View Full Version : Making excusses to NOT workout

TNC
01-17-2005, 02:12 PM
The one thing I wanted for Christmas was a membership to a club. My dad got it for me and told me that after I lose weight he will then get me a new wardrobe.

My biggest fear about the gym is that all those healthy people will be thinking "WOW what a big girl". Once I got in there I was fine, but it was actually getting through that door.

I told Chris what my fears of the gym were and he said "they will think your brave and have courage for doing this. They will think WOW she's trying to get healthy" and I suppose he's right, but I am used to all my life people seeing me as a big girl.

In the conversation with my husband he told me that the hardest part about working out is NOT making excusses to no do it. He works out all the time and he asked me "didnt you feel so much better after you worked out". He said its all about making the lifestyle change and incorperating the workout.

I was planning on working out today, but the kids didnt have school so I found that becaues I didnt have to get up I continued to hit snooze.

I feel so guilty for not going now, but because I have a fear of those "skinny people" its easy for me to make excusses. I did end up doing crunches at home so its not like I did nothing, but I didnt do what I should have

lovespell
01-17-2005, 02:16 PM
Well I can see where you are coming from, but have you been to the gym lately?
It is much more than just "skinny people". It seems that everyone these days are tying to eat healthier, exercise, and get results. You have to stop worrying about what others will think of you, instead think of what you will think of yourself once you drop the weight.
Really sweetie, the gym is to lose weight, or you can also think of "I bet these people were as big as me until they came here everyday" good luck...you can do it if you put your mind to it and really want to do it. Who cares what anybody thinks and honestly no one is thinking anything of you. GOod Luck!

TNC
01-17-2005, 02:23 PM
I know you are right in everything you say. I did go on friday and I really had a good workout. I know that by going I will feel better. The time slot that works best for me happens to be when more seniors are in there. For me that does help. I would rather workout with them then a much younger group.

I have always been one who worries what others think. That is one of my biggest problems. I think a lot of that comes from being picked on as a kid because of my weight. I know that there is a big differance between adults and mean jr high kids, but those kids made such a inpact on my insecurities.

I know that even just recently I have become more confident then I was. That is a plus because I know that I am starting to overcome some of these issues, but as of now they are still there

MrsPhil
01-17-2005, 02:29 PM
I know how you feel about going to a gym and you feel like all the skinny people are looking at you. That was a fear for me also. Then I found a new excuse! The local gyme here is where all the CO's in our area go. There are 4 prisons and a county jail within 20 minutes of me. No offense to them but they are not people I want to be at the gym with. However, I just found out that the place I was going for PT for the ankle I broke offers it's patients use of there gym. It's a little more expensive than the regular health club and smaller but it will work for me and I can just go month to month and don't have to take a membership. So I am going to try that.

AEMS
01-17-2005, 02:32 PM
I am right there with ya girlie!!! i hate the gym. My man works out all the time and I tell him when he comes home he will motivate me. He says I should get in the habit now, but gosh I hate the darn gym. All I can tell ya is keep pushing yourself. You will feel much better in the long run. Before you know it you will be one of those skinny people in the gym!!! Now if I could take my own advice and go myself!!! LOL!!! Keep going girl!

betrayed_4_life
01-17-2005, 02:40 PM
My biggest fear about the gym is that all those healthy people will be thinking "WOW what a big girl". Once I got in there I was fine, but it was actually getting through that door.

I told Chris what my fears of the gym were and he said "they will think your brave and have courage for doing this. They will think WOW she's trying to get healthy" and I suppose he's right,

Hmm I think someone else told you this too honey. I am proud of you.

Nawna
01-17-2005, 03:15 PM
They have health clubs that is called Curves and its mostly for women and the not so skinny, and they have differnet rooms for your different weight. I've never been but I've heard all about it from a friend. That might be an option for you if you can change your membership. Good Luck and remember its not called excersing its called getting healthy.

lovenomore
01-17-2005, 03:27 PM
I use to think the same thing!! My family bought me memberships after memberships at the Y and other gyms but I was always so embarrassed I would go maybe twice and thats it! I started doing things on my own like rollarblading in the park and jogging at dusk or dawn! So no one really saw me I lost 40 lbs doing that now I have a treadmil of my own because I work a lot and can't find the time or the sitter to get to the gym! Did you think of that because I just bought the treadmill and it was cheaper then a membership! I also found a home gym in the classifieds so I am all set up now!!
Good luck.... Just think about how good you are going to look for your new husband the next time you hit snoze!!!

asweetangel99
01-17-2005, 03:29 PM
Im also a 'big girl'. I got a Y membership last year, and try as hard as i can to go at least 3 times a week. I was a bit self concious about being around other fitness buffs, and hotties. The Y has a 12 week Y fitness program to get you into a routine and you work out in a secluded area away from everyone else, no one else can go in there to bother you and its free with your Y membership.

TNC, my advise to you is to think about what you are getting from this than what you are loosing out on. I too get real guilty feelin' when i sleep in instead of darn well knowing i should have been at the Y. Or coming home from work and not going to work out...That is what keeps me moving, even if i only go for 30 min, that is better than not going at all. I hate that green lil' guilty monster that visits when i dont go or eat BAD. Not to say im a rabbit, but i try to make good food choices. Once you go more regularly, you will get into the habit of liking how it makes you feel afterwards, and you will have more engery to want to go, see the snowball forming here? I am still battling loosing the weight, but even if the pounds dont go away quick, there are benefits to getting the excercise such as loosing cholesterol points, dropping the blood pressure, etc. I am here for ya if u ever want to chat, PM me :) I wish PTO had a group of "big girls" supporting each other.. that would be good.

magoo
01-17-2005, 03:39 PM
i am the same way about making excuses to not go to the gym. i work 12 hr shifts and am on call so i really don't have the energy. but sisnce it is -46 right now, i can't do something outside so i guess i should be at the gym. i haven't gone since christmas so i better get there.
i am not scared of the skinny people since i guess i am pretty small myself but i would like to lose 20 puonds and build muscle. curves is good for alot of poeple. it is geared towards women who are bigger and are not comfortable going to a typical gym.
also my mom brought me home Dr PHils book on permenent weight loss the other day and i laughed at her but then i started to read it and do the quizs and it is really quite helpful.

TNC
01-17-2005, 09:45 PM
Hmm I think someone else told you this too honey. I am proud of you.
You are so very right that someone else told me that ;) I think it hit me differant when Chris said it because he's never had this kind if insecurity or weight issue. I know its not something he understands. He really sees it from a healthy persons views.

And thank you for everything you've done. You have also been wonderful support and encouragment

sellenburg
01-18-2005, 12:45 AM
Personally, when I started checking out gyms or fitness centers...whatever the proper term is for them..LOL, this past Nov. I found that the Curves here in town where VERY snobby. I called the mainones here (Lifestyles, Golds, curves and the other one escapes me at the moment) and the lady from Curves was just very snobby. That turned me off of them. Lifestyles was the same way. i ended up joining the local Gold Gym, and I too was very nervous about going. But, I knew I wanted to lose the weight. When I went for the tour, i was amazed to see people of all shapes and sizes. (Don't get me wrong, I still cringe when little MISS size 2 or 4 gets on the treadmill next to me, but not for long).

I jioned the middle of nov and can now <<<<squeeze into a stretchy size 6>> (key word there is "stretchy"..LMAO) But seriously, I attempt to go 3 days a week for at least an hour, although usually I only get there 2 times. i have gone from a 12/14 to a 9/11 and some 8's (and of course those stretchy pair of 6's, which are still snug). I found that I really enjoy it. Its my "ME" time. I take my mp player and tune out everything else.

Of course I tried two machines that I thought looked really easy...ha ha ha ha...I lasted all of 2 minutes before slapping the STOP button..LOL but I figure it will be the same as the treadmill, start slow and go up. (One of these was tonight..the stair thingy...HA HA HA... I hit the weight loss button, typed in my info and the thing took off. I managed 2minutes and 45 seconds on that one!

The one thing I was afraid of was seeing all the tiny gals there. But I have found that alot of them are really nice and very helpful. One lady was orginally a size 24 when she started there 11 months ago and now she is a 6. She helped me with a different treadmill and gave me some pointers.

One thing I want to do is find someone to go with. Maybe you could find someone there or willing to join you, that way you wouldn't feel self concious.

Good luck! By joining, you have accomplished part of the goal!

TNC
01-18-2005, 12:57 AM
I agree that getting started is half the battle. I would love to have someone go with me, but I dont know of anyone who could afford it.

I know that everyone is busy in there own workout to really care who walks through the doors, but I just cant get past it. I guess the only real way for me to do so is continue being strong and walk through those doors each day. Eventaully I will be known as a "regular" and they wont even notice me there.