View Full Version : Racial factors in MS with the Killen trial, and other interesting comments

Amy
01-21-2005, 09:38 AM
http://www.blackamericaweb.com/site.aspx/bawnews/kane120

I found this article on blackamericaweb.com. It makes mention of the new trial regarding the Klan murders and the Killen trial. More shocking to me was the comment that "more black men should be in prison." It is a very interesting read.

Commentary: Lamenting Over Black Men in Prison? More Need to Be There

Date: Wednesday, January 19, 2005
By: Gregory Kane, BlackAmericaWeb.com (http://www.blackamericaweb.com/site.aspx/authors/10002)

So how did the folks at Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore commemorate the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s birthday? Why, they brought in Rev. Jesse Jackson of course, to harumph about the awful number of black men in prison.

Jackson said some good things along the way. Some of them were downright alarming, in as much as they left me agreeing with him. When he told members of the audience crammed into an auditorium that the Union couldn’t have won the Civil War without black folks, I was right with him.

When, in a news conference after his speech, he said he wasn’t at all impressed that the state of Mississippi finally, after four decades, filed murder charges against one of the men who killed three civil rights workers in 1964, we were on the same page. But then the reverend mentioned that “black men in prison” thing again.

“I’m more appalled that there are more young black men in jail in every state,” Jackson said when a television reporter asked him if he was appalled that it took Mississippi over 40 years to charge alleged Ku Klux Klansman Edgar Ray Killen with murdering Michael Schwerner, James Cheney and Andrew Goodman.

Jackson isn’t the only one who feels that way, so I can’t criticize just him for such foolishness. What I can do is make sure everybody gets this point: there are too few, not too many, black men in prison.

Before you start howling, I’ll grant one concession: I speak for the city of Baltimore only. I don’t know how it is in Dallas or Chicago or Detroit or New York, although I have a darned good guess. But I know how it is in Baltimore. And in this town, there are definitely black men walking the streets who, for their good and the good of the thousands of citizens of all races who live here — but especially black folks — could use a long stretch in the state pen.

Jackson made his remark surrounded by no fewer than four black state legislators from Baltimore. All of them know the carnage that goes on almost daily in this town: 278 murders last year, almost all of them young black men killing young black men. Not one of those legislators had the guts to pull the good reverend up on his comments and say “Actually, Rev. Jackson, in this town we need scores more black men in prison.”

I’ll take as a case in point Earl Rodney Monroe Jr., who was 15 when he was shot dead on Baltimore’s streets last June. Monroe should have been in one of the two state juvenile institutions that Jackson and the black liberal clique currently misleading black America think are so awful. Monroe had 11 prior arrests for drug dealing. The system figured it was better to rehabilitate than incarcerate him. Monroe ended up being rehabilitated to death.

In November of 2003, two of those hooligans Jackson sheds such tears for walked up to 20-year-old Quwanda Thornton as she waited at a bus stop. They got fresh. She told them to get lost. One of them fatally shot her. Both, 16-year-old twins, were on probation at the time, no doubt thanks to the “let’s mollycoddle black criminals” mentality of those who think like the good reverend.

Black men killing black men isn’t a crisis with either our misleaders or the rest of us. But black women with AIDS is a crisis. Gwen Ifill was almost canonized when she asked Vice President Dick Cheney and then-vice presidential candidate John Edwards what they would do about the rise in AIDS cases among black women.

Either candidate could have answered with another question: “Isn’t the number of black men killed by black men higher than the number of black women who’ve died of AIDS?”

But whether it’s black men killing black men or black men infecting black women with AIDS, the problem is still one rooted in conduct. Asking two white men what they can do to change the conduct of black men engaging in outrageous, immoral and criminal conduct is a tacit nod to white supremacy.

And a black leader whining about black men who should be in prison actually being in prison is publicly admitting that he can’t lead worth a tinker’s dam.