View Full Version : Medication For Depression and/or Anxiety

CelliePieGrrl
01-30-2005, 09:48 PM
Does anyone know of any good medication for depression and/or anxiety? I am going to schedule an appointment with my doctor soon, hopefully within the next week or so, but I was just wondering if anyone here took meds for either of those? I trust my doctor and will leave it up to his judgement what to prescribe, but I still wanted to know what I was getting myself into I guess.

I have been dealing with severe depression lately and it really feels like I am not going to overcome it on my own. There are many factors surrounding it...the main thing of course is that I want to be with my husband so badly, to have him home with me, but I know that can't happen right now and pretty much every moment we are apart now is like hell. It hurts so much. It's never been this bad before. I think it's because after we had six months apart from each other, we love each other more than ever, so it's harder than ever to be apart. Then I have this so-called friend who has done nothing but be rude, inconsiderate and hurtful to me but I still wish we were friends, and I still let them walk all over me. :cry: I am very unhappy at my job, I hate going there every day I work. I like a lot of my co-workers and bosses, but the job itself I dread. I feel like I am going to be in school forever. So I don't know what else to do...no matter how much I "get out of the house" or do other things, my mind can't stay occupied on that for long, or as soon as I am back home again or at school or work I feel this overwhelming depression. :cry: I really don't know what to do anymore, except maybe try a medication that could help me with it. I also experience severe anxiety at times, like everything that I am upset about just aches my heart so bad that I start feeling like I can't even breathe and sometimes I feel like I am on the verge of an anxiety attack. I talked to my husband about the possibilty of taking medication to treat the depression and at first he was wary like me, but now he supports me fully if I decide to...

BUT one thing we both do not want, is for me to become like totally dependant on it, or anything like that. So I need to know what meds are safe and are not going to screw me up. Honestly, I hate airing out my so-called dirty laundry like this, but I am just having a real low tonight and I don't know where else to turn. My "friends" out here in the real world really are just superficial and I could never talk to them about serious stuff like this. :cry:

Thanks for taking the time to read...

JustLisa
01-30-2005, 10:02 PM
Celene..I am sorry that you are feeling like this, although I can fully understand where you are coming from. I have suffered from depression throughout different time periods in my life to the point of it almost being impossible to get out of my bed to function...

I long considered taking medication to help with this but don't have insurance to cover it, so I just make myself function without it.. sometimes it works and sometimes all I do is go to work, fix my kids dinner and crawl into my bed. I did, at one time, take Prozac, a friend of mine had some and gave it to me, I almost instantly felt like a new person emotionally... I went from crying all the time to not being able to cry at all.. It kindof deadened my emotions, but I didn't dwell adn worry on stuff. I had to stop taking it becuase I think the dosage was too high adn it made me physically sick. If I could be monitored by a doctor I would gladly take something, because I know medication can help.

There are alot of good anti-depressants out there, alot of new ones that are really supposed to help alot.. Just be totally honest with your Doctor about what you are feeling and I am sure they will be able to help you out...

Hang in there and I hope that things get better for you!!!!!!!!!

jftazzy102
01-30-2005, 10:07 PM
I am taking Effexor SR right now. It really helps my depression and anxiety attacks. Believe me I know what you are going through. My whole life I have dealt with depression and panic attacks. I have tried paxil (which is good but takes away your sex drive)

Just know that you are not alone is dealing with this issue. There are lots of us out here that deal with it on a daily basis. For along time I was in denial and told my self that I could control my depression, mood swings and panic attacks (anxiety). But I am so grateful that I am back on them. Good luck with the doctors and just tell him like you told us. Let us know how it works out. Love Jeanne

CelliePieGrrl
01-30-2005, 11:18 PM
Lisa Marie and Jeanne, thank you both so much for responding. Lisa Marie, your post was very touching and thank you for your kind words. I am glad to know I am not alone in this, because sometimes I feel SO alone it's overwhelming. I don't really want to depend on meds to change how I am feeling, but at this point I don't really know what else to do or try. I will definitely talk to my doctor and see. I have experienced depression in the past, but it was always like a temporary thing...when I told my doctor in the past about it, he offered to give me a prescription but I always said no because I didn't want to go there. But I may need to give a try this time. Anyway thank you so much ladies, it means a lot. Hugs.

jftazzy102
01-31-2005, 12:51 AM
With what you are going through it would be a good thing to be on. They do help my depression, but I am able to still feel. When I get alittle depressed it ins't that overwhelming feelling like I have to run and hide feeling anymore. Good luck Sweethear.Lisa Marie and Jeanne, thank you both so much for responding. Lisa Marie, your post was very touching and thank you for your kind words. I am glad to know I am not alone in this, because sometimes I feel SO alone it's overwhelming. I don't really want to depend on meds to change how I am feeling, but at this point I don't really know what else to do or try. I will definitely talk to my doctor and see. I have experienced depression in the past, but it was always like a temporary thing...when I told my doctor in the past about it, he offered to give me a prescription but I always said no because I didn't want to go there. But I may need to give a try this time. Anyway thank you so much ladies, it means a lot. Hugs.

babygirl350
01-31-2005, 02:40 AM
Sorry to hear that you are having such a difficult time with depression now. It is a very difficult emotion to deal with.

It sounds like though you are taking a step in the right direction.

There are alot of antidepressants out there and the Dr. will find one that will work best for you depending on various health requirements.

Sometimes even they have to try different ones before the right one is found for you.

As far as addiction to them that is one thing you do not have to fear. Anti depressants are not addicting. Not in the physical sense anyway.

Now anxiety medicine is a different story. However, there are some antidepressants that work both on the depression as well as anxiety, as for alot of people they go hand in hand.

Good luck to you and hopefully you will be feeling better real soon.

They do take time to work in your system, so don't expect to feel differently for a while.

Terrysgurl
01-31-2005, 03:05 AM
I am taking Lexapro...I feel so much better after taking them...Alot of good advice in the other posts so I'm just gonna say sometimes you need a lil help and there is nothing wrong with getting it...Good luck!

BABYGIRL210
01-31-2005, 03:34 AM
Omg Girl Iam So Glad You Did This Thread I Know Exactly What Ur Going Thru.. Let Me Start Off By Saying Iam 19 Going 2 Be 20 In April Me And My Boyfriend Have Been 2gether For 2 Years And He Has Been Locked Up For Almost 5 Months For Something He Dident Do And Happened 3 Years Ago.. Hopefully His New Appeal Lawyer Will Get His Case Cleared Up B/c It Was Really Screwed Up.. Mean While Iam 19 I Was Going To College To Become A Lawyer This Is My Second Year... I Have Always Wanted To Be A Lawyer What A Coincidence Huh.... Anyways I Had Everything I Was Going To School I Was Working I Had My Own Car That My Parents Paid For I Dident Have Any Bills Or Responsibilites No Kids I Have Great Friends I Have Lots Of Family I Was Doing Good Then One By One Every Thing Came Down On Me... I Got Outts School Which Is Very Important To Me And Quit My Job Left My Friends And Boyfriend And Car And Family To Move From San Antonio To Corpus To Help My Half Sister From My Dads First Marriage With Her Kids... And To Help Her Get Strength And Self Esteem She Was In A Relationship With Her Babies Daddy And Hes A Good Person But Not A Good Provider.. He Doesnt Help And Still Acts Like A Boy When Hes 28 Already And Shes Very Pretty Skinny Nice Figure Anyways She Felt Like Shit So I Had To Go Help Her She Was Going Commite Suicide B/c She Needed Someone To Help Her... So I Went Without My Mothers Support B/c She Dident Want Me To Go B/c She Has This Thing With My Half Sister And Brothers.... Anyways Not Even 3 Weeks After I Left My Boyfriend Got Locked Up For Life... Hopefully That Will Chance Concidering Hes Really Innocent I Mean They Have Nothing On Him.. No Evidence Or Nothing... But Anyways I Wasent In School I Wasent Working And My Sister Was Getting Stronger However I Was Getting Weaker My Mom And Sister And Brother From My Moms First Marriage Werent Talking To Me My Boyfriend The Luv Of My Life Was Locked Up..... Even Tho My Mom And Sister And Brother Look Down On Me They Say Iam The Fuck Up Of The Family B/c Unlike My Bro And Sis I Dont Listen To What My Mom Tells Me... She Wants Me To Be A Nurse And I Am Going To Be A Lawyer She Wanted Me To Go To This College And I Wanted This College And Went So For Doing These Things Iam Considered The Lowlife Or Fuck Up.... Also Let Me Add My Bro And Sis From My Mom Are 29&28 Have Families And Outta The House But Still Do Everything My Mom Tells Them.. Lol And Me Iam Only 19 And My Sis And Bros From My Dad Are 29&28&25... Anyways My Mom Bro And Sis Expect So Much Outta Me Even Tho Iam The Lowlife...lol My Dad Got Fired Around This Time For Getting Hurt On The Job And By Doctors Orders Could Not Return To Work... And Since Iam The Youngest And Have No Family I Am The One Who Is Suppose To Take Care Of Them Even Tho My Mom Is Workings Still... I Am The Last One In The House AND THATS ONLY NATURAL And I Ve Had To Take Care Of Them So That Piles Up... Every One Comes To Me For Help Or For Something My Aunts, Cousin, Friends, Family. Which Is Good But Who Do I Go To? Well I Just Broke Down For The Past 5 Months Mainly The Past 4 Months I Went From The Happy Girl Who Had Her Life Straightened And Loved To Help And Was The Life Of The Party To The Girl Who Sits In Her Room And Cries All Day And Wants To Be Alone.. I Dont Feel Like I Can Talk To Anyone.... Iam Glad To Say That About 2 Months Ago My Bro From My Moms Side Decided To Help B/c It Got Really Bad And He Moved Me Up Here With Him IN SOUTH CAROLINA TO Help Me Get My Life Back Together My Parents Said That They Will Be Fine My Sister Kicked Out Her Immature B/f And Everyones Talking To Me Now It Took Me To Finally Tell My Mom That I Wanted To Die For Them To Realize How Serious This Was Tho.... And That Was The Hardest Thing.... And Now My Bro Is Trying To Get Me To Go To A Doctor And Get On Some Depression Pills Although Iam Kinda Nervous... I Think Its A Mind Over Matter Thing You Know I Think That I Have To Help Myself.. And Iam Kinda Afraid Of Taking Pills.... I Miss My B/f Very Much And Even Tho Iam Blessed That He Is Still Alive B/c He Just Barely Escaped The Death Penalty B/c Of His Age Hes 20 Going To Be 21 I Still Hurt B/c Whos To Say His New Lawyer Wont Be Able To Help... I Will Go The Rest Of My Life Knowing That The One Chance I Had At A True Love And A Life Of Happiness Was Ruined.... But Anyways I Would Also Like To Know About Some Pills... Sorry For My Book I Just Felt Like Sharing My Story Iam So Glad Iam Not Alone

Thank You

Babealicious
01-31-2005, 07:57 AM
Hey Twink, I had no idea you were doing this badly. :( I feel bad, because I know I haven't really been there for you like I should here lately and we don't seem to talk much these days, but I wish things would get better for you.

I'm really not the type of person that pushes pills on folks, but if you feel like this may help you, then go for it. The whole thing with depression/anxiety disorders and such is a chemical imbalance, as Doctors say, but there's also deeper issues surrounding it most of the time and you're gonna have to face those/work on them as well. Um, don't think I'm telling you what to do or anything, because it's not like that. I'm just saying from *my* personal experience and I'm probably not telling you anything you don't already know.

Listen girl, I don't want to get into my whole personal history/past here, because there's certain nosy indivudals that I don't like reading my crap ;) , but after you go to the Doctor and if she/he gives you something, let me know what it is and I can most likely give you a personal story on it. Lol, let's just say I have pretty much been a human lab rat for Doctors over the years.... although, I am not currently on anything. [even though they say I should be, haha.]

Damn... I need to update my sig, LOL.

Take care, my Twinkster. <333333

1dayatatime
01-31-2005, 08:05 AM
Celene,
There are tons of antidepressants out there. You just have to fing the right one for you. Antidepressants are not addictive but you have to be careful with the anxiety drugs like Klonopin and Xanax both are highly addictive. There are good but just be careful and only take them in extreme emergencies. Lexapro is good as is Paxil CR. Most of all of them effect your sex drive so just be sure and go off of them a few weeks before your man comes home.

Take care of yourlsef. If you want any info about any med PM me. If I dont know the answer I will talk to the psychiatrists I work with and get the info for you.

ONE

****remember most of the meds take about 2 weeks, some longer to take effect so do not expect and immediate change in your emotions

Lions Heart
01-31-2005, 08:18 AM
1dayatatime is correct in the addictive nature of some of the anti-anxiety medications. If you can you should stay clear of any benzo's (benzodiazapines). Most anxiety can be treated by learning coping skills to calm your nerves and to keep your thoughts from racing and getting away from you. I know of a couple tricks to help. A lot of the anti-depressants can help with both the depression and the anxiety. A lot of work can also be done with how you think that will lessen your depression and anxiety. Maybe you should get an appointment with a therapist as well as a psychiatrist. You should find a therapist that you click with and don't stay with one if you don't feel that they are helping. Good luck. Remember what 1dayatatime said as well. Most do effect your sex drive (newer ones not so much) and they take a while before they build up enough in your blood to see any results. The problems don't disappear with a pill but should be bearable. Take Care!

CelliePieGrrl
01-31-2005, 11:00 PM
Thank you all so, so, so much ladies...all of your warm responses and info mean the world to me! Thank you. I am exhausted (all day work and school today) and I am getting up early to see my hubby so I will respond more to ya'lls post when I return Wednesday. I just wanted to let ya'll know how much I appreciate it and also am taking everyone's advice into consideration. :) Hugs.

AmyLynn
02-01-2005, 06:08 AM
Celene You are making a big step in helping yourself. I have a child that take paxil for depression and Anxiety it works for her. I was on prazac for about a year and then got off it when I learned to deal with things better. I hope that you and your doctor find the right meds for you. There is nothing to be ashamed of when dealing with this,in this day and age.

juliwaits
02-01-2005, 06:18 AM
Paxil is great and without it I was a mess! I've taken it for like 6 years and it never affected my sex drive. It just depends what works with your body. Effexor didn't help me at all, it helped a friend of mine but caused sexual problems.
Your doctor will have you try a few different ones to see what's right. Right now, a pill to take away a sex drive sounds like a GOOD thing (smile).. my husband's been "away" almost 2 years.

MiaBellaAngela
02-01-2005, 07:08 AM
Praxil, prozac, wellbutrin. There are different types. Some are SSRI's and some are dopamine enhancers. Your doctor should know all about these as they are very commonly prescribed drugs. I hope you get in soon and feel better. It is important to take this medication AS PRESCRIBED and follow all directions. Once you get your meds, pm me and I can give you more information. You will have side affects for about 3 weeks and then feel much better!

CelliePieGrrl
02-03-2005, 06:44 PM
Thanks so much ladies for all the responses. They all mean a lot and I am taking them all into consideration. However...I don't know, I have almost had a change of heart in the last few days. I am feeling very hopeful and optimistic and like I can do this on my own, without meds. Just seeing my hubby on Tuesday really inspired me, and I don't want meds to change who I am. I don't know, I still am not ruling it all out. But I think I am going to give it a little while longer to see if I can do this on my own, without meds. :)

Thanks so much for all the replies, they are all very helpful and I will come back to this if I do decide indeed that I need to take something.

California Sunshine
02-05-2005, 12:24 PM
I have tried many such as prozac,celexa,wellbutrin,lexapro etc. I think the one that worked best for me was Celexa.I am presently not on any for depression but am thinking I may need to try something again,just not sure.For anxiety my Doc gave me a perscription for Xanax after a panic attack a few years ago.It is a very small dose but when I am feeling very anxious or my heart is beating iregularly I take one and it really helps in calming me down w/o leaving me feeling sluggish or sleepy.

Hang in there baby I know the feelings all to well.If ya need to talk ya know where I am :)

RosieG
02-23-2005, 06:46 PM
I had the best results and least side effects with Wellbutrin XL. But it depends on the person really I think. I hope you have luck in finding the right medication for yourself without too much hassle! Take care.