View Full Version : Help! How does an inmate get divorced in Alabama?

myrtle
03-02-2005, 04:16 AM
My fiance` is incarcerated at Easterling Correctional Facility. He has been there quite some time now. When he was first moved there I tried to go and visit him, but to my surprise and 400 miles later was turned away. We have a a beautiful baby boy that has yet to meet his father. I was 6 months pregnant when he went in. So needless to say he has never met his son. They are saying I can't visit because on his file he is still married. He filied for a divorce and the papers were returned to him. How is an inmate supposed to go about getting a divorce? Someone please help!!! Any info on this would be greatly appriciated!! -missing him so much:(

angelntn
03-02-2005, 10:56 AM
Hey! I have a friend in the same situation. Has he been granted a divorce or has he started the paperwork to get a divorce? I also couldn't go see Michael until the warden seen his divorce decree then I was put on his visitation list. The warden has to see a copy of the divorce. Your fiance may have to get his wife to get the paperwork drawn up or you may can call a lawyer and get the paperwork going on your own but you will have to get the wife to sign it. I hope this helps some.

decaturjoe
04-17-2005, 07:34 PM
I typed Bobby's up myself he signed it and I filled it for him in Madison co. after 60 days she would not sign it so the judge granted it as is anyway. J Townsend Decatur alMy fiance` is incarcerated at Easterling Correctional Facility. He has been there quite some time now. When he was first moved there I tried to go and visit him, but to my surprise and 400 miles later was turned away. We have a a beautiful baby boy that has yet to meet his father. I was 6 months pregnant when he went in. So needless to say he has never met his son. They are saying I can't visit because on his file he is still married. He filied for a divorce and the papers were returned to him. How is an inmate supposed to go about getting a divorce? Someone please help!!! Any info on this would be greatly appriciated!! -missing him so much:(

GSPack
05-10-2005, 08:16 AM
Each Prison is supposed to help all inmates to request indegent papers before they start a divorce (therefore it cost them nothing). Then you can call the courthouse in the county his prison is in and ask what happened to his orginal filing...If it was not filled out correctly sometimes they(clerks) send it back. If it is filed and not answered within 30 days of receipt by his wife, the judge in the case will grant the divorce. Call the clerks in his county and they will tell you just what paper you need.