View Full Version : Presidential, Governors Pardons clemency and commuting sentence

JEFF12345
02-07-2005, 12:01 PM
Has anyone here ever thought of writing to the President of the United States, or the Governor asking them for a pardon or to commute a sentence? I realize that they rarely do it, but allthey can do is say NO. You know Bill Clinton pardoned SEVERAL HUNDRED people an hour before his last term was up. That pissed off a lot of these law and order type Republicans, and to tell you the truth thats exactly why I think he did it. I can't see George Bush pardoning anyone, but you know his neice, Gov. Jeb Bush's daughter ( her first name escapes me ) got caught doing the EXACT same thing I did, and am getting 15 years for. She picked up the telephone at like 11:00 P.M and called Walgreens pharmacy, pretending to be a doctor, and called in a prescription for xanax in some fake name. The way she got caught was she forgot to give the pharmacist a quantity on the rx, and when they called back to verify it, the doctor denied she called it in. They swept that one under the rug. I guess when you have a father who is the Governor of the state, a grandfather who is an ex-president, and an uncle whom is a sitting president, you can get by with stuff like that, whereas they are trying to give my "nobody" a$$ 15 years for doing the exact same thing. Now George W. is no stranger to substance abuse himself, he is an alkie, and even had a dui. I got a 5 minute video of our fearless leader drunk off his A$$ at a 1992 wedding. It is funny seeing the president drunk, running his mouth making a fool of himself. If anyone wants to see the video, leave me your email address in a private message and I will email it to you. Getting back to the main topic, one could always write and ask him. I think that maybe Bob Riley would be more open to commuting a sentence, if you have a non-violent crime, such as simple drug possession, where thereis no victim. I think maybe if you went to him from the standpoint of:

"Hey Governor, I would like to help you with the current problem you have with the prison overcrowding and the funding problem. If you would kindly sign the Executive Order that I have enclosed, commuting the sentence of ( Insert Name), and return it in the enclosed stamped envelope, I will see to it that my lawyer gets it to the proper people."

Then go on to tell him how happy you are to help in such a small way with the prison overcrowding problem, and how you have several friends in prison that would be happy to help him also.

You know I say that with tongue-in-cheek, but you never know until you ask. The state is facing such a budget crisis, and the Prisons are under Federal Court Order to reduce the number of inmates, and the parole board isn't acting very fast, that he just may do it. I doubt people have even ask him, because they all think he would say no, but you never know until you ask.

Comments????

Jeff

Bamafan
02-07-2005, 04:49 PM
Well good luck in asking.That fine governor of ours could care less if they all rotted
in prison.He thinks you should serve what was given to you.Hope everybody is right
when they call him one time Bob.

danielle
02-07-2005, 05:02 PM
The governor of Alabama can't grant a pardon or clemency. It's up to the parole board and the parole board alone. I think the president can only pardon federal prisoners.

JEFF12345
02-07-2005, 05:33 PM
Sure the Governor can grant a pardon, clemency, or just plain commute the sentence. Why do you think they have that dedicated phone line in the death chamber that goes directly to the governor's office? Now only the parole board can grant parole, but remember, the parole board sits at the enjoyment of the governor. I guess if he was just hell bent on getting someone paroled, they would either do it for him, or they would be looking for another job. Comments???

Jeff

danielle
02-07-2005, 05:46 PM
From Gov. Riley:
As Governor, I do not have the authority to grant a pardon or parole. Historically, Alabama’s Governor had the authority to consider requests for paroles and pardons. However, the Alabama Constitution was amended in 1939 and this power was removed from the Governor and given to the Legislature. The Legislature then created an independent Board of Pardons and Paroles and since that time, this power has been vested in this board.

http://www.governor.state.al.us/ask/q-a_04-04-28.htm

danielle
02-07-2005, 05:59 PM
I wrote about a thousand letters to the last governor. My husband was in prison as he was on his way out. I also sent Bob Riley about a dozen and all I got from that was put on his Christmas Card List.

I wrote the parole board, congressmen (from 2 states) and anybody else I could think of. Yes, I wrote the president too. ;)

I don't think it hurts anything to keep on trying!! :)

However, I will never discourage anybody from trying.

JEFF12345
02-07-2005, 06:14 PM
I stand corrected. I would have thought he had the power to pardon. I guess he can commute a sentence, since he can stop and execution and commute it to life, or let the man go if he so chooses. Now I KNOW he can commute a sentence like that, because when Alabama executed that man in his 70's this past summer, there was a petition floating around to tyhe governor urging him to get involved because the 70 something year old man was retarted and in very very bad health.

Hey there is still King George that we could write to asking for a pardon. It isnt impossible or unheard of. I think Clinton pardoned a couple of thousand during his last hour in office. Needless to say those law and order type republicans were really pissed about it, but there is nothing they could do about it. After all he was the president.

Jeff

JEFF12345
02-09-2005, 01:34 AM
I wrote about a thousand letters to the last governor. My husband was in prison as he was on his way out. I also sent Bob Riley about a dozen and all I got from that was put on his Christmas Card List.

I wrote the parole board, congressmen (from 2 states) and anybody else I could think of. Yes, I wrote the president too. ;)

I don't think it hurts anything to keep on trying!! :)

However, I will never discourage anybody from trying.

Yeah my mom is real big friends with Sen. Shelby, they dated in highschool, and still speak and see each other at reunions every year. I know I could get him to write a letter to the judge, but the judge who will be doing the sentencing is a black democrat and I am afraid this will back fire. Any suggestions??

Jeff