View Full Version : Birth Control

usopwilly
02-09-2005, 10:09 AM
Hi, I wanted to get some feedback on birth control. For those of you that do use birth control, what works for you? What did not work for you? I'm going to start on birth control soon. My past relationships, I always used condoms but I don't want to with my husband.

cawillia
02-10-2005, 06:17 PM
Here's a thread that might help:
http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90813

JamesWifey
02-10-2005, 09:07 PM
I am not on any birth control now (since I am not sexually active) and when my fiance comes home we will be trying to get pregnant. Before my honey was incarcerated I was on Yasmin which worked well for me. Prior to that I was on Ortho Tricyclen and I hated it. I was very nautious threw up everyday and had to stop taking it. They say about 50% of women have negative side effects from it. I have a very sensitive stomach and all those horomones got to me, so I asked my doctor to prescribe something that was low on horomones. It is basically trial and error. Some do well on some brands, while others don't. I hope you find the pill which works best for you.

Congrats on your hubby's very soon home coming! :D

Marie

myJerbear
02-10-2005, 10:36 PM
I am currently using Ortho Evra its the patch i out it on once a week for 3 weeks and off a week its great. I don't need it right now but it help to get my period back on track after having a baby 3 months ago. Io guess I should get on schedule for when he gets home in 117 days.

SFC
02-10-2005, 10:37 PM
I take Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo and I love it, no side effects.

MrsBenji
02-10-2005, 10:44 PM
I went through several different types of the pill before finding one I like, that I don't use anymore because I don't need it quite yet.

I didn't do well with the Ortho-Tri-cylcen, like JamesWifey. It made me cranky and nauseous and my s*x drive plummetted! I finally settled on Desogen which fit me much better. With birth control pills, it really it a trial and error. Some people fit easily and others not so much. Start shopping now! Start with the lower hormone dosages because they are less likely to have such harsh side effects, and the single hormone pills (three weeks of one color and a week of placebo) will allow you to skip your monthly visitor, which might come in handy for a bit once hubby is home. :) The tri-phasic ones are not designed to do that, (the ones with a different color for each week). Might check into "seasonale," the new one that have four monthly visitors a year. :)
Congrats on needing it! ;)
Jenn

jblovesdb
02-10-2005, 10:49 PM
I used Orth-tricyclen low...and it was ok! I stopped taking it b/c I am not sexually active and didn't have the extra money to get it...but I didn't have side effects. Except I was a little moody and emotional...atleast according to Dave. Hugs:p
-Jackie

Amandayoung418
02-10-2005, 11:06 PM
I was on Ortho Tri-cyclen lo, and it was good...I had no side effects, unless you want to call a 3 day period a side effect..... It was NICE!! Everything was light and friendly lol

Lions Heart
02-11-2005, 09:38 AM
I was taking ortho-novum 777 but don't need it right now. I continue to refill my perscription though because I am saving them for when my guy comes home. Lucky for me they have a long shelf-life. I have used other over the counter stuff as well, I talked to my docotr about using the patch because I sometimes forget to take my pill but there was a weight concern in effectiveness and I was much heavier then. I have also talked to my doctor about the implant in the arm that is supposed to last for 5 years and an IUD but none of them were things that I wanted to try right now. Good luck to you

1dayatatime
02-11-2005, 09:48 AM
I have tried them and have not been successful. But the reasons I was using them was to control the period.

THere are a million options and like the others have said its trial and error. BUT you gotta start something soon or you will still need back up protection.

I worked in OB/GYN for many yrs I will try and asnwer any questions you may have.

Good luck
ONE

Honeymooner
02-11-2005, 09:53 PM
I tried Depo-Provera injections, but it made me pack on the pounds. Ortho-Tricylen was ok--if I didn't want to bother with having my period, I would skip the week of "sugar" pills. But, my hubby got neutered, so I'm free & clear.

usopwilly
02-14-2005, 01:55 PM
Thanks Ladies! I'm going to try Orth-tricyclen low, and see what happens. I guess I'll let you know what worked for me in the next month or so!

gipsyrose
03-01-2005, 10:43 AM
Birth control and I don't mix well. I've tried 2 IUD's for 4 months each time...bled ALL 4 months! That was way too expensive...buying the stores out of their pads & tampons! I've tried the shot. Never again. Bled the whole time too (3 months), gained TONS of weight and it just plain ole messed me up. I've also tried a couple different pills and didn't like them. I understand the whole hormone thing, but the IUD prob, I don't understand. Doc didn't either. I've used condoms, but my skin doesn't agree w/ the latex or the spermacide. I'm at a loss now for what to pick regarding BC. Good thing I'm not sexually active right now! I have a year or so to figure something out.
Any suggestions anyone???

Jenn

Spanishlove
03-01-2005, 11:21 AM
I've tried about 3 or 4 differant bc's and some made me sick. I would often start to forget to take them and just say forget it and stop. I had the one they put under your skin in your arm. That one made me spot alot. Condoms and spermicides messe me up. But later found it was the spermicide and not the condom. then I used the patch and that seemed to work for me. The only thing about it was it tend to itch where I placed it. But once I found a spot I just switched it from one spot every week. But in all I like the patch the most.

AEMS
03-01-2005, 11:24 AM
I am not on it now, but I used to be. I had a very hard time finding one that worked with my body. I tried several and found ortho tri cyclin to make me cry all the time. The ortho try cyclin low seemed to work well for me, but my favorite is yasmin.

KMJoyner
03-17-2005, 09:37 PM
I take Yasmin and actually like it a lot. I haven't had any breakout with my skin and no side effects really noticed at all. I would not however recommend the Depo shot to anyone. I gained a lot of weight when I went on it and have heard from a lot of others it made them gain weight as well.