View Full Version : SOMEBODY HELP THIS Virgin Dieter :)

cawillia
02-22-2005, 03:01 PM
Alright.... I went home last weekend and my very honest but blunt grandmother told me I was getting wide *sigh*. It's my first year at college, and I'm very aware of the scay freshman 15- but I'm not there yet. I'm at the freshman 10 or so :(.

I used to play basketball and run track. I've been in great shape, but i've never been thin. I have big bones and honestly while others look good really thin, my goal is to just be happy with myself. I don't really care what I weigh. I have a minor heart complication, and I have to stay in shape so that won't go crazy on me. I feel better about myself when I work out. I just want to look good in my clothes and feel good about myself.

So' I'm trying to go to the gym every day. I went 4 days last week but Alex gave me a pep talk (he's supporting me- not trying to get me to lose weight for him) and I'm going to try to do at least a little bit every day. I went for 40 minutes on the elipticals yesterday and lifted arm weights. Today I'm going to to do about 20 minutes or 30 minutes (b/c I am sore) and do legs.

I'm also trying not to eat between meals. OMG IT IS SO HARD. I have this meal card and I can basically go and buy whatever I want whenever I want. I've been drinking a lot of water and limiting my diet coke intake to 2 a day (I got a lil obsessive). The problem is I AM SOOOOO HUNGRY.... I'm not a gum chewer. Does anyone have any suggestions? like i'm sitting here and all i can think about is what I am going to eat for dinner and how good it tastes.

I want to lose about 15 to 20 pounds but more than anything just feel good about myself and like the way I look. It sucks that it's girl scout cookie season. Can anyone help me?

LAT
02-22-2005, 03:24 PM
Do you like fresh vegetables. Buy some to have on hand whenever you get the munchies. The trick is to have them ready. I allow myself all the raw vegetables I want!

cawillia
02-22-2005, 03:35 PM
I do like fresh veggies. That's a good idea- to just keep them in the fridge in here. I might just get some tonight. Thanks LAT :)

1dayatatime
02-22-2005, 03:56 PM
Ok-I am gonna give some advice here but I know its hard I want to loose about 15-20 pounds also but I havent started yet.

*at least 64 ounces of water daily
*take a multivitamin daily (with iron Walmart brand is fine)
*at least 30 minutes of cardiac exercise daily (walking, treadmill...)
*Limit caffeine intake
*dont have fattening snacks in the dorm (keep veggies, pretzels, fat free stuff on hand)
*eat several small meals a day
*EAT BREAKFAST!
*most say dont eat after 6 pm

I am no expert but these are things I am told.

Kapri
02-22-2005, 04:00 PM
Here's something that's helped me.. my doctor said that I should eat 6 times a day.. here's the schedule he had put me on breakfast, snack about 10am then lunch, snack about 3pm, dinner, snack about 7pm. the meals are smaller, but because of the snacks of fruits, vegi's,yogurt, crackers etc.between each meal I'm not hungry before any meal and I'm not over eating when its meal time. I always carry a small cooler filled with fruits and things, that helps me to avoid having to stop and buy something to eat when I'm out cause I use to just compulsively buy whatever was there at that time.
At first the hardest part was actually finding the time to eat something, but as time went on it just became automatic. I hope this helps some!!

cawillia
02-22-2005, 04:24 PM
Thanks One and Kapri :)
I have never liked water too much. Thankfully I have found one kind that I absouletely love. It's a flavored water. Still no calories, etc. I drank 3 yesterday! I need to work on the vitamins- especially considering I don't get much calcium due to a dairy allergy. I need to eat breakfast! I usually am not hungry when I get up, but I guess ever a nutra grain bar or something would be good.
It's ineresting that you both suggested several small meals a day. I guess that helps you from pigging out at lunch, dinner, etc. I hate being hungry. Thanks for your advice :)

1dayatatime
02-22-2005, 04:39 PM
Several small meals is apparently very important. I work with a lady who is doing weight watchers and she eats all the time--but has lost 26 pounds!! She actually is looking anorexic. She counts points but I think that would be too much planning for a college girl (((I know you have limited time and space)). Good luck. Something Miabella is doing is posting her progress in her own thread.

Good luck swimsuit season is almost here!!!

ONE

MomsInTrouble
02-22-2005, 04:59 PM
I agree with everything stated above. I highly recommend Weight Watchers if you need a little help with discipline. The key I've found in my weight loss success was journaling - keeps ya REAL honest! You'd be surprised at the little nibble here and there that add up when you aren't paying attention.

Since you don't really like water alone, how about adding a little bit of Crystal Light to it? It comes in lots of flavors and "counts" as water. Proteins are important too. Your bod needs 'em and they help you with energy and make you feel fuller, longer.

Wish I'd had the foresight to get my act together when I only needed to lose 10 lb lol

cawillia
02-22-2005, 05:13 PM
MomsInTrouble- I LOVE CRYSTAL LIGHT! That's such a good idea!

Thanks for the the help everyone
Love you guys :)