View Full Version : "The Gates" Central Park New York City

Manzanita
02-16-2005, 05:34 PM
Christo And Jeanne-Claude's Long Awaited The Gates Unfurled on February 12
until February 27th...

On February 12, New York City and Central Park launched an extraordinary art event. Celebrated artists Christo and Jeanne-Claude unfurled THE GATES, PROJECT FOR CENTRAL PARK 1979-2005. On view for 16 days, the 7,500 gates will line 23 miles of pathways in Central Park, from 59th Street to 110th Street. Saffron-colored fabric panels will hang seven feet above the ground, blowing in the wind and delighting the public walking beneath with a warm glow of translucent color. The gates will seem like a golden river appearing and disappearing through the bare branches of the trees. The exhibit is free for everyone to enjoy and will not interfere with normal Park activity.

The Gates is Christo and Jeanne-Claude's first major project in New York City. Using a variety of fabrics, the artists have created entire environments that allow the viewer to experience a landscape or building in a completely new way. For example, in their most recent project, Wrapped Reichstag (Berlin, 1995), they used a silvery fabric to wrap the building, creating a flow of vertical folds highlighting the features and proportions of the imposing structure. In Central Park, The Gates will be spaced at 10 to 15 foot intervals, allowing the synthetic woven panels to wave horizontally toward the next gate, reinforcing the design of the Park's winding paths. They will be seen from far away through the leafless branches of the trees, forming a golden ceiling and creating warm shadows. No holes will be dug, and there will be no environmental impact: The Gates will not be installed in ecologically sensitive natural areas such as the Ramble and North Woods.

Christo and Jeanne-Claude have donated $3 million to benefit Central Park and other city parks. They will also assume all costs associated with The Gates. All income derived from the sale of The Gates merchandise will benefit Nurture New York's Nature Inc. and the Arts, Central Park, and other city parks.

http://www.centralparknyc.org/17613/2400894

http://christojeanneclaude.net/tg.html

starzzmom
02-16-2005, 07:57 PM
I really don't understand thier form of Art. To each his own. I guess it's pretty to look at, but for all the time and money it took, I think those gates should stay up a little while longer.
I also don't understand why it took 25 years for this project to get approved. what was the big deal?
P.S. with all that money she has - can't she find something better to do with her hair? Sorry- I've been holding that one in for a long time!

Manzanita
02-16-2005, 08:09 PM
The city would not allow it, they have been trying all these years to get it done...and they are paying for it themselves, no city money is paying for it. If you see it, it is really pretty, maybe not art to some, but it is something interesting to see. and about her hair? LOL, so funny...LOL...rich artists, what can they do? LOL

starzzmom
02-16-2005, 08:47 PM
I know the city isn't paying for it, and they donated alot of money and that's cool - thanks for the cash! We sure can use it! That's why i don't understand why it wasn't allowed. I'm sure it is pretty. I would like to see it, but I don't think I will get into the city by the time they take it down. They should keep it up at least thru the summer.
I saw pics of some of thier other art. I kinda liked the yellow and blue umbrellas (I think in Cali). Hey if they wanted to give me a few hundred thousand dollars , they could drape green with purple polka dots and orange stripes around my house!