View Full Version : Transfer to Halfway House

brandiwine2409
01-19-2005, 05:58 AM
I just found out that a friend of mine was just released from Camp Hill (Monday Jan 10th), and was transfered to a halfway house in York, Pa. How do I find out what halfway house he was transfered to and how to get into contact with him. Also, can they receive letters at halfway houses? If anyone can let me know I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

bethbupp
01-19-2005, 05:15 PM
Hi,
I just put in a phone call to a friend of mine who spent some time in a female halfway house in York. Hopefully, she will have some answers for you. I'll let you know when I hear from her. In the meantime, I know that there are halfway houses listed on the inmate locator on the DOC site. But I THINK that people are only listed as being there if they are there for pre-release, not parole. I do know that my friend used to hang out at the mall with my son, and went to church with us once, while she was in the halfway house. (She worked with him at Wolfgang Candy.) So they SHOULD be able to get mail!

bfawayinpa
01-19-2005, 06:02 PM
yeah they can get mail.I dont know how to find out about halfway houses and i don't think you can.

bethbupp
01-19-2005, 06:13 PM
Hey, I was just looking at the online regs for mail, for an answer to someone else's question, and it said that they forward mail for 60 days after release. So you SHOULD be able to write to your friend. Of course the regs had some other lies in there, like incoming mail has to be delivered within 24 hours, and packages within 2 days. That would explain why my mail took a week to get to my son for the first year he was in, right? (I live 4 miles away!)

brandiwine2409
01-20-2005, 07:35 AM
Thanks for your help. I called Camp Hill and they said they cannot give me the information to what halfway house he was put into, but I think I narrowed it down to two of them that are located in York, Pa. Today I will call them and see if they could atleast let me know if he is there.

bethbupp
01-31-2005, 02:11 AM
My friend finally returned my call. Apparently, she actually used to date someone who was in the male halfway house in York. She said that they are on a "blackout" for the first 2 weeks they are there, but then they go out and get jobs, and pretty much live their lives. Curfew is 11 pm. She said that she used to go there to report to her PO, and it wasn't a bad place at all. Have you located your friend yet?

jenpalmer71
02-05-2005, 09:30 PM
From my experience the blackout period was only one week and they were allowed to make phone calls during that week. I don't think they will tell you if he is there when you call. I don't believe that they are allowed to. I think your best bet would be to send a letter to Camp Hill and they will forward it to him. Halfway houses aren't all bad, even though they do have their downfalls. But much better than prison, that's for sure. After they are there and get jobs they can get home visits which is cool. If you have any questions you can PM me and I can try to help ya...Hope you found your friend by now.

donnysgirl4life
02-05-2005, 10:01 PM
My man was in a halfway house in Michigan.. "blackout" was 2 weeks, then he was allowed to come home for 12 hrs..9am to 9pm, after that. If you call around, they WILL NOT tell you if he is there..trust me i tried to find out where he was until he came home, becuase he had no way of getting in touch with me. They have to get a job, and they cant call only once the day they get to leave for 12 hrs to tell whoever is picking them up, the time theyre getting out..*Michigan Experience*

jenpalmer71
02-06-2005, 06:39 PM
I didn't have exactly that experience with the PA halfway house. We knew the day and time he was getting out ahead of time, blackout was only a week, and visits were different. First they were for 6 hours, then a couple weeks later they were 8 hours and then a couple more weeks down the road they were 12 hours. Phone calls were not collect but had to use change to call. Things may be different in Michigan. Just letting you know my experience. Good luck.

brandiwine2409
02-07-2005, 11:37 AM
Thanks everyone. Yes, I did finally find him! A friend of mine heard where he was at and I got a phone number to call him. He is allowed out from 7am to 7pm...and must check in every four hours unless he is at work. He should be getting out in about a week: )