View Full Version : (Mississippi) Lawmakers Consider Change To Sex Offender Law

Amy
02-11-2005, 01:52 AM
http://www.thejacksonchannel.com/news/4186443/detail.html

POSTED: 4:21 pm CST February 10, 2005
UPDATED: 4:25 pm CST February 10, 2005

JACKSON, Miss. -- Mississippi law enforcement officials say about 600 Mississippi sex offenders are not complying with the law that requires them to register with the state.

Lawmakers are expected to vote soon on new legislation that would change the way officials with the Department of Public Safety keep track of convicted child molesters.

Current law requires sex offenders to register and re-register with the sheriff's department every 90 days by mail.

A bill now being considered in the House will require sex offenders to re-register with The Department of Public Safety every 90 days in person and take an updated photograph.

The proposal would let police officers suspend the driver's license of anyone who doesn't comply.

"I do what I'm supposed to do, you know?" said a man convicted of molesting two 10-year-old boys. "I register by law. I'm on probation for two years. They know where I'm at, what I'm doing. We're just normal people, you know? We've done our time---we should be left alone."

Failing to properly register as a sex offender is a felony that carries as much as five years in prison.

Law enforcement officials said new legislation would be more effective in keeping citizens safe.

According to a spokesperson with the Department of Public Safety, of the 3,229 registered offenders, about 17 to 20 percent aren't complying with the law.