View Full Version : Sovereign Native Americans

TheFreeworld333
03-03-2005, 04:17 AM
Since, Native Americans are considered a Sovereign nation under the U.S. Constitution, does that mean they have diplomatic immunity? Are they still subject to U.S. laws on their own reservations? Can they allow people from different countries to inhabit their reservations with less restrictions than the U.S. imposes? Do they have their own airport or even millitary? How sovereign are Native Americans?

Wingy
03-03-2005, 04:48 AM
No, no diplomatic immunity and on the reservations The First people are subject to federal laws...that is why there was a second Wounded Knee and that is why Leonard Peltier remains incarcerated (in spite of his innocence)

The Soveriegnity of the First Nations People is challenged on a daily basis. The Federal and State governmant(s) don't honor the treaties made from first contact to the present, and continue to challenge their own words in those treaties in order to continue to steal what was never theirs. First Nations fight hard on a daily basis to keep what they have been "given" and to retain their sovriegnity. there are tons of web sites to give details if you are interested. Use a search engine and search for native american or american indian sovriegnity.

Reservations are subject to the same immigration laws as everyone else because those are federal laws. Besides that...look what happened the last time they gave safe harbor to the immigrants. There are Nations that rent land to non-indians, but, again, you would be subject to federal laws and tribal laws.

FriscoLady
03-03-2005, 05:28 PM
Wingy,

Has the Iroquois submitted? Last I heard they were issuing their own passports, etc., did not recognize the Federal government, in fact, from what I read they maintained an embassy in London, and the British Government recognized them as an independant nation.

I remember in the 1970s Canada and New York state almost had a war on their hands, when they tried to inforce their laws on the Iroquois.

What I don't understand is why so many First Americans go into the Armed Forces of the United States?

I would think that they would not want to lift a finger in defense of this nation. But, then again I am German we fought this country twiced - the first time was a just cause for Germany, the second was not, anyway my point is, I served the United States Armed Forces and I cannot justify why I served.

I would definitely not lift a finger in defense of this country now, but that is after the experience of being a convicted felon.

When has the United States Goverment ever honored a treaty it signed with any nation? Not once that I can remember.

As for Peltier, he sadly is a scapegoat, representatives of the U.S. government never do anything wrong, according to the U.S. government.

Patti

luvzreeceycups
03-03-2005, 05:35 PM
Well the only treaty i know of that the u.s recognizes is the Jay Treaty! that gives Canadian Born Native Americans certain rights! but like it has been stated above we all still abide by the same laws just because we are Native American we dont' have seperate laws. but we do have our own policing on reserve!

Wingy
03-04-2005, 06:47 AM
The Iraquois, is a six nation confederacy which includes the Mohawk, Oneidas, Onondagas, Cayugas, Senecas, Tuscaroras,

the 1794 Canandaigua Treaty, is still in effect today. In theory, at least, governs the relationship between the Six Nations Confederacy and the Unites States. like all the treaties, including the Jay Treaty has been and continues to be violated all the time.

Celtie
03-07-2005, 08:22 PM
There are different treaties between the feds and each tribe. The kind of sovereignty that tribes have is not 100% or they would not be subject to federal and state laws as they are. As was suggested, do some checking on websites; the Net is full of American Indian and First Nations information (not all of it accurate, so be careful what you believe). One bad effect of the nation-to-nation relationship is that American Indians are prosecuted in federal courts for what non-Indians are prosecuted for in state courts...and the feds are notoriously harsh on Natives. My friend's attorney can cite many cases where federal judges sentenced Natives to the max allowable, while sentencing whites to half that time. Ugly, but substantiated by fact. Keep educating yourself; best luck to you.

Wingy
03-08-2005, 03:24 AM
As Leonard Peltier said, many years ago..." the US prisons are the fastest growing Indian reservations in the unites states.' It was true then and is still true today