View Full Version : Camden county jail

coach
01-21-2005, 11:28 AM
next week i will be sentenced to 180 days in the camden county jail for a third dwi. (its been 12 years since my 2nd, talk about screwing up)

i have never been in jail before and look for some help and guidance.

i am professionally employed and hope to qualify for work release. does anyone know how his works?

i understand the first 7 days are reserved for testing and evaluating. any helpful hints here?

i understand you may not bring anything with you to jail but rather must purchase items from the jail store. how does this work and what are the items available for sale? how do they deal with a person who wears contact lenses and glasses?

is the internet accessable to you while in jail? can you send/ recieve email?

is visitation only one day a week as i read on the camden county jail website?

how does time off for good behavior work? is there a formula to calculate the time? ie for every 30 days served x number of days are subtracted from the 180.

this will get us started and i would appreciate all responses good and bad to best prepare myself for this experience.

look forward to your responses

mlle_keiko
01-21-2005, 12:19 PM
County Prison Profile: Camden County

Inmate Accounts :

The Inmate Accounts Department is responsible for the collection of money coming into the facility. They are also responsible for all monetary transactions (user-fee, medical co-pay, commissary) that occur during an inmate's stay at the facility.

For any questions about an inmate's account, please call 225-7628.

Mailroom:
The Mailroom is available to family/friends for the purpose of depositing money on an inmate's account (Cash or Postal Money Order). Inmates may also release property through the Mailroom

The Mailroom hours are as follows:

Daily:

8:30 am to 11:00 am
12:00 Noon to 3:00 pm
5:00 pm to 9:00 pm

Visiting:
All visits are by appointment only.
Visiting times are as follows:

Monday & Wednesday - 3rd & 4th Floors
Tuesday, Wednesday & Thursday - 2 North
Wednesday & Thursday - 2 South
Tuesday & Thursday - 5th & 6th Floors
Saturday - Modular Units (except South 5 & 7)
Sunday - Modular Units South 5 & 7
Visitors must call the Visiting Desk directly (225-7618 or 225-7689) to schedule their visit. Visitors must call on Tuesdays thru Sundays to schedule their visits for the next week. They may arrive in person on Fridays to schedule their visits. Visitors will not be permitted to visit if they arrive late. All "no-shows" will be counted as a visit.

Times to call for an appointment:

8:30 AM - 11:00 AM
12:00 PM - 3:00 PM
5:00 PM - 9:00 PM

Important Phone Numbers:

Admissions Department: 225-7634/35/37
C.S.L.S. Programs: 225-7619
Counseling Unit/Classification: 225-7614
Information Desk (Visits): 225-7618/7689
Inmate Accounts Department: 225-7628
R.A.M.P. Program: 225-5457
Religious Services: 225-7608
Road Crew Program: 225-7619
Snow Removal Program: 1-800-613-1199
Work Release Program: 225-7643

mlle_keiko
01-21-2005, 12:27 PM
the visits are one per week and they are only 20 min non-contact visits...the person has to arive at least 15 min before the visit...you can't go into the building earlier, as they have the door locked...also they "wand" you down in the little vestibule area. When you go in, you sign into a BIG book and then you stand in line and they check the computer to make sure you're on the list and have a visit. Then you go wait in the "waiting room" and you go up in elevators to the visit area. You aren't able to bring anything in with you, they will hold your keys, id...etc and put them in lockers behind the desk.

As for canteen, you have to order everything through them. I think there is a 10% surcharge added on to what ever you buy. You can order canteen weekly.

I'm really not sure what else to tell you.

MrsPhil
01-21-2005, 01:00 PM
Welcome to PTO. Just thought I would add that inmates DO NOT have access to the internet. Good luck to you. Hope your time goes fast.

mlle_keiko
01-21-2005, 01:01 PM
ohhh I forgot you can only have 3 people on your visit list and it can only be changed at the begining of the month....but if you change names, it takes a week for the change to take place.

marriola482
01-21-2005, 01:06 PM
Welcome to PTO! One thing I can tell you, just like Keiko said, is that your visitors MUST be early. I used to get inline 30-45 minutes before time. I've seen many people told to leave when they were a minute late.

Good luck to you!

scorp70249
06-21-2005, 06:43 PM
I never in my life was treated so bad from an officer at the Camden County admission Dept.. I am a mother of a 23 year old daughter who I moved back to Camden County for , I moved back to save my daughter from going back to streets and returning to, and God knows what else ... And when I called to see what time my daughter was being released I was treated so rudely by an officer. He treated me like I was the criminal. And I made a comment why they were releasing woman on the streets of Camden after 11:00pm at night, I mean we are talking about Camden here, I lived in Polk County Florida and they would not release anyone after 4pm , cause they were afraid someone would get hurt or killed releasing woman to late in the evening ... And that place was nothing like Camden or as bad. He made a smart comment and hung up on me. How can they allow officer to talk to family members like that, when all they want is an answer in a nice tone, I am not the one in jail, I should never be treated in such a manner. Or should any other family member. We are law abiding citizens, why are we treated so bad when asking one simple question that he could have just said I don't know to, instead of being so rude to me.:mad:

shortyncute
06-21-2005, 07:08 PM
Its been 4 years since I have went to camden co. Many things have changed since than. They never had a "wand" cause they would hold everything. I dont understand cause they are behind a glass...and u talk on a phone. Its not like you could run. You have to go on Elavaters to get back down, but hey, its camden. When Donald was there I got to "know" 2 of the guards. One was a tall (6'4) blk guy..I remember cause he use to call me Mrs. Watkins. (My mans last name) and there was a white guy that was really nice. Sometimes he use to get us extra visits. One time DOnald was in Lock down and we had to go into this private room. :) We use to call it our room. It was nice..but they didnt have the phone so u couldnt really hear eachother. Well, one time he forgot about us. It was funny. He come in like a hour later. :)

marriola482
06-21-2005, 07:16 PM
Aww, scorp, I'm sorry to hear that you had a bad experience with a CO from Camden County. I haven't been there since last year and I never really had a really bad experience. It's a shame when we are treated inhumanely just because we happen to have a loved one in prison. Hugs to you and welcome to pto!

princess329
10-30-2009, 09:40 AM
hi my fiancee is going to be transferred over from philly to camden county. How long are visits and how many people can see him during 1 week cause he has alot of family members in camden who what to see him and it is going to be hard for me to get to see him if they go and i don't know about it and do you really have to make an appointment to visit in camden county jail.

quans*wifey
11-09-2009, 06:06 PM
hi my fiancee is going to be transferred over from philly to camden county. How long are visits and how many people can see him during 1 week cause he has alot of family members in camden who what to see him and it is going to be hard for me to get to see him if they go and i don't know about it and do you really have to make an appointment to visit in camden county jail.

this is how it goes for camden county:
they say the visits are 30min but they are 20 and dont let anyone tell you anything different lol...they allow 3 names on the visiting list so he can get 3 visits in 1 week (one a person) if he puts you're name 3 times you can go three times in one week and to schedule a visit its friday saturday and sunday those are the only days u schedule and yes you HAVE TO! all our stuff had to go in the locker and you cnt show like any boobs no shorts or anything...if you have anymore questions im sure i can answer them cause i asked them like everything in the book and my man was only there for 2 weeks and a day lol