View Full Version : Parole violation for not paying supervision fees?

danielle
02-10-2005, 05:03 PM
Today my husband had to go for his monthly PO visit. Not a big deal. He gives her his $40 money order. She gives him a receipt and asks him if any of his contact information has changed. He says no and signs that he's been there and goes home. Some months he gets a drug screen, some months not. She's actually been very good to him and tolerant of his work schedule. I can't complain about her and the way she's treated him.

But...he overheard the conversation between the PO and the guy that was ahead of him. Apparently he didn't pay his fees last month ($40) and only paid $30 this month. He's $50 behind. The PO told him that if he didn't have his money by Monday morning, she'd issue a warrant for his arrest and he'd go back to prison.

He tried to tell her about his job situation. She said she didn't care. She told him to pawn or sell something to get the money. She asked him if he had a TV and he said yes. She told him his priorities were wrong. That if he wanted to stay out of prison he'd sell the TV and bring her the money.

So...does this happen often? Do people go back to prison on a regular basis for not paying thier supervision fees?

gigi v
02-10-2005, 06:18 PM
Yes They Do. They Will Issue A Warrant And Put Them Back In Prison Real Quick! I Guess They Have Quotas To Make .

danielle
02-10-2005, 07:26 PM
Wow. Back in prison over $50. It would cost the state more than that just to house him for a day or two.

NuBeginning
02-10-2005, 11:44 PM
Yes, Danielle... a parolee can be violated and have their parole revoked for not paying the fines, as listed in the parole conditions below. However based on the conditions of paying fines, it says that it has to be in either 1 or several payments. I think as long as the parolee is paying something, they can't violate him. Unless of course, when he signed his parole conditions, it stated a certain amount to be paid every month, and if the required amount is not paid, then they can violate him. If he doesn't have a job or has low income, the parolee should ask for an adjustment of the amount he needs to pay each month. I think the parole officer was just trying to put a little fire under his butt to do better.

Anyway, assuming you are referring to parole for the state of Mississippi, the conditions of parole are as follows:

That the, offender shall:

(a) Commit no offense against the laws of this or any other state of the United States, or of the United States;

(b) Avoid injurious or vicious habits;

(c) Avoid persons or places of disreputable or harmful character;

d) Report to the probation and parole officer as directed;

(e) Permit the probation and parole officer to visit him at home or elsewhere;

(f) Work faithfully at suitable employment so far as possible;

(g) Remain within a specified area;

(h) Pay his fine in one (1) or several sums;

(i) Support his dependents;

(j) Submit, as provided in Section 47-5-601, (http://198.187.128.12/mississippi/lpext.dll?f=FifLink&t=document-frame.htm&l=jump&iid=65612239.7a666f50.0.0&nid=d127#JD_47-5-601) to any type of breath, saliva or urine chemical analysis test, the purpose of which is to detect the possible presence of alcohol or a substance prohibited or controlled by any law of the State of Mississippi or the United States.

danielle
02-10-2005, 11:52 PM
Thanks for the information! However, it's not a fine I'm talking about. It's the monthly supervision fee - my husband has to pay $40 per month for the honor of being on parole. This money doesn't go towards any fines or restitution. It is simply what he has to pay to stay out of prison.

NuBeginning
02-11-2005, 12:21 AM
Wow! Just curious.... when your husband signed his conditions, does it lists the supervision fees as a condition of his parole?

Searcher
02-11-2005, 05:13 AM
I don't know about supervision fees for parole but many states have then for probation, no there are not quotas. It's the job of the PO to enforce all of the conditions. Sounds to me like the PO was bluffing and trying to scare the client into compliance (which is the mark of an unimaginative PO). I can't imagine any state placing someone back in prison over falling behind on supervision fees. The point of supervision fees is to replenish the states budget. The cost of 1 inmate in a county jail or prison averages like $74 a day in the US (it's been a while since I checked this stat) so it would illogical to do this. Does it ever happen, sure, after a client has been giving time to pay the fee and or catch up on a past accruement. But, in my experience the only people who get placed in jail for not paying supervision fees are the ones who the court determines have the ability to pay and do not. Just my 2 cents, I realize states differ some on this issue and I am referring to probation rather than parole.

Searcher

MrsWest11
02-11-2005, 07:13 AM
Yup..it can happen...that is exactly why Kevin is back there now. His situation was BS to me but, you and me both know how Alabama is. :rolleyes: He got laid off from his job...and told his PO about it. Dude said that as long as he came to his "monthly" meetings...he would "waive" the fee until Kevin could pay in full. On the 3rd month..Kevin walked in and handed the man $90 (the 2 months he missed...and the $30 for that 3rd month). He took the money and then...boom! Kevin was in handcuffs on the way to the county jail. Needless to say...THAT wasn't expected...considering the "agreement" he had made with his PO. Ugh...here I go. LOL

*stepping off soap box*
Selena

Searcher
02-11-2005, 07:52 AM
If that was the ONLY reason for the arrest its insane and a waste of tax dollars.

Searcher

NuBeginning
02-11-2005, 09:52 PM
If that was the ONLY reason for the arrest its insane and a waste of tax dollars.

SearcherI totally agree with you on that one. I'm hoping that she was just trying to put a little fire under his butt to make him try harder to come up with the money.

Yup..it can happen...that is exactly why Kevin is back there now. His situation was BS to me but, you and me both know how Alabama is. :rolleyes: He got laid off from his job...and told his PO about it. Dude said that as long as he came to his "monthly" meetings...he would "waive" the fee until Kevin could pay in full. On the 3rd month..Kevin walked in and handed the man $90 (the 2 months he missed...and the $30 for that 3rd month). He took the money and then...boom! Kevin was in handcuffs on the way to the county jail. Needless to say...THAT wasn't expected...considering the "agreement" he had made with his PO. Ugh...here I go. LOL
It seems that it would be to the parolee's advantage to get modified payment arrangements in writing. At least this way, there is a record that the condition was modified temporarily, and can possibly protect the parolee from being violated, as was the case with Kevin.

I wish more people would document all their meetings, so there is no question later on as to what was discussed and agreed upon.

"Thank you for meeting with me on.... I'd like to confirm our agreement of.... Your continued support for a successful parole is much appreciated."

Real simple, and may come in handy later. :)

jftazzy102
02-11-2005, 10:22 PM
Yes they can violate them for not paying the supervision fees. That is why my husband is now doing a 2 yr sentence in Texas. He was behind and they picked him up. We live in Florida and the sheriff dept picked him for a warrant out of texas. Funny thing was his florida "probation" officer (supervising for texas) came by to do a house visit the next day. Talk about not knowing what the other hand is doing.

California Sunshine
02-13-2005, 01:49 PM
Not supervision fees but my guy just got a HUGE shock in the mail......A bill for almost $12,000 for all the back fines and restitutions etc of his jail stays !! Which I don't understand because when he was in prison he paid off all of his restitution or so he thought.Anyways he had one week to call and make payment arraingments or face wage garnishment or a warrent.He called and scheduled monthly payments unfortunatly they couldn't make them as low as he needed them as he only makes minumum wage but he's got to make that payment somehow!!! He has to pay weekly for his court ordered classes as well (One lasts a year and is $40 a week)

junglequeen
02-13-2005, 03:32 PM

*stepping off soap box*
Selena
I think when something different happens,like not working and your PO says its ok,you should ask for it in writing so you are protected.I know it seems kinda dumb but its for your own protection.

danielle
02-14-2005, 08:21 AM
It just seems crazy to me to send someone to prison over $90 or $50 or whatever amount in delayed supervision fees. It costs the taxpayers more than that to house them for one single day and in prison, there's no possible way to pay the fees. I realize that paying the fees are a condition of parole, but it just seems insane to me to incarcerate them when the fees are late.

Thank goodness that Visa can't do that or my butt would have been in prison a long, long time ago!

JEFF12345
02-16-2005, 11:02 PM
Not supervision fees but my guy just got a HUGE shock in the mail......A bill for almost $12,000 for all the back fines and restitutions etc of his jail stays !! Which I don't understand because when he was in prison he paid off all of his restitution or so he thought.Anyways he had one week to call and make payment arraingments or face wage garnishment or a warrent.He called and scheduled monthly payments unfortunatly they couldn't make them as low as he needed them as he only makes minumum wage but he's got to make that payment somehow!!! He has to pay weekly for his court ordered classes as well (One lasts a year and is $40 a week)
If he has done all of his time AND NOT out on parole or probation, where they can hang that over his head and threaten a warrant, then have him file Bankruptcy, ( DEBTORS COURT ) against them. He will have to include everyone he owes in the initial filing, but a FEDERAL JUDGE will determine how much they get per month, NOT some clerk in a District Attorney's office, and yes it is the district attorney's office in the county he had his case in that is responsible for collecting fines and restitution. When someone comes out of prison, they send a copy of how much fines and restitution he owes to the DA's office in that county, and if he has a traffic ticket in some little municipailty somewhere he hasn't paid, they will send the clerk of that court a copy of where he lives and remind them.

Jeff

JustLisa
02-17-2005, 01:24 AM
Typically you can't include court fines or restitution in bankruptcy... that is what I have read, maybe some places are different than Washington....

Tinkerbell1166
02-20-2005, 06:15 PM

*stepping off soap box*
Selena
The same thing happened with my husband. He got laid off, the PO said to just pay when you start working again, that he wasn't worried about the money. He continued going for his monthly visits, never once in 3 years did he have to do a drug test. All of a sudden, his PO is transferred to another location, and he gets a new PO, that doesn't give a rip what kind of financial problems you are having, he comes first. The PO told him that if he worked all week, he would want his money, so he expected the same out of his probationers. One good thing about this new PO, once he got his money, he filled out the paperwork and got him an early release from probation.

johnsonld5
06-11-2005, 07:47 PM
Hello:
These parole officer could be caught up in identify theft I would check these ex-offender credit file to make sure that these paroel officer are not selling their security numbers to illegal immigrant to work under. I recent learned this is why when these Nigerian Parole Officers are doing sending ex-offenders back on any little small violation without any new charges. It has happen to my son who is disable but I am trying to start an organization that we can have INA enforce the law and send them to prison and deportation for them being in USA illegal.
These are felony themselves working for all these varies states. They steal and do all kinds of illegal acts. For all you know your significant other identification may be in a state as far as New York if you lives in Texas or vice verus. This is the way the corruption.

youngnlov
06-27-2005, 07:23 PM
Wow These posts have opened my eyes to alot of things. At one of the parole offices here in Louisiana if they know that the person can't pay the fines due to financial issues they make them do extra community service.

johnsonld5
07-09-2005, 03:36 PM
Well, last month I stated that I felt this Nigerian Parole Officer was sending my son back to prison for parole fees, and I felt it was a cover up for something else as Identify theft guess what I was right. Some one was using his identify. They received medicaid and some other credit for one month due to his parole was not taken but given ISF to coverup this parole officer illegal act.

Be very careful giving out your social security numbers to these people, they even selling criminal background on all people coming out of prison to Publicdata.com. This illegal because TDPS does not suppose to sell our information as that the FBI is the only ones who will keep information which is classified on us.

These computer crimes are being investigate due to all criminal activities they are link to.

SURNELL
07-09-2005, 10:50 PM
YES DARLING IN PRENTISS MISSISSIPPI THE PO HAVE SENT A LOT OF THE GUYS HERE BACK
TO PRISON FOR NOT PAYING. EVENTHOUGH SOME OF THEM WERE PAYING UNTIL THEIR
JOBS ENDED. LIKE MY FINANCE HE WAS DOING HIS BEST TO PAY EVERY MONTH, THEN HE
LOST HIS JOB, HE WAS IN CONSTRUCTION SO YOU KNOW HOW THIS JOB GOES. SHE SEND
HIM BACK FOR THE 5 YRS HE HAD ON PAPER.