View Full Version : Oklahoma Pardon and Parole Board Tips & Help

freckledgrl
03-03-2005, 10:48 PM
Looking through the forum, it seems the biggest question that keeps coming up is how to handle parole reviews, jackets, early release, etc. And there's lots of great info here spread out in different posts.

I thought it might be good to have a place where you can put your best advice, tips, and how-tos. I myself don't have any experience with parole yet, so I'll leave this open to all you packet/jacket geniuses to run with :D

Best wishes to anyone reading this who is looking at the possiblility of a loved one paroling!

Freckles

**If you ever need any info here that you've posted in the past updated or changed to be current, just send me a PM and I'll fix it up!

ldysirois
03-10-2005, 10:21 AM
Ok this ins't a tip but something I have done again! I sent another set of packets to the parole brd BEING I don't even think they read my son's, this is x2 now, I also sent a letter to internal affairs, and the GOV. BRAD HENRY, for I got a copy of there report after my son's first hearing and found things WRONG! So I'm raiseing cane again, because they say if there info is wrong you can request another hearing! Well see!Or there going to get piles and piles of paper work from ME!

JCbeast
03-10-2005, 06:28 PM
Ok this ins't a tip but something I have done again! I sent another set of packets to the parole brd BEING I don't even think they read my son's, this is x2 now, I also sent a letter to internal affairs, and the GOV. BRAD HENRY, for I got a copy of there report after my son's first hearing and found things WRONG! So I'm raiseing cane again, because they say if there info is wrong you can request another hearing! Well see!Or there going to get piles and piles of paper work from ME!
It would be easier for you if you simply had your son request a review of his jacket and have him make sure that his work evaluations, program completions, disiplinary history and his file were in order. You could help his chances by having him a pre release plan ready. Be looking to get him employed, where he will live. and how you are going to support him upon his release and reentry into society. If you want to make a impression with the board and make it significantly cheaper and easier on yourself than show how you are going to aid the state in his supervision when he is released. Some people may hesitate in recomending a inmate to parole if he has no plan upon his release. You stand a greater chance of success for parole if you show that you have a plan rather than throwing a bunch of "packets" at the parole board. If they have 300 plus inmates to look at how much time do you think they have to look at your "Packets"?.

If you want to improve your sons chances for parole than i suggest you approach this differently than sending them "Packets" and letters that may or may not be read and taken into account. Make sure he is cleaned up (haircut, shave etc) The pardon and parole board is there to determine if someone is ready to be released from prison it is not about guilt or innocence. Make sure that your son is by his appearance etc is a person that needs to be released and see if you have more success than sending "packets"

ldysirois
03-10-2005, 09:57 PM
Thanks for your info, BUT my son is clean cut has a home "which he owns" has 2 jobs waiting for him and his own car. We did show this to the brd BUT there is other info on the report that was wrong that we had Know idea about until he was denied. He's a V/O so know one was allow at his jacket hearing.And it never made a 2nd, hearing because of WRONG INFO! It showed No home, NO job, NO crap! And I my self made all this info and him to the BRD!!! So why wasn't it put on the records? OH and a WHOLE town standing behind him for moral support OR what ever my son my need TO include the PD DEPT.

JCbeast
03-11-2005, 10:14 PM
whThanks for your info, BUT my son is clean cut has a home "which he owns" has 2 jobs waiting for him and his own car. We did show this to the brd BUT there is other info on the report that was wrong that we had Know idea about until he was denied. He's a V/O so know one was allow at his jacket hearing.And it never made a 2nd, hearing because of WRONG INFO! It showed No home, NO job, NO crap! And I my self made all this info and him to the BRD!!! So why wasn't it put on the records? OH and a WHOLE town standing behind him for moral support OR what ever my son my need TO include the PD DEPT.What was the wrong info. I have personally observed violent offenders make parole with miscondcuts and other things in thier file. I would have to know what type of wrong info you are talking about

billysbaybee200
03-11-2005, 10:31 PM
I have a question..........I have heard and would like to know for certain.....is it true that the job offers the inmate has and the place where he will reside have to be in the same county? What is the counties are side by side?

ldysirois
03-12-2005, 08:33 AM
If the job offer is out of his/her county most parole officers will over look that because they know they have to work, best to just check with the PO.

JCbeast
03-12-2005, 10:56 AM
I have a question..........I have heard and would like to know for certain.....is it true that the job offers the inmate has and the place where he will reside have to be in the same county? What is the counties are side by side?
Probation and Parole is broken down into individual districts. Sometimes these districts cover more than one county. For instance if a inmate had a job in oklahoma city and his home were in Cleveland county that might not be a problem if his job and home were for instance in District one. i know that for instance if a inmate were to get a home offer in Chickasha and a job in lawton that might fall into district 7 etc. If you go the the DOC website and look at the community corrections section you will see the districts and that might help you understand it better:idea:

tongdye
03-16-2005, 05:15 PM
Anybody have the addresses of Okla. Parole Board members??

ldysirois
03-16-2005, 06:22 PM
Look under " Oklahoma Pardon and Paorle" and on there web site is a area that has all that info.

myjames
03-23-2005, 06:06 PM
It would be easier for you if you simply had your son request a review of his jacket and have him make sure that his work evaluations, program completions, disiplinary history and his file were in order. You could help his chances by having him a pre release plan ready. Be looking to get him employed, where he will live. and how you are going to support him upon his release and reentry into society. If you want to make a impression with the board and make it significantly cheaper and easier on yourself than show how you are going to aid the state in his supervision when he is released. Some people may hesitate in recomending a inmate to parole if he has no plan upon his release. You stand a greater chance of success for parole if you show that you have a plan rather than throwing a bunch of "packets" at the parole board. If they have 300 plus inmates to look at how much time do you think they have to look at your "Packets"?.

If you want to improve your sons chances for parole than i suggest you approach this differently than sending them "Packets" and letters that may or may not be read and taken into account. Make sure he is cleaned up (haircut, shave etc) The pardon and parole board is there to determine if someone is ready to be released from prison it is not about guilt or innocence. Make sure that your son is by his appearance etc is a person that needs to be released and see if you have more success than sending "packets"

I'm new to this forum and was wondering what packet are you all talking about. My husband has been put on min. security recently and I was hoping to try to get him up for early parole. Where do I find the packet?

myjames
03-23-2005, 06:07 PM
Anybody have the addresses of Okla. Parole Board members??
If you go to the pardon and parole board in Oklahoma, it has a list of members.
www.ppb.state.ok.us/about/current-PPB-members.htm (http://www.ppb.state.ok.us/about/current-PPB-members.htm)

wannamae
03-25-2005, 12:41 AM
Terry Jenks, Director
First National Center
120 N. Robinson Ave., Suite 900W
Oklahoma City, OK 73102
Phone: (405) 602-5863
Fax: (405) 602-6437

When corresponding with board members, please include the following information regarding the inmate you are writing about on the backside of the Envelope and on the Letter: Please DO NOT send registered mail. Name and DOC Number (Inmate #)
Docket Date (Month and Year)
Type of Docket (Parole/Special Review)
Please include any other pertinent
information you may have, in the letter.

Ms. Susan B. Loving
P.O. Box 7320
Edmond, OK 73083

Mr. James M. Brown, Sr. - Chairperson
P.O. Box 1814
McAlester, OK 74502

Ms. Lynnell Harkins
P.O. Box 20547
Oklahoma City, OK 73156

Mr. Clinton Johnson-Vice Chairperson
P.O. Box 18594
Oklahoma City, OK 73154

Mr. Richard L. Dugger
P.O. Box 20623
Oklahoma City, OK 73156-0623

If you go to the pardon and parole board in Oklahoma, it has a list of members.
www.ppb.state.ok.us/about/current-PPB-members.htm (http://www.ppb.state.ok.us/about/current-PPB-members.htm)

ldysirois
03-27-2005, 09:25 AM
Wondering about JD Daniels, after all he is about the only one I here that will answer a letter. I'm sure his office is on N. Robinson in OKC but wonder what sutie?

wannamae
03-27-2005, 03:09 PM
Wondering about JD Daniels, after all he is about the only one I here that will answer a letter. I'm sure his office is on N. Robinson in OKC but wonder what sutie?

contact JD Daniels at (405) 427-8601

J.D. Daniels jd.daniels@ppb.state.ok.us

Or the administration??
3400 Martin Luther King Avenue
Oklahoma City, OK 73111-4298
P.O. Box 11400
Oklahoma City, OK 73136-0400
Phone: (405) 425-2722
Fax: (405) 425-7216

I would think its the same as the Board address.
:D

wannamae
03-31-2005, 01:26 PM
JD DAniels # 405-602-5863/

If you tried the old # it will give you the new # but he is out of office till Monday.

billysbaybee200
04-30-2005, 07:47 PM
After much searching I finally found what I needed and this answers it all!!! Good Luck to all working on parole packets!

OK-CURE’s GUIDELINES FOR PREPARING PAROLE PACKETS

*While these guidelines were prepared as a response to people on the outside wanting to
know how to help an incarcerated loved one with parole, we want to stress that a determined inmate can successfully prepare their own packet and parole plan with
little or no outside help. We pray these suggestions are helpful to any parole hopeful.

1. Begin NOW to keep a file for parole, even if parole is years away:
A. Encourage your incarcerated loved one to stay out of trouble to the best of
their ability, to successfully complete as many available programs as
possible, and to earn consistently good evaluations.
B. Have them send completion program certificates, monthly evaluations,
quarterly reviews and any other positive documents home. (for example, my
husband received several “Tutor of the Month” awards).
C. Keep a running list of names, addresses, and phone numbers of every person who might write a letter of recommendation to the parole board. Keep those people up-to-date on your loved one’s situation, perhaps with an annual letter or phone call, so they will retain interest in him over the years. The list may include former teachers, employers, employees, neighbors, legislators, family members and people from the sentencing court. The people who write don’t have to know your loved one personally; they can know him through you.
D. If your loved one gets a write-up, have them send home a copy with the details. Often, the write-ups, like the charges, involve circumstances that the words on the write-up don’t convey. It does not hurt to explain the circumstances and consequences to the parole board. Oklahomans are paying a lot of tax money to further “punish” inmates for very minor or non-existent infractions. When this is the case, it doesn’t hurt to explain to the parole board.
2. About a year before parole, begin gathering the items you want to include in the
packet. You will need 8 copies: 1 for each of the 5 Board members, 1 to put in the
inmate’s permanent file at the Parole Board office, 1 for the Governor’s office, and 1
for yourself. The Board is interested in reasons why your loved one deserves parole.
Here are some suggestions:
A They want to see a strong support system and plans for a smooth
reintegration. Devote a section of your packet to presenting your system
and plan. Your system may consist of family, friends, church, and/or special
group: anyone committed to the success of your loved one. If the group is
“just you,” that’s OK. Even a determined inmate without a support system
can devise a successful reentry plan.
1. Make copies of pictures of the people who will be the support system for
your loved one so the Board can “get to know them.” Include copies of
any documents that show their relationship to the inmate (for example,
my husband helped me homeschool our children. I have copies of his
assignments, etc.) You might even include pictures of your home.
2. Try to find at least two job offers for your loved one. Ask the prospective
employers to write letters validifying and describing the job offers.
3. If the charges are related to substance abuse, consider developing a plan
with your loved one for him to go from prison to a place designed to help
him be successful. (There’s a small list of such places listed at the end).
B. They want to see a good prison record. Devote a section of your packet to
showing the Board what your inmate has accomplished while in prison. This
could include program completion certificates, school records, monthly
evaluations, quarterly reviews, awards, special activities…anything positive.
C. Don’t hesitate to include information that the court and prison records may
not show. I was advised that the Board is not a jury to decide your loved one’s guilt or innocence. However, both the Board’s attorney, Carey Pirrong, and former Board member Susan Bussey said they are interested in knowing any facts that suggest the punishment did not fit the crime.
D. About six months before parole, contact every person who might write a
letter of recommendation. You should send each one a letter asking them to
write, making suggestions of what to include in their letters, and a date for
them to be returned to you at least two months before the hearing. You might
include a sample letter, but encourage them to write in their own words from
their hearts. They need to include how they know the inmate, how long they
have known him, how they will help when he is released (if they are going
to), and every reason why he should be paroled. They also need to include
their address and phone number. If you can afford to, include a self-
addressed, stamped envelope. Mark your calendar for the expected return
date. Call or write them a week before to remind them, and follow up with
another letter or call if they fail to get the letter to you by the specified date.
It may be helpful to make a personal visit to some of the people you ask.

3. Some general suggestions and guidelines follow:
A. Call the Board for rules for submitting your packet or get them off the
Internet.
B. Be respectful, be concise, be accurate, be creative, be courageous, be
organized. An outline, dividers, and tabs help the Board find pertinent
information quickly. If you need help, call one of the local colleges and ask
for a composition tutor to help with the writing and outline. It won’t be
nearly as expensive as hiring a lawyer.
C. Be aware that your packet must fit into a 10 x 13” envelope.
D. Take extra time with your own letter of recommendation. As the person doing
the packet, you are the person with the most knowledge and passion about the
inmate. Follow your heart.
E. A Parole Investigator will “interview” the parole candidate about two months
before the parole hearing date. Ours recommended that parole not be
considered even though rehabilitation was evident. This is why a packet is
important. Without it, the Board has nothing else to go by. Mail your packet
no more than a month before the hearing date and no less than three weeks
before.
F. A general rule of thumb is to keep a low profile about parole at the facility
where the parole candidate is being held.

OK-CURE’s How to prepare for Parole Hearings

If you don’t know when someone is due to come up for parole you can either check with the Pardon & Parole office at 405-602-5863 or check the DOC website under offender information. http://www.doc.state.ok.us/DOCS/offender_info.htm If the date reads 99/9999 it could mean Parole staff has removed the offender from consideration as the offender is within 90 days of release from the parole docket. The offender would not have enough time to serve to process a parole recommendation.

Life without Parole has no formal procedure establish for an offender to request Commutation. The only system available would be to write to the Parole Board Members requesting
consideration.

Medical Parole must have the approval of DOC’s medical and the Warden at the facility before the offender can be considered.

Any offender can discuss commutation when the inmate is being interviewed by the investigator. This means for example if inmate has life they can ask for a commutation to numbers such as 30 years. Whenever an offender is being considered for any form of clemency (i.e. parole or commutation) if a victim requests notification, we have to notify them at least 10 days before review of the offender.

If this is not the inmate’s first time to go before the parole board, we would suggest that you contact the Pardon & Parole’s General Counsel and ask to review the file. Under Oklahoma’s Open Records Act anyone can check on any parole jacket. You can read what the parole investigator wrote or anyone else for that matter. The only information that can’t be received would be anything regarding the victim. If there is something wrong in the jacket that the inmate believe is the reason they were turn down for parole then they can ask for it to be corrected and to be brought up before the board. (For the record we do not know anyone that has been successful at this)

Pardon and Parole Board members are appointed, 3 by the Governor, 1 by the Chief Justice of the State Supreme Court, and 1 by the presiding Judge of the Court of Criminal Appeals. When corresponding with board members, please include the name and DOC# of the inmate you are writing about. The Docket date (month and year) Type of Docket (Parole, Special Review) and any other pertinent information. Chairperson Ms. Susan B. Loving P.O. Box 7320 Edmond, OK 73083;ViceChair Mr. James M. Brown, Sr.P.O. Box 1814 McAlester, OK 74502; Mr. Richard L Dugger, P.O. Box 20623, Oklahoma City, OK 73156; Mr. Clinton Johnson P.O. Box 18594 Oklahoma City, OK 73154; and Ms Lynnell Harkins, P.O. Box 20547, Oklahoma City, OK 73156. Parole Board Office (The Parole Board members do not have an office there.) First National Center, 120 N Robinson Ave. #900W, Oklahoma City Ok 73102, phone 405-602-5863. If you have something you want filed in your parole jacket send the information to the same address. http://www.ppb.state.ok.us/

Board Meeting Information Admittance to the facility is subject to all laws and departmental regulations governing prison security. Admittance may be restricted when the individual, poses a potential threat to the security of the institution, or to the safety or security of the meeting, or threatens by words or actions to disrupt the meeting. All persons admitted to the facility are subject to search, and the facility’s dress code will be enforced. Persons who have been released from the custody of supervision of the Department of Corrections within the last 180 days will not be admitted. Only two people will be admitted to the Board meeting. Only one will be allowed to speak on behalf of an inmate. We would like to advise anyone can attend parole hearings as an observer under the open meeting law, as long as you are not a delegate for that hearing time.

Jacket Review Inmates – Delegations appearing for jacket review inmates should exit the room immediately after speaking. They can not find out results till Tuesday after the hearings. Only non-violent offenders can have delegates at a jacket review. Violent offenders must wait till 2nd stage to have a delegate.

Personal Appearance Inmates – The inmate will be seated directly in front of the microphone. The inmate’s delegate will be seated next to the inmate. The other guest will sit in the audience area. An administrative staff person will ask the inmate to state their name and DOC number, and will then read your current offenses and sentence information from the record and ask you if the information is correct. The staff person will ask you to tell the Board about your program participation since being incarcerated in the Department of Corrections. They will then ask you about your conduct record for the last year. Then they will ask you to introduce your delegate(s) if any are with you. Your delegate will then make his/her two minute presentation to the Board. The Chairperson will then ask the other members of the Board if they wish to ask any questions of you or your delegate(s).

When addressing the Board, remarks should be brief and to the point. Presentations by delegates are limited to two minutes. A timer will be set. When you hear the timer go off, please complete your statement as quickly as possible. Inmates will be removed from the meeting area immediately following the interview. The delegate may remain in the meeting room until after the vote. Persons remaining in the meeting room are prohibited from addressing the Board after the vote. They are also prohibited from seeing the inmate after the vote. For security reasons Delegates are prohibited from conveying the Board’s decision to the offender (no signaling or passing messages to offenders from the same facility). Allowing delegates to witness the vote is a privilege. Please do not abuse this and impact yourself and/or other families. If you do not understand the vote or have questions, please call the Pardon and Parole Board Administrative Office after 2:00 p.m. on the Monday following the Board meeting.

The delegate will wear a visitor badge at all times and return it prior to leaving the premises. Because of the length of the waiting period prior to seeing the Board, if possible, small children should not attend the meeting. If you must bring children, please be responsible for keeping them quiet while the Board is conducting business. To ensure a comfortable environment, smoking and loud talking are not permitted in the meeting room. Please note that new information is received throughout every meeting, which may cause the Board members to change their vote. No recommendation is final until the Pardon and Parole Board has adjourned. The Parole Board is not required to give reasons for their decisions. To obtain board’s vote, you may call after 2 PM on the Monday following the board meeting. After an inmate has received a recommendation by the board you may also call that number on any Tuesday to received status information on an inmate’s pending recommendation. If you receive a recommendation by the Parole Board with no stipulations (programs to complete prior to parole), it can take up to ninety days to process a parole to the Governor’s office. We would request that your family members call for status of the parole after 90 days. Our office only takes calls on status of paroles on Tuesday of each week. If stipulations are recommended, the file will only be processed to the Governor when the programs have been completed.

TxRenee
05-01-2005, 10:54 PM
MyJames.....
Did you understand all this about the parole stuff? Pm me if you need anything hon :)

BTW.....Send my *HUGS* to your hubby and his buddy :)

Renee

freckledgrl
05-01-2005, 11:25 PM
Awesome find, Billys!!! I've got a long way to go but I had no idea I should be having him send his evaluations home now :eek:

billysbaybee200
05-01-2005, 11:31 PM
I thought so too!!! We are coming up in September and I'm just now getting everything together so as you might expect, it's chaotic at best around here.
Awesome find, Billys!!! I've got a long way to go but I had no idea I should be having him send his evaluations home now :eek:

freckledgrl
05-01-2005, 11:41 PM
Well, with digging skills like that, I think you'll do just fine ;)

billysbaybee200
05-02-2005, 06:39 AM
Thanks for the confidence, I surely need someone to have it in me......lol :o I feel like I'll never get it done and it isn't good enough so please take my advice, do start now, don't wait.
Well, with digging skills like that, I think you'll do just fine ;)

wannamae
05-12-2005, 04:58 PM
JCbeast, I have been reading through some of the post and thought maybe you could answer a question or steer me in the right direction.
My husband just had a jacket review, he was denied. And they have scheduled the next parole date for 2008. Why would they do this? What happened to the year 2006?
He would have had to do 27 flat years, has done 16 and cant catch a break. He has done over half. He was rebilled(whatever that means) in 2002.
Doesnt that have an effect on the time remaining?
He had the choice of two places to live, a job, and support from family and friends.
If anyone else can answer please do.

whWhat was the wrong info. I have personally observed violent offenders make parole with miscondcuts and other things in thier file. I would have to know what type of wrong info you are talking about

ldysirois
05-17-2005, 08:57 AM
Sorry Wannamae I don't have a answer for ya, But your asking the right person JC She is a smart person in this area, she has gave some really good points.

wannamae
05-17-2005, 11:17 AM
Thanks Ldysirois.

billysbaybee200
07-12-2005, 03:01 PM
If you have consecutive sentences and you fully serve one out in prison and move to the next, how much of the next one do you have to serve before becoming eligible for parole again?

blondrebel
08-18-2005, 07:20 PM
So after reading that i am still lost. Are you telling me that say Robert comes for parole in November, it will be 90 days before we know the outcome, then how long before he is home after that if its aproved?

billysbaybee200
08-18-2005, 08:24 PM
If he passes stage 1 (jacket hearing) he will move to stage 2 (personal hearing) which will occur about 30 days after the jacket, if he passes that which you could know as early as that day or as late as the following Monday, then it is moved to the governor's desk where it will lay for at least another 30 days so yes it will be 60- 90 days at the minimum...and do not count your chickens until the governor has said yes because he is vetoing right and left right now. But from my understanding once the governor signs off on it, they have 48 or 72 hours to release you. Now this is my understanding of things, if I am wrong, feel free to correct me.

blondrebel
08-18-2005, 09:33 PM
well shoot, this gets worse and worse all the time. i hoped he would be home before christmas. my ignorant idea was that when they said yes, you were sent home that day. nothing ever seams to go right for me. i hate this shit. it feels like my heart was just torn from me again. i wonder why the gov is vetoing everything right now. you would think he would wanna fix the overcrowding issue. i am begining to loose hope. :(

blondrebel
08-18-2005, 09:40 PM
so when they say parole date is november 2005 is that the jacket hearing or what i dont understand how it all works. but thanks to you i think i am learning.

billysbaybee200
08-18-2005, 09:57 PM
Jacket hearing first yes, so then if he passes that, it would be a personal appearance in December most likely and then it will take approx a month, but I know a girl who's man waited 2 months to get there, so at least January, he is suposed to have 30 days but he has the option to hold them for further reveiw and has been doing some that way so you are looking at probably at least the end of February or early March.
I wish I could give you better news but this is the way it's been running....and if this is your man's first time up for parole...please don't get your hopes up too high, very few make it the first time they try.
Don't lose hope girl, we have all been there at one time, my man has been in for 12 years and we got taken off the parole docket this month because he starts a new case and now they are saying he may have to serve 10 years before we come up again....you can make it!!! Hang on tight, the Oklahoma DOC will give you a ride you'll never forget!!

lylyjones
08-18-2005, 10:17 PM
my husband just did the parole process. when the opportunity arises for someone to speak to the board rather they allow the inmate or an advocate, they want to hear future plans. they DO NOT CARE ABOUT FAMILY OR NEED, i stress that. they will give u a paper when u get there with guidelines on what they want to hear, unfortunately that is a little too late to prepare so here is what it told us. i must add that i didn't do this personally because i am another state and couldn't go so my husbands mom went and here is what she told me they wanted. i must stress this too. THEY DO NOT WANT TO DOWNPLAY THE CRIME!!!!!!!! even if ur loved one only stole a case of bubble gum to them that is just as bad as murder! they want to know if the inmate/convict has a home, job, a plan for the future. they want to know what he has accomplished, if he/she has gotten any education or is planning education. if the convict has a plan for rehab or meetings if needed. the parole board can be brutal. they will cut u off in mid sentence if they want to. they give u 2 mins to speak and not a second longer. they can and will ask u questions if they fill they need to. they did not ask my mom in law any but she covered the entire outline they gave her. u will find out what the boards recommendation is on the following tuesday after 2 pm. they were nice to me when i called and checked. then they did his home visit i think it was about a month later or so. once all that paper work was done it went back to the parole board where they looked over it and then put it in a "pile" (yes that says a pile and that was their exact words). when the pile gets big enough it goes to the govenor. i am sorry to tell u that i cannot tell u how big "enough" is. they couldn't tell me that either. then the pile goes to the govenor. in our case the website said on monday the 8th it was there but somehow on tues the 9th it wasn't then reappeared on thurs the 11th. go figure. the site says it can take a month but they told my mom in law today it can go up to 6o days. once the govenor approves it they have 48-72 hrs to release the inmate. i have also been told that the inmate does not find out until no earlier then 48 hrs prior. that is for basically the safety of the inmate. they don't want other inmates provoking the soon to be released inmate. causing other write ups and charges. the govenors decision can be changed if the inmate has recieved write ups or charges while the parole is on his desk. if there are other questions i can be emailed or pmed. i will do my best to answer or get u in the right direction. i will let u know how long before the govenor decides on my husbands it has only been on his desk 10 days as of now. i hope i helped.

lylyjones
08-18-2005, 10:29 PM
i wanted to add to that we have been told u cannot parole to a home that u live alone in. u may own ur own home but someone else must reside there with u. the person living with u must not be on parole or probation unless it is an immediate relative e.g. mom, dad, wife, etc. plus when they do the home check they do not call ahead of time to set it up. if no one is home then they come back but they do not keep repeatedly coming back. i don't know how many tries they make before the deny the home offer.

ItsMichelle
08-19-2005, 08:51 AM
lylyjones, thanks for sharing this new information!

docwatchdog
08-19-2005, 04:47 PM
blondrebel
First it depends on if your love one is in on a violent or non violent offense. If it is non violent then he would only go before the parole board once, & that would be in Nov. They would have to then do the paperwork and the home visit. That could be any where from Dec to May to get out. THe Governor only has 30 days to sign once it gets to his office, most of the time the paperwork is in DOC's hands.

If he is a violent offender. THen it is a 2 stage thing as they have said above. A jacket only review. That is why it is so important to put together a good packet in order to get the in person review the next month. THe inmate can speak as well as 1 other person. Before the board votes the inmate must leave the room the other person can stay and hear the vote. That way the family finds out right then what the results are.

when you leave you can not signal anyone or any other inmates as to what the results are. THe inmate can call you once they are returned to their facility.

blondrebel
08-19-2005, 06:22 PM
Ok, new problem, he and i arnt married and i am on a 3 year defered sentance myself. I will be on probation for almost anouther year, for a non violent offence (if that matters). What about common-law, could that count in this situation? Could we claim common-law marrage and that work to defray the probation issue since it would be imidiate family if i was his common-law wife? How long before Nov will they do the home visit?

blondrebel
08-19-2005, 06:24 PM
Congrats by the way, y'all seam to have been the only ones to get me motivated to get off my lazy ass and do something with this house! I havent wanted to work on it for shit lately. Thanks!

blondrebel
08-19-2005, 06:27 PM
what all do they look for in the home visit? i heard you cant have stuff like budwieser collectables, guns, knifes, rebel flags, stuff like that??????

docwatchdog
08-19-2005, 08:05 PM
The home visit wouldn't be until after the parole board gives its approval. If they don't then there won't be a home visit. Plus it would be before the paperwork goes to the GOvernor. Guns are a big no, no. It will be against the law for him to even be in a car where there is a gun much less living in a house with one. Alcohol is also a no, no. The rebel flag I don't know that it is a no no, but keep in mind the person doing the home visit could be black and be offended. and turn down the home offer. They don't really tell you when they are coming as they would want to catch you off guard.

lafngator
08-22-2005, 07:05 PM
So if you are not notified as of a date of the home inspection then what does one do that works 8-5 and there is no one home for them to do the inspection? What if your child is at home will they still do the home visit? I have heard if it is a non violent, first time offense then the inmate does not go before the parole board, I'm not sure how true this is but guess we will find out in about a year. It's been a long time coming and I'm ready for it all to be over.

blondrebel
08-22-2005, 09:12 PM
Well i learned something today. The home visit is done by the local parole officer and you do have to be home. They onely make a few attempts before the offer is denied. I am not sure about the answers to your questions, but i found out from my man's caseworker that the things they look for are weapons, drugs, alcohol, number of people in the home vs. number of rooms- space for the person. The type of neighborhood, they also interview you to get an impression of what kind of people live in the home. He said they have to be positive there is no criminal activity going on in the home and it would be a stable well set up living arrangement for the inmate. Needs to be food in the home, all utilitys must be on, it has to be clean, and comfortable. Most of this i dont understand, it sounds like they are placing a child in your home, they dont give them as nice a place as what they expect from you. Anouther thing i learned today is that if the inmate is concidered violent and they dont make parole its anouther 3 years before they come up again. If they are nonviolent then its every year. They have to have a good behavior record for at least 6 months before parole or their chances are slim to none. I dont know if this will help anyone but its what i learned today. For once i learned something on my own!

okiesis
08-22-2005, 09:23 PM
my fiance comes up for parole in Dec. of 2006 what needs to be done? He was talking like they might move him to a halfway house with a bracelet. What is that about? Need help! Okiesis

lafngator
08-24-2005, 06:25 PM
okiesis I believe if he is getting the bracelet he may be coming home on the leg monitor. I don't know much about that and we haven't went to a 1/2 way house but we are at a community center and they do have 1/2 beds there and if one is open when he comes up I believe we can stay right where we are at. This is the closes he has been to us so I want to keep it that way. It seems like the lower levels they get to (min, community, work centers, 1/2, etc.) the harder it is on them or should I say the facility is harder on them. My fiance' some times wishes he would have stayed where he was at min. It's been heck every since we left there. But we are making it. It just gets crazier and crazier everywhere you go. We come up for parole in Oct. of 06 and I'm counting it down, I really don't expect him home til Feb of 07 if he makes parole cause I know they like to take their slow sweet time. But ya all know next year is re-election for Gov. so I just wonder how that will effect the Gov. signing those parole papers.

okiesis
08-25-2005, 01:36 AM
lafngator, thanks for the info he just said they talked about it with him I suppose. My fiance is in a work center as of this moment and we are counting down the days, but he has prepared me that when he goes up for parole that it will be 2007 before they actually release him. My fiance said they were harder on him at the work center than in min., told him to keep his cool, so he has been trying so hard to be good. He's ready to come home as I am ready for him.Thanks again and lots of luck to you to.

lafngator
08-30-2005, 07:38 PM
Yea if my fiance' makes parole it will be in 07' before he actually comes home to. Cause you know they are gonna take all the time they need. My fiance' said that I will know when the parole people are coming cause they will contact you. I mean it doesn't make no since for them to try to come to a home were people work and there isn't gonna be no one home. I can't even remember how many days you have to have before your eligible for the leg monitor, I just remember it is right before he comes up for parole, but say he is out on the monitor he still goes up for parole and then he makes parole you do parole day for day unlike the monitor you still get your 3 for 1 is my understanding. I'll have to contact my aunt cause her man is out on the monitor right now. I'm really not sure how it works. I guess I try to block it all out until it gets closer, close enough to have to start worry about it. It's been crazy for us since March. So I just take it a day at a time. PTO and his letters and our one day visit on the weekends is what has gotten me thru all of this. I am so thankful I found this place and him. There really is a GOD.

lylyjones
09-06-2005, 11:32 AM
the home visit isn't anything to really get worked up about or to worry about. my husband must parole to okc before getting transferred home with me in maryland and when they did the home visit they never left the living room. they asked his step father if he had a bed and if there were any weapons in the house. they sat at the dinning room table wrote down a few things and left. you may want to try to call and see if u can set up or get an idea of what time they may come out or even let them know what the work schedule is for you so they can make arrangements. i dont' know if they will or not but with the state so over crowded they may be more incline to work it out. as for half way houses i do know carver in okc has had many beds empty for a few weeks and have just now started filling them. so i hope that they can get ur man moved. and yes if they are on a bracelet the convict does get his levels still. on actual parole it is day for day. for example when my husband (if) gets paroled he will have less then 300 days on parole if he went to bracelet he would discharge in dec. we are still waiting on govenor to look at his packet. it will be 30 days tomorrow the 7th of sept.

okiesis
09-11-2005, 06:00 AM
Well I went to visit and did find out a few things from my hubby. His parole comes up Dec. 1, 2006. He said they are talking about a leg bracelet which he is so totally against. But I do know that the work center where he is at also serves as a halfway house so if he does that at least he'll be able to stay where he's at. He is also in a few programs that are supposed to knock time off when he completes them. So far he has 30 days plus the time he served in county which was 8 months. I still am not really understanding all of this even when he explains it to me, but as long as I'm behind him I'll do everything in my power to get him home as soon as I can. If there's anything anyone can help me with I'll appreciate it. Thanks to PTO and everyone here, its made the time lots better knowing I've got someone that understands. Okiesis

ldysirois
09-11-2005, 11:19 AM
I think your talking about his levels and earned good days: Such as "if" a level 2 and there are 30 days in a month he'll get the 30 days plus a extra 22 days just for being good! So in there month thay get a total of 52 days knock off there time.
IE: has 60 days left he'll get 52 for 1 month and then he'll have 28 days left for then next month. it works out to about for ever day they can earn 2.5 days credit. Which he could do 28 days in half the time. And depending on which programs he does he can get a extra 15 days or 30 per program. Hope this helps, also the higher the level the more days they get credit.

okiesis
09-11-2005, 11:53 PM
Thanks Idysirois, that helped and he did say that he was a level 2 which I think helps. Plus he's non-violent and doing 2 programs, and he's on the work crew which helps. again thank you oh yeah he was a level 8 when he went in 3 yrs ago so I guess that's good.

docwatchdog
09-12-2005, 06:28 AM
The levels only go up to 4, that being the best and highest. You may be thinking of the security points he may have had being 8. There are some programs that don't give extra good days.

okiesis
09-12-2005, 12:59 PM
Maybe so, I'm not sure of all of this sometimes, just what he tells me. so any help is nice. thanks for the information.

lafngator
10-11-2005, 06:55 PM
I live in public housing and I was wondering if he paroles out would he be able to live with me? I know that there is some kind of law stating that anyone that holds a felony can't live in public housing but I didn't know if that had changed or not.

freckledgrl
10-12-2005, 02:47 PM
I haven't heard of that rule changing but I don't keep up on it very well. Hopefully someone else knows better, good luck!

okiesis
10-13-2005, 12:35 AM
Hi! Okay have a little information, we did get our marriage packet done now its up for approval and counseling. Also he has decided to do the ankle bracelet thing since its less time than day for day parole. They have also said something to him about a 1/2 way house after the first of the yr, hopefully somewhere closer.Still some stuff is somewhat muddled but at least I know a little more. Later, okiesis

LittleBit122769
01-08-2006, 10:16 AM
My husband comes up for parole this month for the 2nd time. I will be there again. The last packet I prepared for the board members I included my letter. I tried to focus my letter on the positive things he has done since his incarceration. When I went before the board I tried to hold my emotion. Now a year later I am writting another letter. I don't want to appear to emotional however, I believe at the hearing last year I was veiwed as cold and impersonal because I didn't break down and beg them to parole him. I want them to know that my husband is worthy of parole. If anyone has any suggestions on writting this letter and appearing before the board I would be very grateful.

docwatchdog
01-10-2006, 11:34 AM
to learn how to put a parole packet together go here

http://home.earthlink.net/~okcure/redlaw.htm

ihatethis
03-24-2006, 08:30 PM
ok I heard that they cant parole somewhere unless they have their own bedroom there?what if they are moving in with a girlfriend? are they still required to have their own room?

freckledgrl
04-18-2006, 03:36 PM
ihatethis, I'm not positive but I am guessing that if him & the girlfriend are cohabitating then that would be considered his bedroom too. I would think it's the same as paroling to a wife and a shared bed, but don't quote me on that ;) I'm sure the rule is actually there so they can't just crash on someone's couch and say it's permanent.

Stu's_Wife
06-02-2006, 10:01 PM
Will it matter if the inmates home is not in OK???

Baby Beef
11-14-2006, 05:32 PM
Oh wow... what a wild Prison world we deal with in this State. I have at least one year or more before I can even talk to the board. His date is Feb. 08 I was told by an inmate friend here In Oklahoma I should not even start to bother them till 90 days or less of Feb. 08. Is this true? Can I do anything now? Or would I be wasteing time? I dont want to write letters that are tossed in the trash ( YET) Thank you all I do learn alot from reading here!

yeouxleigh
01-24-2007, 01:17 PM
My son's name is Moses, he is at Mccleod, Atoka and should be home 2007. I have alot of questions too and need advise. Reading helps to, I know I am not alone. So how do you prepare for your son to come home after 5 years?:o

mlynnm
01-25-2007, 08:25 PM
Please keep all questions regarding Parole on the board, this thread is only for advice, tips, and how-tos.

Thank you!

livictory
03-20-2007, 12:24 PM
does anyone know how to prepare a package for pre parole, for a first time offender had a LSI that shows he is low risk for re offending and a perfect record no incidents or misconducts I have elders and my pastor ready to back this up for early parole he has been in a year and its getting hard for me with tow kids and no help thanks Lisa VVV :( :confused: :idea:

03-02-2008, 05:24 PM
does anyone know how to prepare a package for pre parole, for a first time offender had a LSI that shows he is low risk for re offending and a perfect record no incidents or misconducts I have elders and my pastor ready to back this up for early parole he has been in a year and its getting hard for me with tow kids and no help thanks Lisa VVV :( :confused: :idea:

See post #17 on this thread.

Although outdated, it serves as a good blueprint.

guvokikam
08-11-2008, 07:58 PM
Okay folks, I just got a letter and he was asking me to request a copy of his parole jacket under the Oklahoma open records act. Can I specifically do that? Any idea on where I should start?

Thanks!

guvokikam
08-12-2008, 12:30 AM
Alrighty..after a little digging in the archives section of the OK forum. I got the answer to my question. Y'know when you have that, "I gotta know" feeling its determination in motion whew!*sigh*

I will post the link here, just in case I or anyone else needs it :D

http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=151938

beachboyslover
04-05-2012, 09:06 PM
Hi all,
Im new to this site. My fiance is in the Atoka, Ok jail. He will be moved sometime in Oct. or Nov. to LARC. Anyhow...My question is does Oklahoma let prisoners out early for good behavior???

julirw
04-06-2012, 11:28 PM
Hi all,
Im new to this site. My fiance is in the Atoka, Ok jail. He will be moved sometime in Oct. or Nov. to LARC. Anyhow...My question is does Oklahoma let prisoners out early for good behavior???

Uh, yes and no.... Depends on the crime he was sentenced for, what his sentence is. Life, Life Without Parole (LWOP), X #years. Oklahoma has quite a few crimes that are 85%, including nonviolent drug crimes. This means the convicted has to serve 85% of the time before being able to earn good time. If your fella is "lucky" enough to have a sentence that is non violent and does not fall in the 85% category, is a first time offender, then yep. He can shave a boat load of time off his sentence if he keeps his nose clean, takes any classes he can, stays away from gang activity and doesn't piss off anyone who could retaliate by giving him write ups or??? He could shave off up to 2/3 of his sentence. He can also be brought up for parole before his sentence is up. The parole board wants to see someone who is doing everything they can to improve themselves and has good strong family support and a plan for the future.

beachboyslover
04-09-2012, 01:30 PM
Well the he was sentenced to 5 years but he has to serve the 85% which is now 4 years 3months. Ive never been with anybody in jail or even talked to anybody in jail so I have NO clue what to expect or what to do. This web page was told to me by a good friend that on this page too.