your land line for the collect call and charged for the minutes on your cell phone.

chaiteajunkie
03-06-2005, 08:31 AM
Thanks so much! I was sooo scared that I was going to be charged twice on the land line and then on the cell phone.... That makes me feel soooo much better!! Thank you again! :D

MiaBellaAngela
03-06-2005, 09:25 AM
cnj is correct. My baby just called and we were talking on cell (not supposed to) and the call dropped! :eek: Luckily they let him call back. When he did I said "what happened?":rolleyes:

NeedMyManHome
03-06-2005, 09:29 AM
Isn't technology great? I love that he can get in touch with me no matter what. Now the hard part is remembering to put the forwarding on everytime I leave the house!!

Niightdrmr
03-06-2005, 12:06 PM
I called Sprint about this awhile back - they told me that the call is charged to your LANDLINE (home phone bill) - and you lose minutes on your cell phone- basically the call shows up on your home bill and your cell phone loses the minutes if that makes any sense!

Kelly

chaiteajunkie
03-06-2005, 12:25 PM
Thanks everyone! Technology is great. I was so worried that I would miss his calls! Losing minutes on the cell is fine, just didn't want the collect charges to go on there as well as the land line. Now I can breathe a little easier, was so worried about my cell phone bill!
Hope all of you are hanging in there. I am trying to. Just a lot has happened with him trying to settle down. Everytime we think he is staying at a jail he gets moved. I hope this is the last time they move him. It's hard for him to get a routine going all over again.
May god help us through this!

brownshuga27
03-06-2005, 01:00 PM
when i had my calls forwarded to my cell, it just deducted minutes from my cell. there was never a charge on my home phone bill. but usually you are charged for the collect call on your home phone, and minutes for that call are deducted from your cell phone.

sdylan06
03-08-2005, 03:42 PM
i have been going crazy trying to find a way to get my calls directly to my cell phone. I understand the whole forwarding thing, but i don't live on my own and i can't forward the calls for the sake of everyone else in my house! you can call correctinal billing services and they will set up a pre-paid acct. for your cell phone, you'll get a separate bill for that, but then your man can call you directly to your cell. that works 80% of the time though, depending on what carrier the prison uses. my man's at north central and they use mci, which majorly sucks!!! mci is one of the few carriers that absoluely won't let collect calls from the prisons come to the cell phones. if anyone knows a way to get around this, i desperately am trying to find a way!! thank you!

4MyBabyBoy
03-08-2005, 03:45 PM
yup i do it all the time. my mans calls are through MCI as well, i use call forwarding and never have a problem. their technically is no way for them to know that the call has been forwarded and it shouldnt matter, it is still being paid for. there's no difference.

sdylan06
03-09-2005, 08:19 AM
but i'm trying to find a way to get the calls directly to the cell phone without forwarding them. i can't forward them, my people won't let me, i want the calls to come straight to the cell, but it has to be thru mci, is this possible?

tomsfriend
03-09-2005, 04:39 PM
Federal might be different than state, but I was thinking of forwarding to my cell until some else at Taft had their phone privileges to that number cancelled because the person said something during the call or background sounds in the call showed that she was in a grocery store - so they knew it was cell - and since we are technically not allowed to forward calls to a cell they cancelled priveleges.

terri35
03-09-2005, 04:55 PM
HI! i REALLY DON'T KNOW EITHER. i REALLY WASN'T EVEN SURE YOU COULD DO THAT. IS IT LEGAL? MY SONS FATHER IS IN HAMILTON MAIN UNIT. MY SON IS IN CHILDRENS HOSPITAL .HAD A BONE MARROW TRANSPLANT IN FEB. WE CAN'T TALK TO HIM CAUSE THE HOSPITAL NUMBER IS NOT ON LIST. DO YOU HAVE ANY INFO?
]

THANKS TERRI35

MiaBellaAngela
03-09-2005, 05:14 PM
Federal might be different than state, but I was thinking of forwarding to my cell until some else at Taft had their phone privileges to that number cancelled because the person said something during the call or background sounds in the call showed that she was in a grocery store - so they knew it was cell - and since we are technically not allowed to forward calls to a cell they cancelled priveleges.Yes when I am outside I saw I am in the front yard (on home cordless phone)and I don't answer if I am in a store. If I am inside my car and it is stopped and there is background noise from outside I say it is TV.:rolleyes: I feel weird about that but sometimes if I do not forward the call, he won't get another call at all and then we have no talks.:(

TheEnigmaOfLife
03-09-2005, 07:19 PM
Hmmm this is something I will really need to figure out. I never allow anyone to call my house as it technically is not my house. I live with and take care of my grandmother whom is 89 and has Alzhiemers. My ex had my cell and would always call me on that since White Deer and FPC Schuylkill they must pay for their calls instead of them being collect, but now that I am starting over again, should I find a connection this may be a problem! Grrrrrr!:blah: :mad:

~Nikki~

NeedMyManHome
03-09-2005, 07:26 PM
There are companies that will allow you to set up a pre paid account and allow him to call your cell. I know it costs more, but it is possible. You might want to try T-Netix.

jbsgirl
03-09-2005, 07:51 PM
ok i have a question ...my man mentioned to me that I needed to get a cell phone with a 910 area code number so it will be a local call for him ....and that would save me money ...the rate i guess would drop or something? I am not sure at all what the heck he was talking about . Any clue what hes trying to say? lol I live in another state so its major long distance thru correctional billing and he calls his parents who are local to him for only like 5 bucks ...mine are 14 ....

daphf27
03-10-2005, 09:11 AM
I got a prepaid cell phone from Virgin Mobile, just bought it at the store, and when I activated it they let me put in any zip code to get a local number in that area. That's how I have an Atlanta number and I live in AL. The only phones I know of that you can do this with are Virgin Mobile and TracFone, both prepaid, but there may be others.
I also have a prepaid account with Correctional Billing straight to my cell, so all i pay for is a local collect call (1.75 in my area) and my cell minutes.
Hope this helps.

slcmr
11-07-2005, 10:00 AM
I don't know but I like the fact that my husband can call me and I have already prepaid for it

Lisa M. Mason
slcmr

Ruddsgrl1
11-07-2005, 03:03 PM
for now till I can get phone transferred here at my parents' house then I will know who is calling me yeah! But for now yes that is how it is done for me and it does work well. I have talked to my Baby about 6-7 times that way it is simple really just have to have calls forwarded to cell phone through phone company it is easy.

Ruddsgrl1

love14
11-07-2005, 07:42 PM
no when you foward it from your land line to your cell phone you are only charged once on your land line bill. But the calls do count against your minutes on your cell phone.

Letty:p