View Full Version : How much fluid do you retain

TNC
02-01-2005, 01:33 PM
I know that when its that time of month we retain a lot of extra fluids. I know that lately the scales arent going down and I've chalked it up to being near that time. I've never really thought about how much extra water your body holds onto. Do we retain enough to really notice a differance or is it a good amount of weight each month.

I would love to think that it could be up to 5 extra pounds a month, but I think that is wishful thinking :D :D

~Laurie
02-01-2005, 01:40 PM
I think 2 or 3 for myself. I've noticed a couple of days before and throughout I pack on a couple of pounds even if I'm eating healthy. I've taken Pamprin and that really seems to help with a mild headache and fluid retention.

dazzler
02-01-2005, 01:45 PM
My middle name is SpongeBob!!!!

TNC
02-01-2005, 01:45 PM
I think 2 or 3 for myself. I've noticed a couple of days before and throughout I pack on a couple of pounds even if I'm eating healthy. I've taken Pamprin and that really seems to help with a mild headache and fluid retention.
Even 2-3 pounds seems to be quite a bit. I'm suppose to have a weight check at the gym this week, but I think I will wait until next week before I do so. I really dont want any extra weight when I get my official weight, but I didnt know how much differance it would really make be waiting until next week

babygirl350
02-01-2005, 01:57 PM
Well for me way back when...I could usually count on 3-5 pounds a month. I think it depends on the individual though.

I know right now, I retain alot of fluid. I am oh so sensitive to sodium. I have to be really careful, not just the salt shaker, or the salty foods, but even with soda.

I take a diuretic for fluid retention and usually by morning my ankles are flat, of course now with the broken one it looks like ten pounds are right on that place, lol!

I had to laugh at the Dr when I asked him about getting my foot back to normal size and getting all of that fluid off of my foot, he said the only way to do that would be to stick my leg up in the air higher than my nose. Yea right! I can really see myself doing that. What a sight that would be.

TNC
02-01-2005, 02:02 PM
Well for me way back when...I could usually count on 3-5 pounds a month. I think it depends on the individual though.

So it seems that thinking 5 pounds of what I weight right now could be monthly fluid retention. If thats the case then I will definatly wait til next week before I get my weight checked. No need letting a little PMS discourage me :D

babygirl350
02-01-2005, 02:15 PM
So it seems that thinking 5 pounds of what I weight right now could be monthly fluid retention. If thats the case then I will definatly wait til next week before I get my weight checked. No need letting a little PMS discourage me :D

Well that has been my experience anyway. I could count on it each month.

Good luck to you.

~Laurie
02-01-2005, 03:03 PM
wait to get weighed because even if you *know* it's fluid it gets depressing..... i know for myself. if I see i've gained or not lost I get frustrated..... Silly, but true.

Eternal Hope
02-01-2005, 07:25 PM
TNC? are you drinking plenty of water? I have been in the weight loss industry for most of my life, so I do know what I am talking about, and if I can help you, its great.
To answer your question, YES, you can average about 3-5 extra pounds of fluid during and before the "time" of your "worst aunt visiting". However, that amount can and will drop eventually, as long as you regularly give your body water to drink. AT least 8 glasses of water per day( 64 ozs, more if able) I used to have a 32 oz bottle and filled it up three times (96 ozs) and drank all of it on one day and night ....hmm I need to do better on my water as well, lol, I have gotten slack! Anyway, it really makes a difference and as I said, it will take a few months of your body getting used to this, but thereafter when your worst aunt comes to visit you won't notice as much of a fluid gain. The body needs more water to release more water, etc. I am always a PM away, if you have questions! Good luck honey!

jessica23
02-01-2005, 07:52 PM
It's about 4 pounds for me and it drives me crazy because I never believe it's just water retention until the next week when it goes away! Yours will, too - just keep doing what you're doing and don't worry!

Jessica

TNC
02-01-2005, 09:32 PM
TNC? are you drinking plenty of water? I've never been much of a water drinker, but I am drinking a lot more water then I used to. I'm sure its not as much as some would recomend, but its around 2 liters a day. Considering before I was lucky if I drank 2 liters a month this is a lot for me. Of course that means the more water I drink the less diet soda I am drinking :)

busman
02-01-2005, 09:35 PM
I'm retainin" like a mug.
Water, food, weight, You name it I'm retainin' it.. Can't blame the scale either dagnabbit.